Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Got my certificate!

WOW! Like Happyball said,this is season of SUCCESS!

I got a call from the USCIS this morning, ask me to coming into the office in the afternoon. So I went after lunch, there is a form for me to fill, and they take the green card. After 10 minutes, the director came over and did the oath for me and then handed me the certificate! So 3 days before the deadline, I am a US Citizen
:D

ApplyInDenver said:

I got a call from the USCIS this morning, ask me to coming into the office in the afternoon. So I went after lunch, there is a form for me to fill, and they take the green card. After 10 minutes, the director came over and did the oath for me and then handed me the certificate! So 3 days before the deadline, I am a US Citizen

:) :) Congratulations my friend :) :)
Well done

Last edited by a moderator:
wowwwwww!
congrats.

truly happy for you, denver in mile high!

ApplyInDenver said:

LA Morrocco, good start

LA Morrocco;
I remember when I read your very first post about a month ago, I have been following this board daily, and saw how informed you became, I see that you just filed your 1447(b) yesterday, I just want to say to you, good luck, be strong, I will follow up your case, I really hope you will get it. You will experience a roller coaster ride of various feelings as little problems rise, and then get solved, keep reading this forum daily, it will calm you down.
Best of luck.
PD: 11/17/2005
Las Vegas Office
ID: 04/21/2006
1447(b) filed: 08/28/2006
USA served: 8/28/06
Rest of defendants served between 8/29/06 and 9/13/06
Answer due: 10/27/06
My Assistant US Attorney is a not so nice person, he agreed to talk to me after I bugged him several times, and he gave me hints that pressing charges will not make any difference in my application.
My judge is very conservative, he once ruled against freedom of speech right, and through a man in jail for criticizing the government and banned his book from sale.
But, I will go till the end, I'd rather try and lose, than take the unjustice in silence and regret later for not trying.
Good luck everybody.

LAmorocco said:
Khalafah,
Can you postpone your travel? Now, that you're suing and will be spending money on a lawyer, you don't want to screw up your Natz man!
Your leaving the US for several months after filing 1447(b) doesn't look good at all, not only vis-a-vis your lawyer but also thr court handleing your case (if they find out). Can your family come visit instead? or can you go for a shorter period of time?
Good luck

khan4nwfp said:
My name check has also been pending since 4/06. I am gathering information to file for 1447b. I would like to know the following or have them confirmed from some of you that have recenlty done this and could let me know anything I need to be careful of.
1. Is there a particular format I need to follow for the complaint. I dowloaded the info from phoenix district court & all it mentioned was using 8 1/2 X 11 size paper?

That's the size I used for my petition. Typed it with microsoft word. I checked a few petitions in PACER and picked a style I liked and used it.

2. Who is best to send summons to & mention in the complaint. I have seen some of you including FBI while some have not. Can you please advise which way to go.

I read in AILA (who to sue and whome to serve) that it is better to be inclusive (list many defendants). If your name check is pending, you need to list the FBI. I've seen petitons where they listed CIA. I didn't in mine (see below).
These are the defendants I listed in my petition.

MICHAEL CHERTOFF, )
Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, )
EMILIO GONZALEZ, )
Director of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration )
Services of the Department of Homeland Security, )
DENIS RIORDAN, )
District Director of the Boston Regional Office of the )
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, )
ETHAN ENZER, )
Officer in Charge of the Hartford Office of the United )
States Citizenship and Immigration Services, )
ALBERTO GONZALES, )
Attorney General of the United States, )
ROBERT S. MUELER, III )
Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigations

3. Do summons get stamped the day I file my complaint or do I go back to the court and pick them up?

a- I went first time: clerk gave me info (court rule etc).
b- I went 2nd time: gave 12 copies of my petition and a check $350. The clerk said to come back the following day to pick up my petitions.
c-I went the following day: my 12 petitions were stamped (case number and judge intials). She gave me summons to fill out. She said I could fill out summons on the spot and have them stamped right away. However, I didn't have the addresses of the defendants with me and also I wanted to type neatly instead of hand writing.
d-I went following day with my neat typed summons and had them signed and stamped.
4. Is it possible to hand deliver the summon to AUSA or USA office? Are they usually located in the district court. If so do I need to show proof that it was hand delivered?

