Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

LAmorocco said:
Publicus,
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I have so much respect for you and all what you did in this forum to help out.
You can't imagine how proud of you I was when I discovered you were moroccan :cool: :cool: :cool: :)

All the honor is mine. Thank you for your nice words. :)

I am from Agadir (born and grew up there) but moved to Meknes where I earned my BAC. I left Morocco for France where I lived for 10 years before movinf to the US in 1992.

What a journey you had!
Before coming to America, I lived all my short life in Casablanca.:eek: I know it was a rich experience. :D

I hope you are doing well and recovered from the nightmare you went through with natz delay.
Yes, I am well recovered from this experience which built my character and persona tremendously. Now it's time to bring the parents over.

Thanks for the advice. I will file 2 suits for my husband an I. If he pisses off the judge with his English, we will hire a lawyer.
Take care

Cool. I know you will prevail, and if you guys have no criminal convictions in your past, your case shouldn't even reach trial.

I called Morocco yesterday. The first day of Ramadan was yesterday (Oops, I didn't know).

Yes it was. Maybe you shouldn't have called them, that way you could just eat during the whole month. :D It's a good excuse. I am just kidding here, walla. :p mbarek la3washer.

Like President Clinton once said on National TV: Ramadan Moubarak Karim. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
edgrapes said:
Publicus, glad to see that you still remember us, welcome back!

I would like to thank you for creating such an informative and comprehensive guide on fighting the USCIS chronical delays. I have been reding this thread from the very begining for the last 3 weeks and I am finaly done. Wow, so much info, so many lives touched, so much to do. What do you think about the immigration bill that Congress tries to approve? Do you think they might succeed in the nearest future?

Best regards.

You are very welcome. I still believe that it was the blessings and prayers of other people that helped solve my case so quickly. And also save my life (as you may have read, I was reactivated for military deployment to Iraq right at the time when I became a Citizen, but now I am once again free).
Please know that I have never stopped thinking about you guys, and I am so glad that everyone is sharing their experience with the community. I have said before that I will be building a website to gather the information scattered in this 5,500+ thread and make it easier to access to all members. I am finally working on this noble project. I know I have to do it because I have promised people I will do it. God knows I was so busy since January 9, 2006.

Hopefully the site will be up and running within a month or so, that way people have a second source of information regarding suing our dear friends at CIS.

On another subject, and to answer your excellent question regarding the immigration bill. The bill looks dead to me at this stage. I haven't heard anyone mentioning it lately. The Senate passed a version so different from that the House passed, and with the Mid-Term elections woes (that may bring a Democratic Majority), this bill is the last law on Congress' mind at this junction. It may have a similar faith to the Social Security Reform Bill.

The more I think about the new proposed bill, the more I hope they will never agree to pass it. This bill will NOT benefit the traditional LEGAL immigrants for one. And two, it will cause a change in the strategy followed to sue CIS and that in itself will require more research and study. But I know it's doable. Remember, they can change the law, but can never end the game. Smart and powerful people always adapt. In America, you learn to believe and practice the slogan of the survival of the fittest.

Publicus

Don't be far PUBLICUS!

Publicus said:
You are very welcome. I still believe that it was the blessings and prayers of other people that helped solve my case so quickly. And also save my life (as you may have read, I was reactivated for military deployment to Iraq right at the time when I became a Citizen, but now I am once again free).
Please know that I have never stopped thinking about you guys, and I am so glad that everyone is sharing their experience with the community. I have said before that I will be building a website to gather the information scattered in this 5,500+ thread and make it easier to access to all members. I am finally working on this noble project. I know I have to do it because I have promised people I will do it. God knows I was so busy since January 9, 2006.

Hopefully the site will be up and running within a month or so, that way people have a second source of information regarding suing our dear friends at CIS.

On another subject, and to answer your excellent question regarding the immigration bill. The bill looks dead to me at this stage. I haven't heard anyone mentioning it lately. The Senate passed a version so different from that the House passed, and with the Mid-Term elections woes (that may bring a Democratic Majority), this bill is the last law on Congress' mind at this junction. It may have a similar faith to the Social Security Reform Bill.

