Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

(1) I can put all defenants in the small box. Only put their name and title. Try to put the following:

Gonzales, Alberto, R., U.S. Attorney General; Chertoff, Michael, Secretary of DHS; Gonzalez, Emilio, T., Director of USCIS; Still, David, N., San Francisco District Director of USCIS; Mueller, Robert, S., III, Director of FBI

(2) 2 US Government Defendant.

ApplyInDenver said:
Congrats, it's always good news and keeps our hope high! :D
Have couple of questions for the cover sheet if you can recall,

Under I (a) DEFENDANTS, what did you put there? Not enough room to list all the defendents.
II BASIS OF JURISDICTION (III) what did you pick?

Thanks.

ctitzenship of parties

syt said:
(1) I can put all defenants in the small box. Only put their name and title. Try to put the following:

Gonzales, Alberto, R., U.S. Attorney General; Chertoff, Michael, Secretary of DHS; Gonzalez, Emilio, T., Director of USCIS; Still, David, N., San Francisco District Director of USCIS; Mueller, Robert, S., III, Director of FBI

(2) 2 US Government Defendant.

Hi Syt,
Sorry, put the wrong one in the question. :rolleyes:

I meant what to put in III Citizenship of Principal parties? and
while you are here, did you also check 4. Diversity under II BASIS OF JURISDICTION?

Thanks.

ApplyInDenver said:
Hi Syt,
Sorry, put the wrong one in the question. :rolleyes:

I meant what to put in III Citizenship of Principal parties?

Leave it blank.

and while you are here, did you also check 4. Diversity under II BASIS OF JURISDICTION?

No. You only need to check "2"

Thanks.

Conference of Counsel set for 8/23/2006 10:00 AM

With the presiding Chief Judge :D in his chambers...

My attorney filed the 1447b petition on 8/4/06 and I am curious why the conference meeting would be so soon! Just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience. It's definitely a good sign, let alone the fact that the Chief Judge is presiding! I am supposed to be there and can't wait to find out...

Filed in 9/05, processed 1/06 :mad:
FP: 2/8/06
Interviewed 3/14/06, bc pending!

Guys, there are only 2 weeks left before my 60-days deadline. My attorney only called the AUSA once - and the AUSA didn't say much except that he is going to check in with us closer to the deadline. As of today he hasn't contacted us yet :mad:
Judging from this AUSA track record in PACER I'm expecting an extension but really don't see a point in one since he's obviously not doing anything. I haven't even received a FP notice.
What can I do now? Any advice? Can I prevent the first extension? Would it be wise to do so?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you syt.

The cover sheet from the court web only takes one line. I guess I will have to print it out and fill all the defendants by hand.

thanks, ApplyInDenver

ApplyInDenver said:
Congrats, it's always good news and keeps our hope high! :D
Have couple of questions for the cover sheet if you can recall,

Under I (a) DEFENDANTS, what did you put there? Not enough room to list all the defendents.
II BASIS OF JURISDICTION (III) what did you pick?

Thanks.

Hi APplyInDenver, thanks!

As for your questions:

1. Here in LA the suggestion by the clerk and those who were filing before me (Mr.LA!!) was to put the first defendant like this

Alberto Gonzales et al. (see attachment)

And then staple a copy of the front page of the complaint where all defendats are listed. This may be specific for our district court rule but seems to make sense.

2. Basis of Jurisdiction: US Government Defendant.
no diveristy or anything. then item III - just skip the whole thing.

good luck

End in sight!

I filed my 1447(b) on 7/11/06 - 122nd day after interview. Received oath letter for ceremony 8/29.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the next week. I already have one speeding ticket since the interview.

drgeorge

Congratulations :)

drgeorge said:
I filed my 1447(b) on 7/11/06 - 122nd day after interview. Received oath letter for ceremony 8/29.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the next week. I already have one speeding ticket since the interview.

drgeorge

No. I don't have my conference meeting yet. my conference meeting is set in December 2006. Do we expect to go that far? Could you please share with us your experience in your conference meeting the day after tomorrow. Thanks Dubu

Dubu said:
Yo syt, we outta compare notes; you were interviewed a month after I was...

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I don't have my conference meeting yet. my conference meeting is set in December 2006. Do we expect to go that far? Could you please share with us your experience in your conference meeting the day after tomorrow. Thanks Dubu

Dubu said:
Yo syt, we outta compare notes; you were interviewed a month after I was...

Congrats

drgeorge said:
Congratulations :p

keep us updated, so unfair :rolleyes:
drgeorge

US Attorney said they are not served properly? What is next?

