Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

some14all said:
First of all, many thanx to all who answered my question, I really felt that I was not left alone. OK, so here is the deal. You see, when the 60 days period on the summons expired, the US attorney in Pensacola, FL called me and asked for agreeing on 30 days extension as DHS promised her that they are in final stages of investigation of my I-485 case. Yesterday was the end of the 30 days period, and she called me saying that her defendents request another 30 days. I have objected and said that I have already agreed to a previous extension and I am not allowing a new cycle of extensions. Minutes later, i receive an email from her (which has a copy of the new motion for extension). What the motion basically says is this:

"At the request of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the undersigned previously requested a thirty (30) day extension of time within which to respond to the plaintiff’s Original Complaint for Writ in the Nature of Mamdamus and Declaratory Judgment. Although the undersigned diligently has sought instructions from the DHS, it was not until this afternoon
that the Regional Counsel of United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) asked that the undersigned oppose the plaintiff’s Complaint based on a lack of subject matter jurisdiction and/or sovereign immunity. The undersigned is preparing a motion to dismiss the Complaint on the grounds that there is no jurisdiction to hear the complaint but needs additional time within which to prepare a proper response in opposition to the plaintiff’s Original Complaint. Thus, at this time, the government requests a an extension of thirty (30) days within which to respond to and answer the plaintiff’s Original Complaint. While the undersigned intends to file the motion
to dismiss as quickly as possible, and before the additional time requested, the undersigned seeks thirty (30) days in order to insure that the motion is accurate."

that is the BS she threw at me. Anyway, I just went to the court and file a motion to default judgment. I guess there are two outcomes:
1. if the judge wants to go with my motion, that is good.
2. if the judge wants to grant them their extension motion, then that means i need to prepare for the fight of not dismissing the case.

I will need the help from all of you, and I am sure you will do so. I guess all what I need to show is that according to law, the court has jurisdiction and show it through other similar cases that were tried in court. Then, if someone can point me or has a list of these cases, I can use such cases to proof mine. again, thanx for all the help so far.

Now that you filed a motion to default judgment and you have the upper hand, I think you should call the AUSA and try to understand what is going on. when she called you yesterday, did she tell you why they need the extenstion, did she tell you their intent, do you think the letter you got was a retaliation for you not accepting another 30 days extention?
you know lawyers talk to each other all the time, and since you represent yourself you should be keeping in touch with her. She knows now that you are tough and willing to fight, so she will have more respect for you. Some people on this forum were able to convince the AUSA not to file a motion to dismiss and work with them to get the case resolved. it won't hurt to show her that you researched the law and she really has no chance of winning the dissmisal based on lack of lack of subject matter jurisdiction and/or sovereign immunity.
Which US District court you are in?
Good luck and keep up posted, your fight is very important to all of us

Thanks to Ernorman

for your kindly replies. It seems that you are actively researching EDNY records. Have you come across any cases/documents that are useful to fight in the court against possible tricks CIS might play? Such as judegement in our favor, examples in our favor etc. If possible, would you please share such documents with us so all of us can benefit from your hard work? Thanks!

Thanks for your kind words,

WaitingInDallas, buggin, gzmbk1, qim, sfaizullah, maoliz, Gr33nCard, Mr LA and Haddy! Congratz too to all of those who HAVE won the fight, and best of luck for those who are still in the fight.

A side note, don't let your guard down until you got the certificate. Be prepared when you go to the ceremony. There was one lady during my ceremony that was sent OUT, I saw tears in her eyes as she ask all of her guests to leave with her and she just said to them "I can't get it today". 15 minutes later all of them came back and I asked what happened. She was outside of the US once for 6 months and 4 DAYS before the ceremony. The good thing is she went downstairs and somehow got the issue resolved and did receive her certificate that day.

To some14all, I guess knowing that USCIS is an a$$ in this whole process is not as bad as knowing that their attorney is also an a$$. But don't let them intimidate you, you see all the support you get here, you CAN win this fight in court, and you will prevail! Keep us posted and we will all support you, you are not alone!!