The more I think about the new proposed bill, the more I hope they will never agree to pass it. This bill will NOT benefit the traditional LEGAL immigrants for one. And two, it will cause a change in the strategy followed to sue CIS and that in itself will require more research and study. But I know it's doable. Remember, they can change the law, but can never end the game. Smart and powerful people always adapt. In America, you learn to believe and practice the slogan of the survival of the fittest.

Publicus

Publicus,

Thanks for coming back,
Please don't take long vacations, we need you here man,
Thanks a lot for all your help,.. thousands of people owe you a big THANKS ..

LovingUSA

Sorry, I have bad news Milena....

We filed in S. Texas and the same thing happened to us. Within 1 day we received a judgement with a remand back to USCIS with no time limit, saying this is not this court's jurisdiction and the 120 days have not passed. We filed a motion to amend and that was denied. We have been told that only 1 judge is dealing with this, I can give you his name if you pm me, and he is giving the same ruling on all the cases. There are currently 5 of us considering a joint appeal to the 5th Circuit court, but honestly, I don't think it will work. We seem basically screwed. If there are any S. Texas filers out there with more positive experiences could you share with us so that we can pass it on to the attorneys??

milena said:
Hi I am new and this forum has lots of info.
I just filed my compliant in District court in S. Texas
but instead of charging me $350 for a civil suit they
categorized it as a miscellaneous case which cost only $39
and was told I
did not have to serve a summon to the defendants?
The procedure has changed for naturalization suits.
I will serve the US Attorney but can I skip the rest?
Any one have with same info would be helpful.

thanks

residency

oceanside said:
Hi, aasub, Shaffi and other friends,

I talked to the AUSA again today and hoped she could reconsider her decision. She insisted that, although Plaintiff can file a lawsuit in the district who resides, in my case "technically speaking" I don't reside in San Diego. Since I am a non-resident alien, I cannot use my US address as my residence. She emphasized again that there were previous cases dismissed due to lack of venue. I feel there's a bloody fight in front of me. I guess the next step for me to do is to file a response after I receive her motion. Do you guys think I need to hire a lawyer now? I checked with one, and she asked for $3K plus costs and expenses. Kind of expensive! :mad:

oceanside,

There are 2 things she is wrong.

a) You are a resident of San Diego, just not a permanent resident.

b) Go to PACER and find all the WOM cases, and you can reference them in your reply. Since the court has not dismissed those cases, then it implies everyone ( including you) met the venue requirement.

Good luck.

infopass

pineyan3 said:
Thanks for the advice, Hayyyoot. I will email him tonight. Meanwhile I will pray for all of us who are going through this ordeal.

pineyan3 and hayyyoot,

Have you guys check with USCIS and see if an expedite request has been sent to the FBI? That way you know if AUSA has done something for you, instead of been kept totally in the dark.

Good Luck

class action

lkee said:
We filed in S. Texas and the same thing happened to us. Within 1 day we received a judgement with a remand back to USCIS with no time limit, saying this is not this court's jurisdiction and the 120 days have not passed. We filed a motion to amend and that was denied. We have been told that only 1 judge is dealing with this, I can give you his name if you pm me, and he is giving the same ruling on all the cases. There are currently 5 of us considering a joint appeal to the 5th Circuit court, but honestly, I don't think it will work. We seem basically screwed. If there are any S. Texas filers out there with more positive experiences could you share with us so that we can pass it on to the attorneys??

Is it possible for you guys find out all the pepole that interested in filing on the appeal court and then contact AILF and/or ACLU, and see if they are interesed in doing a class action for you guys?

If come to the worst, maybe you guys can find a good lawyer and share the cost.

Good luck!

Pineyan3....
I am in New York as well...deadline for the AUSA to respond is Oct 1st so far heard nothing from him. I have left VM for him. I am assuming all the SDNY cases are handled by the same AUSA assistant. Looking in PACER he seems to pull the last minute motion to dismiss based on the Danilov argument. Have your counter-statement prepared and be ready to file as soon as he does. I am doing the same.

IM me with your case number for pacer...