Many people do. Have the US atty office stamp your "return of service". I intend to do same thing. Write this:
I, first last name,certify that on October X, 2006 I caused the summon and a copy of PETITION OF HEARING ON NATURALIZATION APPLICATION UNDER 8 USC § 1447(b) to be served personally upon:

name of US atty
Street
City, State, Zip

5. How long should I be waiting to hear anything about my case once the summons or the case is filed?

60 days is the time they're given by court to get back to you.

Is the case/dockett number assigned the same day you file the complaint?

No. This happens only in very urgent cases. In my case, it took 24hr.

Cheers

ApplyInDenver said:

WOWWWWWWWWW... Another winner here. Congratulations! And congratulations to all winners!

ApplyInDenver, you had a wonderful+beautiful hearing experience! Enjoy your victory!!!

Just filed my WOM today

The Pro Se clerk is very nice. I called before I went there, so I walked in with 11 copies of my complaints. The clerk finished the whole process within an hour. Right after I walked out of the court house, I mailed the summons to all the defendants, NY uscis district director, NY attnorney in General with certified mails... My journey begins today.

hayyyoot said:
LA Morrocco;
I remember when I read your very first post about a month ago, I have been following this board daily, and saw how informed you became, I see that you just filed your 1447(b) yesterday, I just want to say to you, good luck, be strong, I will follow up your case, I really hope you will get it. You will experience a roller coaster ride of various feelings as little problems rise, and then get solved, keep reading this forum daily, it will calm you down.
Best of luck.
PD: 11/17/2005
Las Vegas Office
ID: 04/21/2006
1447(b) filed: 08/28/2006
USA served: 8/28/06
Rest of defendants served between 8/29/06 and 9/13/06
Answer due: 10/27/06
My Assistant US Attorney is a not so nice person, he agreed to talk to me after I bugged him several times, and he gave me hints that pressing charges will not make any difference in my application.
My judge is very conservative, he once ruled against freedom of speech right, and through a man in jail for criticizing the government and banned his book from sale.
But, I will go till the end, I'd rather try and lose, than take the unjustice in silence and regret later for not trying.
Good luck everybody.
Hayyyoot,
Thanks for your kind words. Everything I learned was given to me by you guys in this forum. The energy, tenacity, support and optimism of people in this forum dragged me out of my procrastination to deal with USCIS.
I am sorry to hear your US atty and judge are tough. I pray for you my friend that your petition goes through with no complication.
Best of luck

Congratulations!

boston_case said:
I got my oath letter today. What a relief !!

Very happy today. More happy to think that I don't have to deal
with CIS any time soon. I wish goodluck to all the members of this
board and am very thankful to the founders of this thread like
Publicus, Bashar, Mohammadx2 etc.

Congratulations, good job!

It will add more leverage to all who is fighting USCIS incompetancy. Best of luck in the future!

Congratulations. You deserved it and enjoy your freedom at this great country.

Jack

ApplyInDenver said:

naelag said:
Another case won by the good guys. I have learned so much from this forum, I thought I would share my timeline.

12/27/05 N-400 application
4/13/06 Interview -- name check pending
8/28/06 1447(b) filed, Northern District of New York
10/11/06 phone call from USCIS: name check cleared, and oath ceremony scheduled 11/17

My question: it seems that USCIS is not aware that I had a case pending, and went ahead and adjudicated my application, even though they technically do not have jurisdiction to do so. How do you think I should approach this? just dismiss the case and show up to the oath ceremony?

Congratulations, job well done.

ApplyInDenver said:

Wow, that was fast, congratulations! Any luck left to share with us? ;)

Thanks Haddy and update information to share

Haddy said:
Dear friends,

Happyball has created a beautiful format for all of us... In case any one planning to Dismiss their own case after getting their desired results... before AUSA come up with their own plain language (which I always feel like is saying that there was nothing wrong... USCIS never screwed up... and we fized the problems... Plaintiffs should be thankful)... :mad:

anways look at this format and change it to suit your case...

"On DATE, Pro Se Plaintiffs XXX and XXX, filed a complaint for a Writ in the Nature of Mandamus & Declaratory Judgment, seeking adjudication of their applications for adjustment of status (AOS). Their Applications for Adjustment of Status were pending for ## years and ## days. On DATE, our AOS applications were approved. The Defendants were not only able to complete our application processes but also able to send us our I-551 Green Cards within ## days of filing this complaint with this Honorable court. Respectfully, the Defendants only acted after filing this complaint. There was no other remedy available to the Pro Se Plaintiffs. So as the Defendants have acted upon our Prayers we hereby request this honorable court to please dismiss our complaint."

