Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

When did you file your lawsuit?

moody22 said:
Alright guys, I really need everybody helps now:

What do you guys think about this Crap. :mad:

Have you tried to communicate with the US Att. who is handling your case? Try to make him/her contact USCIS's lawyer and make sure they will have only 60 days to clean up their mess and finish whatever checks they need.

I was always more frustrated following InfoPass or any visits to the USCIS offices in the past, except the last time they told me an Oath letter was on the way (of course a direct result of my 1447(b)).

Good luck.

Wom

moody22 said:
Thanks, dks35

No, they cancelled both of my interviews, i also forget to mention that i handed her a copy of all the letters i get fromThe whit house, FBI, FOIPA,all the previous inquires which says my background secuirty check is still pending.

Sorry, I did not read your previous posts. I agree with cajack that you should file WOM. Going to Infopass would not help you, in my opinion.

Good luck to you.

Eastbayer said:
Sorry, I did not read your previous posts. I agree with cajack that you should file WOM. Going to Infopass would not help you, in my opinion.

Good luck to you.

I just contacted the Attorney now, he asked for $7,000, i will make an appointment with him to see if we can negotiate.

Evrybody is taking advantage on our miserable situation, that caused by theses assholes.

Regards,

Moody

You can file WOM by yourself (pro se)

moody22 said:
I just contacted the Attorney now, he asked for $7,000, i will make an appointment with him to see if we can negotiate.

Evrybody is taking advantage on our miserable situation, that caused by theses assholes.

Regards,

Moody

Like many of the members here, you can file WOM by yourself w/o a lawyer. Somebody just posted templates earlier. All you need is to pay the $350 filing fee.

Just for clarification. The US Attorney I mentioned in a previous post will represent the goverment defendants (FBI, USCIS, DHS etc.), not you. But you can contact him/her to monitor the progress once you file a WOM petition.

Looking for an expert’s advice

Hello all, :)

I am looking for an expert’s advice, I have filed my lawsuit on May 22, 2006, the 60 days have ended on July 21, 2006, and before the 60 days ended the U.S Attorney asked me for extension, so I gave him 30 days. Last Thursday, I did called him “U.S Attorney” for an updates, he told me that he is going for vacation for 2 weeks and when he comes back like in mid Aug he may file for answer or he may ask for another 30 or 60 days.

What should I do? :rolleyes:

I truly appreciate your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
PendingN400 said:
Guys: Here is a recently published opinion, where a judge has denied WOM petition due to delayed name check. It appears that he thinks that 18 month is not sufficient delay! A defeat along the lines of Danilov case....
http://www.bibdaily.com/pdfs/kowtow2.pdf

This is a strange case, it was filed on 7/10 and denied on 7/21 without even a AUSA assigned to it ! The judge decided to review the case and make a decision right away without the goverment even responding to the complaint. i am not sure why he did not file 1447 b. but I bet he can easily appeal it.

Looks like that person was not interviewed by USCIS yet.

AL11 said:
This is a strange case, it was filed on 7/10 and denied on 7/21 without even a AUSA assigned to it ! The judge decided to review the case and make a decision right away without the goverment even responding to the complaint. i am not sure why he did not file 1447 b. but I bet he can easily appeal it.

Mr LA said:
Hello all, :)

I am looking for an expert’s advice, I have filed my lawsuit on May 22, 2006, the 60 days have ended on July 21, 2006, before the 60 days ended the U.S Attorney asked me for extension, so I gave him 30 days. Last Thursday, I did called the U.S Attorney for an updates, he told me that he is going to vacation for 2 weeks and he is coming back in mid Aug, when he come back he may file for answer or he may ask for another 30 or 60 days.

What should I do? :rolleyes:

I truly appreciate your help :)

Hi Mr. LA!

Well, that is up to you. The question should be, how often would you grant them an extension? I, for one, will not offer them anything. Should I have to file, they have already had 7 months (at least!) to complete my name check, if they submitted it around the time I was fingerprinted. I think that is plenty of time to complete something as brainless as a name check.

If they want to have it go to court should I have to deny an extension, so be it.

Cheers!

Legal

congrats to ernorman

ernorman said:
38 days after filing WoM, finally.

I filed in NYC.

My big hat to Ernorman! You did it! Please stay around to help other people who are still fighting. Enjoy your new life!

nobigdeal said:
My big hat to Ernorman! You did it! Please stay around to help other people who are still fighting. Enjoy your new life!