Your AUSA is flat wrong on this one

Oceanside,

Your AUSA is calling your bluff. After she files her motion, study it carefully, share it here and then you can decide if you need a lawyer or not. Maybe that will make her change her mind. Ironically, here is an actual question from the naturalization interview list:

Q. Whose rights are guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights?
a. Everyone ( citizens and non-citizens living in the U.S. )
b. Registered voters
c. The President
d. Natural born citizens

Guess what the right answer is? Bottom line, her line of argument is pure and simple hogwash. Your rights are covered by the US constitution on US soil regardless of being a citizen or not. I wonder how she would respond to this?

oceanside said:
Hi, aasub, Shaffi and other friends,

I talked to the AUSA again today and hoped she could reconsider her decision. She insisted that, although Plaintiff can file a lawsuit in the district who resides, in my case "technically speaking" I don't reside in San Diego. Since I am a non-resident alien, I cannot use my US address as my residence. She emphasized again that there were previous cases dismissed due to lack of venue. I feel there's a bloody fight in front of me. I guess the next step for me to do is to file a response after I receive her motion. Do you guys think I need to hire a lawyer now? I checked with one, and she asked for $3K plus costs and expenses. Kind of expensive! :mad:

nasty situation

The AUSA is playing the game. She told me that she's not going to file the motion to dismiss the case anytime soon since she has 60 days. I guess she will wait until the last minute. I am really concerned. She has time while I don't. :mad:

I am seriously considering refile the case in Nebraska. Anyone could recommend a good lawyer who can file a WOM for me in the Nebraska district? Thanks a lot.

defense motion for S. tx

lkee said:

Enclosed is winning case to fight off a dismissal in N.Y. I may use it to fight in TX. Tell me do you have an attorney able to review this.

just for record. this was a case filed in Boston, MA.
milena said:
Enclosed is winning case to fight off a dismissal in N.Y. I may use it to fight in TX. Tell me do you have an attorney able to review this.

Thanks, yes Mass case and it beat this weak argument

DEFENDANTS’ MOTION TO DISMISS AND REMAND AND SUPPORTING
MEMORANDUM

The Defendants move the Court to dismiss the instant action pursuant to Rule 12(b)(6) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and remand it to the Houston District Office of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Department of Homeland Security.1 The sole issue
before the Court is whether plaintiff’s application for naturalization can be approved by this Court prior to completion of the required FBI national security background check.

I. Summary of Facts and Issue
There is no dispute as to the procedural posture of this case. On June 29, 2005, the FBI received the USCIS request to perform a national security background check, commonly known as the “FBI name check,” on the Plaintiff as a result of his application for naturalization. USCIS interviewed Plaintiff
on January 3, 2006. Plaintiff has passed the requisite tests of English, U.S. history and government. Plaintiff has provided the requisite fingerprints for FBI processing. However, USCIS has not been able to make a decision on Plaintiff’s application because USCIS has not received the results of the
FBI national security background check. See Declaration of Sharon A. Hudson, District Director, Houston, Texas office of USCIS, attached as Exhibit 1; see also Declaration of Michael A. Cannon, Section Chief, National Name Check Program Section, FBI, attached as Exhibit 2.

Plaintiff asks this Court to render a declaratory judgment that he is a naturalized citizen of the United States pursuant to 8 U.S.C. §1447(b), since more than 120 days have elapsed since Defendant USCIS initially interviewed him. Plaintiff further claims that this Court may additionally
administer the oath and swear him in as a United States citizen without completion of the national security background checks.

Defendants submit that, even if the Court has subject matter jurisdiction under 8 U.S.C. §1447 (b) (an unsettled issue of law, see note 3), the complaint fails to state a claim upon which relief may be granted, as the Court is not able to conduct the requisite national security background
investigation. Defendants ask the Court to remand the case so that the FBI background check may be completed.

II. Argument
A. The naturalization process
In order to become a U.S. citizen, an applicant must meet the statutory requirement of 3 8 U.S.C. §1427(a), including, inter alia, sufficient periods of residency and physical presence, and a record of “good moral character.” Congress has directed the Attorney General to make the
necessary rules and regulations to determine if the applicant meets the requirements. 8 U.S.C. §1443(a). The Attorney General and his designee must perform a thorough background investigation of each applicant for naturalization in order to confirm that the applicant is eligible for
naturalization. 8 U.S.C. §1446(a) & (b).