Good Luck.

Haddy, you are really gentleman! The copyright of this format is yours! Thank you very much for your new version. I saw your point. I like it!

There is a interesting thing I would like to share with all the friends here. Finally I recieved a letter dated 10/05/06 from FBI today. And inform me they recived my letter which directed to first Lady, was forward to the Dept of Justice and subsequently to the FBI (I mail this letter to first lady in August, 2006 and first lady is really working hard to forward our letter to FBI) and tell me the status of my and my spouse's name check: Both namecheck requests were recieved on Jan.,2005. My name check was finalized on 09/14 and my spouse's name check was finalized on 09/15. Both results were forwarded to the USCIS Headquarter, Washington D.C. Compare to my timeline (including the timeline in my signature):

Person served------C & S Delivered
US Attorney General------09/10
Secretary of the DHS------09/11
Director of USCIS, DHS------09/11
Director of FBI------09/11
Acting Director of USCIS CSC-----09/06

DA------09/06(not properly served)
---------09/18

I have more clear picture for my case now. I think I really did the right thing: file the lawsuit. Hope this information is helpful to all the friends who are still fighting or preparing to fight.

Best wishes! :)

Congratulationssssssssss

I feel so excited for all of you guys, for some reason I feel that everyone on this forum is like a family member.
Apply in Denver, Boston case, Haddy, Happy, naelag and all others many heart-felt congratulations, time to enjoy life without USCIS in the back of your mind all the time. Now that you are citizens please remember to VOTE in every election for those who are immigrant friendly representatives. Remeber to oust those congressmen and senators who just ignored your requests for help, and remember to check on us, poor name check slaves, from time to time.

edgrapes said:
Wow, that was fast, congratulations! Any luck left to share with us? ;)
Thank you so much everyone. Without the help and support from everyone here, I won't be able to go this far.
Many many thanks to all the people that founded and contributed to this forum. This just shows how strong we are, as a community, when we put our minds together.
Unfortunitly, I have to start another journy right away with USCIS, and deal with them more in the future. But this experience has made me stronger, and I have learned a lot from it. Even more, I am more confident about the future, because as long as we keep fighting, at the end, justic will prevail!
DON'T GIVE UP, KEEP FIGHTING, AND GOD BLESS US ALL!

So I have zero hope if I spend lots of time outside the US...

LAmorocco said:
Khalafah,
Can you postpone your travel? Now, that you're suing and will be spending money on a lawyer, you don't want to screw up your Natz man!
Your leaving the US for several months after filing 1447(b) doesn't look good at all, not only vis-a-vis your lawyer but also thr court handleing your case (if they find out). Can your family come visit instead? or can you go for a shorter period of time?
Good luck

My interview was September 2005, and that's when I got to know that I'm stuck with name check. Waited over a year, not knowing this forum and didn't think about doing much, because I always thought that nothing works with US government other than waiting for the fate to decide.
Now I discovered this forum, which gave me hope, but, I'm assigned to work overseas for my California based employer (still on US payroll though). In this case, it will not help to file the 1447(b), right? All I could do is to wait?

Hello Everybody,

I have a question, rather trivial, but I am getting a bit confused here. I am ready to file my lawsuit and am wondering now about what address I should use for every defendant. I have all the usual suspects listed as defendants.
I would be very grateful if someone can provide me with correct, proven to work, addresses for :
ALBERTO R. GONZALES
MICHAEL CHERTOFF
EMILIO GONZALEZ
DAVID STILL
ROBERT S. MUELLER

Those who have allready filed and sent summons, would you be so kind to list addresses that work. Thanks a lot in advance

Example Case

Does any one have a good example petition for naturalization filed under both 8 USC 1447(b) and Write of Mandamus. Also, can any one comment on benefit of filing under both?

Congratulations that is quick.
Best wishes

boston_case said:
I got my oath letter today. What a relief !!

Very happy today. More happy to think that I don't have to deal
with CIS any time soon. I wish goodluck to all the members of this
board and am very thankful to the founders of this thread like
Publicus, Bashar, Mohammadx2 etc.