Nobigdeal,

I will and let me know if you need some help.

Ok. Now it looks that what I did is in vain: I typed up 25 plus pages of motion in opposition to Government's motion to dismiss, in anticipation of this move by the government. Most of them are copy and paste. Here are my argument of delay of "security checks":

Furthermore, the government’s arguments about security checks as a prerequisite of granting relief because of national security confuse with Petitioner’s claim and are simply logically unfounded as there is no empirical evidence nor logical conclusion to support that claim. First, Petitioner never attempts to ask this Court to grant relief without security checks. On the contrary, it is the Petitioner’s belief that security check is a vital part of adjudication process and should be applied thoroughly and consistently. What at issue is not whether security check should be abolished or waived, but is the Defendant’s mismanagement of security checks causing unreasonable delay of adjudication of Petitioner’s application.
Second, this Court should note that despite the fact that more than 5 years passed since Defendants received Petitioner’s application and Defendants have virtually all the necessary information concerning Petitioner, Defendants have not named a single adverse factor which could legitimately constitute a ground of concern of national security or public safety as a reason of delay. Therefore, Defendants’ resort to national security is unacceptably vague justification of delaying adjudication, See, Santillan v. Gonzalez, No. C04-2686 MHP (N.D. Calif. August 24, 2005) (“defendants’ [national security] concerns are illogical and unacceptably vague as a legal justification for withholding documents”…as defendants are “unable or unwilling to identify a single [lawful permanent resident] who has been identified as a possible national security threat, much less one who has been detained or deported as a result of security concerns”).
Third, no logical conclusion could ever be made that the delay of completion of security check furthers national security. The plain fact is that aliens are set free with the pending AOS applications. The longer the security check takes, the more time and preparation it buys for terrorists to plot attacks against United States. As Department of Homeland Security (DHS) itself admitted, “[t]hese (security check) delays can interfere with USCIS’ concluding national security and public safety hits with timely denials or referrals to law enforcement.” A Review of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ Alien Security Checks, OIG-06-06 Office of Inspections and Special Reviews of DHS (November 2005). On a legal level, this Court should recognize that Petitioner has legal rights that the government can not simply disregard by waving the national security flag. Petitioner believes that the factual records to be uncovered by discovery, if granted by this Court, will confirm that the real problem is bureaucratic ineptitude and inefficiency that results in Petitioner's rights being violated.
Fourth, it is far from clear that Defendants’ security checks are useful in detecting potential threats to national security. By Defendants’ own admission in Santillan, the procedures challenged in this complaint would not have caught a single September 11 hijacker.
Administrative agencies such as USCIS must explain and justify their actions in order to permit meaningful checks on executive power. “Expert discretion is the lifeblood of the administrative process, but unless we make the requirements for administrative action strict and demanding, expertise, the strength of modern government, can become a monster which rules with no practical limits on its discretion.” Motor Vehicle Mfrs. Ass’n, 463 U.S. at 48 (quoting New York v. United States, 342 U.S. 882, 884). It is “obvious and unarguable” that national security is of paramount importance, see Aptheker v. Secretary of State, 378 U.S. 500, 509 (1964), and it is equally obvious that the government agencies entrusted with preserving that security should take great pains to make rational use of their limited resources. Defendants’ repeated and conclusory appeals to national security concerns simply do not withstand careful scrutiny.

Ernorman,

Congratulation. you deserve it ! & You earned it. Go treat yourself / family with a nice Dinner tonight :)

Hope to see your valuable contribution in the future on this board.

Again Best Luck.

AL11 said:

In my district (TN) judge has to review the case before deciding to proceed or not with it. In my case it was about a week before I received in mail judge's decision to geve a green light to file and send summons, and the judge reviewed the case a day or two after I filed. Not every district has this rule, and many people here were able to file summons the first day. It looks like the district this guy filed in has the same rule, and judge ruled out negative. Can it be a new way to slow down stream of WOMs? :eek:

Problems I see...

AL11 said:

Has anyone checked it out through PACER for the complete petition file? From the attached Judge's decision, there are a few problems there:

1. No clear if he had been interviewed in order to use 1447(b).

2. May not have used the FBI memo about name check expedition as one of the exhibits.

3. Did he also list FBI as one of the defendants, instead of USCIS only? Looks like USCIS's got away this time.

4. This plaintiff did NOT pay the filing fee, and his Application to Proceed Without Prepayment of Fees is DENIED---should have checked to see if one's qualified.