Balto

nobigdeal said:
for your kindly replies. It seems that you are actively researching EDNY records. Have you come across any cases/documents that are useful to fight in the court against possible tricks CIS might play? Such as judegement in our favor, examples in our favor etc. If possible, would you please share such documents with us so all of us can benefit from your hard work? Thanks!

Ok, will do.

Here is a sample motion to oppose that extension. Judge (N. Gershon of EDNY) denied USCIS' motion for extension:

Petitioner files this motion to oppose the Motion of Defendants for another 30-day extension to file response to the Petitioner’s complaint.

ANALYSIS
Fed. R. App. P. 4(a)(5)(A)(i) permits a district court "to extend the time to file a notice of appeal if: (i) a party so moved no later than 30 days after the time prescribed by this Rule 4(a) expires; and (ii) that party shows excusable neglect or good cause."
At this stage, however, Petitioner does not believe that Defendants have demonstrated an appropriate basis for another extension. Defendants argue that their request for an extension should be granted because they have filed the Motion prior to the expiration of the 30-day extension following the expiration of Petitioner’s original complaint and can demonstrate "good cause." Mem. at 2. In so arguing, Defendants seek to avoid application of the "excusable neglect" standard under Fed. R. App. P. 4 and erroneously claim that the appropriate standard for the Court to apply to the Motion is one of "good cause." See Mem. at 3 n.1.
The 1979 Advisory Committee Notes upon which Defendants rely for their claim that the correct standard is "good cause," see Mem. at 3 n.1, explicate a draft rule that was not adopted, and in any event present an analysis that does not survive the 2002 amendment to Rule 4(a)(5), which states clearly that the standard to be applied to requests for extensions of time is "excusable neglect or good cause" regardless of when the request is filed:
Despite the text of Rule 4(a)(5)(A), most of the courts of appeals have held that the good cause standard applies only to motions brought prior to the expiration of the original deadline and that the excusable neglect standard applies only to motions brought during the 30 days following the expiration of the original deadline. [Citations omitted.] These courts have relied heavily upon the Advisory Committee Note to the 1979 amendment to Rule 4(a)(5). But the Advisory Committee Note refers to a draft of the 1979 amendment that was ultimately rejected. The rejected draft directed that the good cause standard apply only to motions filed prior to the expiration of the original deadline. Rule 4(a)(5), as actually amended, did not. See 16A Charles Alan Wright, et al., Federal Practice and Procedure § 3950.3, at 148-49 (2d ed. 1996).
A motion for an extension filed prior to the expiration of the original deadline may be granted if Defendants show either excusable neglect or good cause. Likewise, a motion for an extension filed during the 30 days following the expiration of the original deadline may be granted if the Defendants show either excusable neglect or good cause.

The good cause and excusable neglect standards have "different domains." Lorenzen v. Employees Retirement Plan, 896 F.2d 228, 232 (7th Cir. 1990). They are not interchangeable, and one is not inclusive of the other. The excusable neglect standard applies in situations in which there is fault; in such situations, the need for an extension is usually occasioned by something within the control of the Defendants. The good cause standard applies in situations in which there is no fault - excusable or otherwise. In such situations, the need for an extension is usually occasioned by something that is not within the control of the Defendants.
2002 Advisory Ctte. Notes to sub. 4(a)(5)(A)(ii).

Here, the need for an extension is occasioned by something entirely within the control of the Defendants, their decision to ask this Court 30-day extension from the expiration of the original complaint before filing this motion for another 30-day extension. Thus, the appropriate standard to be applied to the Motion is "excusable neglect" and not "good cause". As the Defendants have made no effort to show their delay was excusable, there is now no reason to grant the Motion.
Finally, Petitioner questions whether the Defendants would even be able to satisfy the "good cause" standard given their delay in filing their response. In this connection, Defendants imply that the late instructions from DHS (Department of Homeland Security) are part of the reason why there is "good cause" for extension. See Mem. at 1 ("it was not until this early morning that the General Counsel of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)" asked…”). Petitioner notes that DHS is part of the defendants and its General Counsel’s late action, without any further explanation, does not qualify for “good cause” standard.