The naturalization process has five stages. The process is initiated when an applicant submits a naturalization application. The filing of the application generates an appointment to attend a fingerprint center for electronic submission of biometrics; provide supporting information pertaining
to the applicant’s good moral character; and provide a complete account of any criminal background. 8 U.S.C. §1445(a); 8 C.F.R. §§ 334.2 & 316.4.
Second, the USCIS conducts a background investigation of the applicant, including but not limited to review of all pertinent USCIS and police records. 8 U.S.C. §1446(a). 8 C.F.R. §§335.1 and 335.2 clarify that the personal investigation includes a review of all pertinent records such as police department checks and completion of an FBI fingerprint clearance prior to initial examination. Additionally, Congress added the FBI full criminal background check in 1997. Public Law 105-119, Title I, Nov. 26, 1997, 111 Stat. 2448, provides in part that: During fiscal year 1998 and each fiscal year thereafter, none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available to the Immigration and Naturalization Service shall be used to complete adjudication of an application for naturalization unless the Immigration and Naturalization
Service has received confirmation from the Federal Bureau of Investigation
that a full criminal background check has been completed, except for those
exempted by regulation as of January 1, 1997. (Emphasis added.)
After enactment of this Public Law, the legacy Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) (predecessor to USCIS and other federal agencies now under the Department of Homeland Security) published changes to the criminal background check procedures to comply with the new law.
Initially, the USCIS had interpreted 335.2 (b) to require only that the USCIS receive the results of the 2 FBI fingerprint check prior to interviewing naturalization applicants. Recently, however, the USCIS has instructed its
employees to cease scheduling naturalization interviews until all background checks have been completed.
3 The name check process is described in Ex. 1.2-1, “National Name Check Program Frequently Asked Questions” and in Ex. 2, the Declaration of Michael Cannon.
4 Specifically, INS amended 8 C.F.R. §335.2 to require completion of criminal background checks prior to examination.2 The FBI name check has historically always been a requirement for both naturalization and
adjustment to lawful permanent resident status, and was historically generated from the Form G-325 biographical data document (naturalization applications) or the Form G-325A biographical data document (adjustment of status applications). See Hudson Declaration and attachments.3 Although
the required FBI name check historically posed no significant delays or barriers, in part because of pre 9/11 policy to proceed if no derogatory information was received within a certain period of time, this is no longer true in our post 9/11 world. Created by the Homeland Security Act of 2003, Pub.L.
No. 107-296, 116 Stat. 2135 (Nov. 25, 2002), the USCIS is the agency charged by Congress with responsibility for determining whether to grant or deny applications for benefits under the immigration laws, including applications for naturalization.
Completion of background security checks can be a lengthy process, but they are an integral and crucial prerequisite to citizenship. As the court noted in Alkenani v. Barrows, 356 F.Supp.2d 652, 657 (N.D. Tex. 2005), “delays of this nature are inevitable and becoming more frequent in light of heightened security concerns in the post 9/11 world.” Completion and resolution of the FBI name
check process in a naturalization applicant’s favor is a necessary prerequisite to citizenship. See, e.g., Alkenani, supra; Danilov v. Aguirre, 370 F.Supp.2d 441 (E.D.Va. 2005); El-Daour v. Chertoff, 417 F. Supp.2d 679 (W.D.Pa. 2005); Essa v. USCIS, 2005 WL 3440827 (D. Minn. Dec. 14, 2005);
Daami v. Gonzales, 2006 WL 1457862 (D.N.J. May 22, 2006) (unpublished); Khelifa v. Chertoff, ___ F.Supp.2d ___, 2006 WL 1593972 (E.D. Mich. June 9, 2006).