Hi, all

I wanted to briefly describe my case and ask for your perspectives.

I filed a Pro Se case against USCIS and FBI about 2 months ago on the excessive delay of processing my I-485 application which was filed in Sept, 2003. A couple of weeks ago, after 60 days passed without an answer, I filed the motion for default judgment in court. Today, I got in touched with US attorney's office in that region (Eastern Texas). They told me that they were not served properly because I didn't include them in the filing and in order for them to respond, they (US attoreny) must be represented in the Defendents list and served accordingly when the case was filed. Therefore, they suggested me to start the process over and make sure they are served this time.

I used a copy of previous Complaint and never knew that I must include US Attorney as defendent and serve.

Does anyone has any experience or knowledge on my case? should I wait for the court ruling on default motion?

Thank you for sharing

Daniel

DWQY said:
Hi, all

I filed a Pro Se case against USCIS and FBI about 2 months ago on the excessive delay of processing my I-485 application which was filed in Sept, 2003. A couple of weeks ago, after 60 days passed without an answer, I filed the motion for default judgment in court. Today, I got in touched with US attorney's office in that region (Eastern Texas). They told me that they were not served properly because I didn't include them in the filing and in order for them to respond, they (US attoreny) must be represented in the Defendents list and served accordingly when the case was filed. Therefore, they suggested me to start the process over and make sure they are served this time.

I used a copy of previous Complaint and never knew that I must include US Attorney as defendent and serve.

Does anyone has any experience or knowledge on my case? should I wait for the court ruling on default motion?

Thank you for sharing

Daniel

You may or may not have to start over. Read Pro Se book and Local Rules. There is time requirement for serving the defendants, I think it is 120 days but you will have to check for sure. When you serve them, you have to serve US Attorney as their lawyer whether he is on the defendant's list or not. Right now, you have not started the clock yet since you did not serve defendants' attorney. If you are within the allowed time window, it may be a good idea to serve them ASAP.

that's BS

DWQY said:
Hi, all

Thank you for sharing

Daniel

Get a copy of the local rule and see if it specifically says you have to list USA on the defendent list. They are just the lawyer not the defendent.
Call the clerk and ask if this is true. I doublt.
This is Federal law RULE 4 says, it only requires a copy to be sent to them. Make sure you have the original receipt.

(i) Service Upon the United States, and its Agencies, Corporations, or Officers.

(1) Service upon the United States shall be effected
(A) by delivering a copy of the summons and of the complaint to the United States attorney for the district in which the action is brought or to an assistant United States attorney or clerical employee designated by the United States attorney in a writing filed with the clerk of the court or by sending a copy of the summons and of the complaint by registered or certified mail addressed to the civil process clerk at the office of the United States attorney and

(B) by also sending a copy of the summons and of the complaint by registered or certified mail to the Attorney General of the United States at Washington, District of Columbia, and

(C) in any action attacking the validity of an order of an officer or agency of the United States not made a party, by also sending a copy of the summons and of the complaint by registered or certified mail to the officer or agency.

(2) Service upon an officer, agency, or corporation of the United States shall be effected by serving the United States in the manner prescribed by paragraph (1) of this subdivision and by also sending a copy of the summons and of the complaint by registered or certified mail to the officer, agency, or corporation.

(3) The court shall allow a reasonable time for service of process under this subdivision for the purpose of curing the failure to serve multiple officers, agencies, or corporations of the United States if the plaintiff has effected service on either the United States attorney or the Attorney General of the United States.

writ of mandamus info

Hello fellows good luck to all for there effort in resolving there issues.
My N-400 is pending from 06/24/05 I only got called for fingerprinting no interview call upon inquiry stinking pending name check.

I am exploring my options for writ of mandamus what are the requirements for this kind of law suit as I am N-400 applicant not I-485.

How long should I wait before filing as it is already more then year.
My case is not as strong as others because I am not called for interview yet.

Thanks

N-400

Hi there, I'm new here. It's been over 120 days since my interview of N-400 case. I'm thinking about filing a lawsuit. I browsed this forum and got lots of useful information.

Just one quick questions, do you guys pay for the filing fee ( $350 ) when you file the case with the federal district court?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I paid $350 for the filing fee in California North District.

RWDW said:
Hi there, I'm new here. It's been over 120 days since my interview of N-400 case. I'm thinking about filing a lawsuit. I browsed this forum and got lots of useful information.

Just one quick questions, do you guys pay for the filing fee ( $350 ) when you file the case with the federal district court?

Thanks in advance!

RWDW said:

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
There was no fee in the Central District of California (LA). I do know of any other such district where you do not have to pay though...