CONCLUSION
This Court should deny the defendant’s Motion for another 30-day extension.

fightback said:
I agree with you that AOS cases has much lower priority but I think it's not in CIS. I servered WOM on 6/7/06, the CIS got my complaint 6/12/06, from congressman's inquiry to CIS, CIS sent request to expedite my NC on 6/13/06 but haven't got any response from FBI yet. The CIS also asked FBI second time on 7/10/06, still no answer from FBI. So, it looks like for my case, it's FBI does not take it seriously, not CIS.

Anyway, for WOM/AOS cases in this thread, most of them take more than 3 or 4 monthes or even longer, except few lucky person like Xu111 ;) . We all envy you,Xu111 :D but also very happy for you too! :) :)

For all the people they file WOM/AOS, save all the related info on this thread, prepare for the fight(chances very high) you may face.

I don't think so from the sources I heard. N400 applicants usually got extra screening (and they are told so), primarily because, USCIS is out of option if they found out later something is wrong. The citizenship is virtually irreversible in most cases. But for AOS, USCIS can and will act on anything they deem to disqualify the eligibility.

Guys, need your inputs here.

I want to know what are the basis of they BS motion to dismissal?

I have heard:

Subject matter jurisdiction
remanding back to USCIS coz the court can not do security check
"sovereignty immunity" (That is stupid, I think)
8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i) "restriction of judicial review of discretionary decision"

Anything else???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks again to Ernorman

for the sample motion. May I ask the case number just in case I have to cite this case. It would be great if you can attach the documents including the judge's ruling. Thanks a lot!

nobigdeal said:
for the sample motion. May I ask the case number just in case I have to cite this case. It would be great if you can attach the documents including the judge's ruling. Thanks a lot!

I have to look at the original pdf..... I converted them all to word documents for easy cut and paste. :D :D :D :D :D :D

I may not have judge's ruling but will let you know.

writ of mandamus

thanx alot of all, i feel back again because of all your support.
I am in the northern district of florida.
I am now gonna wait for the judge to see which motion he will pick, I will let you know what happens and keep you posted. I think, at some point, we should gather all cases similar to this one that were tried in court and put a list of them somewhere so that it can be used by others to defeat the USCIS BS lack of jurid...
I hope everyone else here eventually settle his/her case

Help

Dear friends.

I am filing a WOM myself. I listed Michael Chertoff (director of DHS), Emilio Gonzalez (director of USCIS), Robert Mueller (director of FBI), but I don't know who is the director of California Service Center and his address. Could you please let me know? Are those four person enough?

Thanks

Hope

Got oath letter!!!

Today I went to USCIS district office to check my case status. My case has been remanded for 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything from AUSA yet. He promised me that I could take oath ceremony by July.

Guess what I found out? They already scheduled my oath ceremony on 7/26/06 and the letter was sent out on 7/15/06. Surely when I went back to home, the oath letter was lying in my mailbox :D :D

Many many THANKS to Publicus who started this thread and who is the pioneer in fighting with USCIS for our rights! Also thanks to friends and supporters in this forum: emachineman, mohamedmohamed, suzy, balto, Eastbayer, Buggin etc, without all of your help, I might still be waiting in the black hole.

I'm so relieved that life can finally move on. Good luck to those who are still in fight and I believe you can all win at the end :)

maoliz

===============
4/22/05 - N-400 naturalization application filed
7/7/05 - Fingerprinting date
9/13/05 - Interview date (pending the FBI name check)
5/26/06 - 1447(b) Petition filed and US Attorney served
6/23/06 - Name check cleared and filed joint motion to remand the case for 60 days
6/27/06 - Judge signed the motion
7/26/06 – Oath Ceremony

Originally Posted by fightback
I agree with you that AOS cases has much lower priority but I think it's not in CIS. I servered WOM on 6/7/06, the CIS got my complaint 6/12/06, from congressman's inquiry to CIS, CIS sent request to expedite my NC on 6/13/06 but haven't got any response from FBI yet. The CIS also asked FBI second time on 7/10/06, still no answer from FBI. So, it looks like for my case, it's FBI does not take it seriously, not CIS.

