Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1490848&postcount=4732
xvistik said:
Need help!Hey guys,
This morning i've got a call from AUSA that my name check was cleared (3,5
weeks after i filed my 1447. She told that now we both have to sign a motion to remand a case back to USCIS, so they can proceed with it in 45 days period. She was asking for 60 days at the beginning, but i did not agree. what do you think, guys? Is it safe to do? Did someone had that kind of experience? Any opiniopn is appriciated.

You are safe,
after you sue USCIS they lose jurisdiction and you have to ask for a dismissal without prejudice.i had to do the same in my case, as long as the wording doesn't go against you.
ask your AUSA to draft a proposed motion, and if you agree with it the ausa should file it for you electronically like they usually do. if you don't agree with it just make the changes you want.

find an example that we used in my case, at the end of thispost

that's the usual procedure, in my case they faxed me an approval letter too.
good luck

Congrats

wistar said:
I just had my oath ceremony in Baltimore. It took only about 1 and half hours.

I posted a question a few days ago asked that I got a speeding ticket after interview, how they would do about it. It seems that nobody had an answer. To help any one in the future, here is my experience.

As far as you say you will pay the ticket while not going through the court, they will let you proceed in the ceremony. If you say you want to go to court, they will suspend your ceremony since if you fail to appear in the court, the judge will issue an arrest order for you. (Whatever, this is what the supervisor told me.)

Thank you all for the encouragement and good luck to every one of you.

Thank you for the info, Congratulations!

Last edited by a moderator:
ivelin said:
This Forum is very helpful the Filing procedures in Filing a Writ of Mandamus, but I am wondering if there are any examples of a Writ itself. I realize everyone's case is different, but is there a "Boiler Plate" version to help as a foundation? I am not an attorney but I am helping a friend who is an asylee and is needing to do this to help his case. My email is David.Roberts@metrokc.gov
Writing from Seattle, Washington :confused:

i was a 1447 b case so i don't have many of the WOM files, your best bet is to register with pacer here. and then access washington US district court own pacer here
then you do a search by party in the lawsuit, ie Chertoff. or gonzales. Also check the ailf.org site and do a search for mandamus. i found this page there Also this "How To Guide"
I think the begining of this thread has some samples, i'll keep my eyes open for you
good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all!

Thanks to all the info I got from this forum I have finally filed a 1447b lawsuit. Good luck to everyone!

Please Help!

Dear All,

Some real bad news for me.

My time line -

N400 - Dec'2004
Interview - March'2005 ( Name check pending)
Case Filed - 08/22/06 ( in Houston)

Within 2 days the judge ruled lack of jurisdiction!!!!!!!!

This is total bs. I was so hopeful reading all the success stories on this site.

Has anyone had the same experience.

This is so totally depressing.

I would really appreciate any words of comfort or hope.

Thank You

Sakun,

I am very sorry to hear your story. This is totally unacceptable. Although I don't have any ideas on how to proceed, I want to give you my support. Don't give up.

Hope

Guys,

I filed WOM at the end of July and served US Attorney on August 12. The court only gives 20 days so that means September 2nd is the deadline. Should I call the USAO? I searched similar cases in my district and found that some 2005 cases are still pending and most of the cases remain unresolved. How do you think?

Hope

Happiest day of my life!!

FINALLY, Got the magic emails :D -
On August 28, 2006, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready.

I really am thankful to the information in this thread.
Publicus you are like a God to me. Thanks for the step by step on this thread. Its a Lifesaver.

North California Rules!!! I haven't even spoken to AUSA yet.

Anyone who is waiting for 485 or N400 for a long time, don't think twice, file a lawsuit. Just follow the step by step on the first page. It seems intimidating at first, but once you get into it, its easy.

Good luck to everyone.

US Attorney request joint motion

I received a call and then an email from the US Attorney to file a joint motion wherein she has mentioned that USCIS can not adjudicate the case currently due to lack of visa availability for my category. She has requested for a 60day extension. She has mentioned that while it is not confirmed that the visa's will be available Oct'01, there is high propability. USCIS will adjudicate the case as soon as the visa will be available. If visa is not available for fany other reason USCIS can not adjudicate the case, either party can file before
Oct'31. I need to sign this by tmrw as my 60days expire next week.
AND I will dismiss the case once the case is Approved.

Ques : Is it OK to sign the joint motion.Does any one see any issue. Any changes I should ask US Attorney to make. Please let me know. I have to sign it by tmrw.

Thanks..