In the third stage, the applicant is interviewed by an examiner who is authorized to grant or 5 deny the application. 8 U.S.C. §1446(b) & (d); 8 C.F.R.§ 335.3. In the fourth stage, the application is decided. If the application is denied, the applicant may request an administrative hearing before a senior immigration examiner. 8 U.S.C. §1447(a); 8 C.F.R. § 336.2. If the examiner upholds the denial, the applicant may seek a de novo review in
federal district court. 8 U.S.C. § 1421©; 8 C.F.R. § 336.9(b) & (c). If, however, USCIS fails to make an initial decision on the naturalization application within 120 days after the initial naturalization interview, an applicant may seek a hearing on his or her naturalization application in
the United States district court in which the applicant resides. 8 USC § 1447(b). The district court may either determine the matter or remand the matter, with instructions, to the USCIS to determine the matter.
In the fifth and final stage, an applicant whose naturalization application has been granted must take the oath of allegiance and be admitted to citizenship. 8 USC § 1447(a). No decision on an application for naturalization is final or completed and no applicant is naturalized unless and until
the applicant takes the official oath of allegiance under section 1447(a). Sebastian-Soler v. U.S. Atty. Gen., 409 F.3d 1280, 1284 (11 Cir. 2005); U.S. v. Macintosh, 283 U.S. 605 (1931); th ; Girouard v. U.S., 328 U.S. 61 (1946).
B. The Court should remand the case because the national security background check has not been completed. 8 U.S.C. §1447(b) provides as follows:
If there is a failure to make a determination under section 1446 of this
title before the end of the 120-day period after the date on which the
examination is conducted under such section, the applicant may apply to the
United States district court for the district in which the applicant resides for
a hearing on the matter. Such court has jurisdiction over the matter and may
either determine the matter or remand the matter, with appropriate
instructions, to the Service to determine the matter.
The USCIS is not able to complete its adjudication of Plaintiff’s naturalization petition
In Danilov v. Aguirre, 370 F.Supp.2d 441 (E.D. Va. 2005) the court found it did not have subject 4 matter
jurisdiction. The Danilov court viewed the 120 day period as beginning at the time the FBI background check, and
“all other aspects of the examination process” are completed. Id. at 444. As noted in Khelifa, other courts to have
considered the issue have not followed the reasoning in Danilov because it does not square with the language of
§1447(b), which provides the 120 day period begins on “the date on which the examination is conducted.” Khelifa
at *3.
because it has not received the results of the FBI name check. Because the name check is critical
to making a determination, Defendants submit that, assuming the Court has subject matter
jurisdiction pursuant to 8 U.S.C. §1447(b), the Court should remand the case to the USCIS for the
reasons set out in El-Daour:4
...while I am confident that I have subject matter jurisdiction over El-
Daour’s application, I must remand the action to the CIS. Section 1447(b)
permits a court to “remand the matter, with appropriate instructions, to the
Service to determine the matter.” Certainly, I sympathize with El-Daour’s
plight. He is understandably anxious to complete the naturalization process
so he can fully enjoy the benefits of United States citizenship. Yet the very
reason that the CIS did not process El-Daour’s application within 120 days
of his examination prevents me from deciding his application. The FBI has
not completed the criminal background check. This is a vital piece of
information. A court is not equipped to conduct such an investigation. I do
not have the resources at my disposal to determine whether El-Daour presents
a risk to national security or to public safety.
417 F. Supp. 2d at 683 (internal citations omitted). See also Essa, 2005 WL 3440827 at *2 (“the
court finds itself unable to adjudicate either application for the very reason CIS has been precluded
from making a final decision – the FBI background check has not been completed”); Daami, 2006
WL 1457862 at *5 (“f CIS does not make a decision within 120 days, and the applicant applies
to the district court for relief, the court is in the same position as CIS – unable to make a decision
on a naturalization application until all the facts are in, including the background check from the
FBI”); Sweilem v. USCIS, 2005 WL 1123582 (N.D. Ohio May 10, 2005)(unpublished) (court
assumed subject matter jurisdiction under 1447(b) but remanded to USCIS to await the final FBI
security clearance).
A remand is consistent with the general rule that a court should remand a case to an agency
for decision of a matter that statutes place primarily in agency hands. As set forth in Immigration
and Naturalization Service v. Ventura, 537 U.S. 12, 16 (2002):
The agency can bring its expertise to bear upon the matter; it can evaluate the
evidence; it can make an initial determination; and, in doing so, it can,
through informal discussion and analysis, help a court later determine
whether its decision exceeds the leeway that the law allows.
Ventura at 17. This preference for remand has “obvious importance in the immigration context.”
Id. at 16-17.
C. A naturalization applicant must strictly comply with all requirements for United
States citizenship, including national security background checks.
In the United States of America, “[n]o alien has the slightest right to naturalization unless all
statutory requirements are complied with.” United States v. Ginsberg, 243 U.S. 472, 475 (1917).
“Failure to comply with any [congressionally imposed] conditions renders the certificate of
citizenship illegally procured, and naturalization that is unlawfully procured can be set aside.”
Fedorenko v. United States, 449 U.S. 490, 506 (1981). The statutory naturalization requirements
are strictly construed and enforced. Id., 449 U.S. at 506.
In particular, an applicant for United States citizenship must establish and maintain “good
moral character, demonstrate attachment to the principles of the Constitution of the United States,
and be well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States.” 8 USC § 1427(a).
Unless and until an applicant for citizenship in the United States completes all criminal and national
security background checks as mandated by Congress, that mandatory demonstration of character,
attachment, and favorable disposition to the good order and happiness of the United States cannot
be shown.
III. Conclusion
District courts do not have the resources to conduct or resolve the mandatory criminal and
national security background checks necessary to determine whether an individual should be granted
citizenship. Indeed, even the USCIS lacks all the necessary resources, which is why the agency must
partially refer the national security background check to the FBI. Thus, the Defendants move the
Court to dismiss and remand the case to the USCIS to await the result of the FBI name check and
then complete the processing of the Plaintiff’s application accordingly.
Dated: July 7, 2006
Respectfully submitted,
DONALD J. DeGABRIELLE, JR.
United States Attorney