Anyway, for WOM/AOS cases in this thread, most of them take more than 3 or 4 monthes or even longer, except few lucky person like Xu111 . We all envy you,Xu111 but also very happy for you too!

For all the people they file WOM/AOS, save all the related info on this thread, prepare for the fight(chances very high) you may face.

One of the attorneys that I talked to, actually focus on his lawsuit on FBI and not USCIS, he goes as far as mentioning that USCIS is not at fault for the delay and he names an FBI special agent responsible for name checks as a defendant as well. Most of his cases however are for N-400, so the strategy may be to really focus on FBI and not only USCIS in a AOS lawsuit

boston_case said:
It normally takes between 3 and 4 weeks to get a reply from FBI. You should be getting it any time now.

Goodluck
I filed mine on 5/22/06 and haven't gotten their response yet. I know for sure that the FBI had received it because I got a call from a woman who wanted to know what exactly I was asking for. Anyway, it differs.

hope_Nov said:
Dear friends.

I am filing a WOM myself. I listed Michael Chertoff (director of DHS), Emilio Gonzalez (director of USCIS), Robert Mueller (director of FBI), but I don't know who is the director of California Service Center and his address. Could you please let me know? Are those four person enough?

Thanks

Hope
Where in CA are you? Go to this link to find the address and the director's name of your USCIS District Office:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/distsub_offices/alphac.htm#anchorCALIFORNIA

You also need to add the US Attorney General to the list of your defendants:

Alberto R. Gonzales, United States Attorney General
US Department of Justice
950 Pensylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001

Good luck!

maoliz said:
Guess what I found out? They already scheduled my oath ceremony on 7/26/06 and the letter was sent out on 7/15/06. Surely when I went back to home, the oath letter was lying in my mailbox :D :D
Hey, Maoliz, you did it! :D

victory

Today AUSA called me and tole me that my long-pending I-485 case was approved today. I agreed to dismiss the case once I got official letter from USCIS.

This forum is really a great one. Hope my experience would encourage those who are still suffering. Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it too. Never lose your spirit when you are fighting.

Good luck to everyone.

I-485:April 17, 2003
EB2@China
NC Initiated: May 7, 2003
WOM Filed: April 6, 2006
AUSA Served: April 25, 2006
Contact AUSA: May 13, 2006
30-day extension: June 25, 2006
NC cleared: July 12, 2006
I-485 approved: July 18, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
ZUR said:
Omda,

First of all congratulation. Can you please share your finger print dates with us? When did you receive the FP letter for the first FP and when were you Finger Printed for the first time? Also, did you get a 2nd FP letter and when will your 2nd FP will be? It is my understanding that the FP should expire after 15 months and you need to take a second set of FP before you can be administered for oath. Please share this with us.

Hi Zur,
I did Finger Print twice. the first was one month after my application, and the second was 15 month after the first one.

Congr. greencard12. Another victory. Just a little question for you. When did you file your WOM? By reading your singature, you filed the WOM in 2003. Is it a typo? Just checking. thanks,

jack

greencard12 said:
Today AUSA called me and tole me that my long-pending I-485 case was approved today. I agreed to dismiss the case once I got official letter from USCIS.

This forum is really a great one. Hope my experience would encourage those who are still suffering. Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it too. Never lose your spirit when you are fighting.

Good luck to everyone.

EB2@China
WOM Filed: April 6, 2003

Congratulations!!!

greencard12 said:

EB2@China
WOM Filed: April 6, 2003
Hey guys, here is another victory on a WOM case!!! :D