ACTUAL : Joint Motion :

Defendants have informed Plaintiff that the United States Citizenship and
Immigration Services (“USCIS”) cannot adjudicate his I-485 application until the United States
Department of State (“State Department”) has made an immigrant visa number available. See 8
C.F.R. § 245.2(a)(5)(ii). Presently, there are no immigrant visa numbers available to applicants
within Plaintiff’s visa category (employment-based, second preference from India). See State
Department Visa Bulletin, http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3009.html (September
2006).
4. Although Defendants cannot guarantee that an immigrant visa number will become
available to Plaintiff within any specified period of time, the State Department has informed
Defendants that it is likely that a visa number will become available for applicants with
Plaintiff’s priority date on October 1, 2006.
5. Once the State Department has a visa number available for Plaintiff, USCIS will
adjudicate his I-485 application without undue delay. Before USCIS can adjudicate his
application, however, Plaintiff and his wife (a derivative beneficiary) will be required to resubmit
to a fingerprint check, as their fingerprints currently on file have expired.
6. Once USCIS has adjudicated Plaintiff’s I-485 application, Plaintiff will promptly
dismiss his lawsuit voluntarily.
7. Accordingly, because the lawsuit may be resolved without the need for further
judicial intervention, the parties agree, subject to the Court’s order, to stay proceedings until
October 31, 2006. Should a visa number not become available to Plaintiff on October 1, 2006, or
should USCIS become unable to adjudicate Plaintiff’s application by October 31, 2006 for any
other reason, the parties will submit a report to the Court on or before October 31, 2006.
A proposed order is attached for the convenience of the Court.

Can I add my wife into the Plaintiffs

My I-485 was just approved 40 days after lawsuit, but not my wife.
I think this is because I didn't put my wife's name in the Plaintiffs.

My question is: How can I add my wife into the Paintiffs now. Do I need to pay extra money for this?

Thank you!

Filing WOM Friday

Am filing WOM on Friday. Lawyer recommended that I ask for response in 20 days after receipt by defendents.

Who will I need to followup with after proof of receipt by defendents?

Thanks for your reply

Emilio's address

Can anyone who has served Emilio Gonzales and got a receipt, post Emilio's mailing address here? I served him certified with receipt requested, but did not get a receipt. I mailed to

USCIS
425 Eye Street, NW ( I realized "Eye" should be "I")
Washington DC 20536

certificate of service

From what I learned here it is a good idea to send the complaint, Cover sheet, filding fee as a "Certificate of Service" to the Court I am going to file the suit, or it is the service I should do when I serve the Summons to the Defendants after I get the case number? Please advise me, I am at the last step of the paper work now.

yfehgh said:
Can anyone who has served Emilio Gonzales and got a receipt, post Emilio's mailing address here? I served him certified with receipt requested, but did not get a receipt. I mailed to

USCIS
425 Eye Street, NW ( I realized "Eye" should be "I")
Washington DC 20536

I haven't served him yet but had the same question. Here is the reply I got
yesterday.

Emilio T. Gonzalez, Director of USCIS
Office of the Chief Counsel
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
20 Massachusetts Ave, NW, Rm 4025
Washington, DC 20529

AOS approved 3 weeks after Writ of Mandamus

I got the long-awaited I485 approval emails today. I filed Writ of Mandamus by myself about three weeks ago. USCIS sent out second fingerprint notice on August 11 and I took the fingerprint last Friday. My case has been pending since April, 2005. I filed my case in Northern California District.

Thanks everyone for the help. This is an amazing forum!!!

For people who are still waiting, be angry, be very angry and you will fight.

sakun said:
Dear All,

My time line -

N400 - Dec'2004

This is total bs. I was so hopeful reading all the success stories on this site.

Thank You

Sakun,

Sorry to hear your story. Where did you file?
Can you afford a lawyer? you should try to consult with a lawyer to fight the this..many courts ruled for applicants.

details?

sakun said:
Dear All,

My time line -

N400 - Dec'2004

Thank You
Sorry to hear that.

Why it is "lack of jurisdiction", any mistake that you can correct?

If everything is right, maybe time to prepare for an Appeal, show how incompitant the judge is to the appeal court!

I did go through a lawyer and filed in Houston.

I talked to a number of lawyers before deciding on this one.

My understanding is 'lack of jurisdiction' means the judge is saying he cannot force the USIC to make a decision and they can take as long as they want to.

I might be wrong. If anyone has a better understanding please post your thoughts.

Thanks.

sakun:

Sorry to hear that. Do you know if your attorney had experience with this type of petition? If he/she does, he/she should know the court has the jurisdiction.

Please read the following link:

http://www.uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dl...20/slb-9931?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm

If you read section B, you should notice that it clearly stated that the court has jurisdiction over USCIS.

Good luck,

Jack

sakun said:
I did go through a lawyer and filed in Houston.

I talked to a number of lawyers before deciding on this one.

My understanding is 'lack of jurisdiction' means the judge is saying he cannot force the USIC to make a decision and they can take as long as they want to.

I might be wrong. If anyone has a better understanding please post your thoughts.

Thanks.