guys, help with exhibits

guys, if I want to add some exhibits to my complaint which has already
been filed, how should I proceed?? is there any template to follow?
please advise!

You can file an "ammended complaint" which will then supercede any previous filings. But you'd have to re-send to all defendants and also your dates are altered (the 60 day AUSA has to respond). It is OK to do so if you have a materially significant reason, such as adding/deleting facts or claims or prayers in your previous complaint.

If nothing significant is changing in your actual complaint, but you just want to add an exhibit or other supporting document, it may be better to just wait for the case to get to the discovery stage and then you introduce your exhibits at that point. Hopefully you never get to the discovery stage anyways.

rob waiter said:
guys, if I want to add some exhibits to my complaint which has already
been filed, how should I proceed?? is there any template to follow?
please advise!

hi, assub. thanks much!
I think I better hold on. I was thinking of attaching some routineforms
(eg. N652).

BTW, I did not put my alien number in the complainit. Would
it matter? I guess I am running a bit into the so-called 'anxiety syndrome".

aasub said:
You can file an "ammended complaint" which will then supercede any previous filings. But you'd have to re-send to all defendants and also your dates are altered (the 60 day AUSA has to respond). It is OK to do so if you have a materially significant reason, such as adding/deleting facts or claims or prayers in your previous complaint.

If nothing significant is changing in your actual complaint, but you just want to add an exhibit or other supporting document, it may be better to just wait for the case to get to the discovery stage and then you introduce your exhibits at that point. Hopefully you never get to the discovery stage anyways.

What Should I do?

Well, I am US citizen as of 09/15/2006 after filling 1447(b) lawsuit. I did filled I-129F (K3 spouse) and also recieved receipt number with no priority date and unable to locate receipt number on uscis.gov website?

This is normal? usually how long its take to process I-129F for spouse (K3)? Any good ideas and suggestions? Looking forward to hear back from all of you.

Thanks

ApplyInDenver said:
pineyan3 and hayyyoot,

Have you guys check with USCIS and see if an expedite request has been sent to the FBI? That way you know if AUSA has done something for you, instead of been kept totally in the dark.

Good Luck
I found online there was an update on my case last weekend, but I am not sure what is going on. I will call USCIS tomorrow to see if I can fish out anything. Thank you very much for the advice, ApplyInDenver.

Contacting the AUSA

Well, this is just an update, my AUSA officially doesn't want to talk to me, I called today and requested to talk to his secretary, I told her that he hasn't been returning my calls or answering my emails, she went and talked to him, after about 8-10 minutes on hold, she came back and said that he is a busy man, he will try to call me sometime, but, doesn't promise, I check pacer daily, no news, anybody has a suggestion?
pineyan3 said:
I found online there was an update on my case last weekend, but I am not sure what is going on. I will call USCIS tomorrow to see if I can fish out anything. Thank you very much for the advice, ApplyInDenver.

pineyan3 said:

Have you applied in SDNY?