Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

File Under Review?

Folks:

I did an infopass yesterday, and for the first time, I was told that my "file is under review" as opposed to "FBI security Clearance Pending"

I asked what does it mean that " my file is under review", and the officer said he will have to ask the officer who is handling my file and get back to me next week. He also asked me to fax him the letter that my congresswoman sent me, where USCIS indicated that Expeditious Processing of name check was requested on 12/18.

I have no idea what it all means?

Can anyone venture a logical interpretation of what went on?

Thank you,

PS. WOM filed 12/06 - Answer was filed by AUSA on March 8th after a 30 day extention.

Thanks

Thanks...

I don't know whether I have a lot of information to share... I filed AOS-based WOM in the end of January 2007. Until the initial hearing (which was a week ago) I did not have any AUSA assigned to my case. However, during the initial hearing I learned that finally somebody was assigned to my case. I should mention that the initial hearing was set before the 60-day deadline for the Defendants. During the hearing the Judge indicated that she is very sympathetic to my case, and she asked AUSA to act on my case and provide the answer on my complaint during the second hearing (she set it in the beginning of April).

I think that this info might be very useful for people who will have their hearing. When I went there I didn’t really have an idea how it works… I just studied my case and statutes of USC I used in my complaint, and was prepared to speak for myself. In reality it was like movie or TV news… It was a huge Court Room full of the people; basically bunch of lawyers in the expensive suits (by the way the suit or business-like dress–a MUST rule in our court)… One huge corporation suing another huge corporation, etc… When your case is called, you have to stand up and go in front of the Judge, greet his/her Honor, introduce yourself and state why you are here. After that AUSA introduced himself. The Judge asked whether AUSA has some answers to my complaint. He said that he’s just got an assignment and therefore has nothing to say. The Judge asked him to act on my complaint and to report back in 30 days. She asked us (AUSA and I) whether we agree with this decision. I said that I agree with that, but I want to get some specific details on my name check. The Judge said that I have a right to do so. We thank the Judge and that was the end of the story. In the total the hearing took about 5-7 minutes.

I don’t know whether the actual hearing and Judge position (in my favor) stimulated the Name Check completion. As I said earlier, that it’s ironic that my name was cleared the day after hearing. I don’t know whether it’s a coincidence or clear reality that the agency won’t move a finger until they will have a call from Attorney General.

I don't think its a matter to coincidence, Its clearly because of your case.. these lazy bums won't do anything without being poked,

I am very happy for you though

All the best

Folks:

I did an infopass yesterday, and for the first time, I was told that my "file is under review" as opposed to "FBI security Clearance Pending"

I asked what does it mean that " my file is under review", and the officer said he will have to ask the officer who is handling my file and get back to me next week. He also asked me to fax him the letter that my congresswoman sent me, where USCIS indicated that Expeditious Processing of name check was requested on 12/18.

I have no idea what it all means?

Can anyone venture a logical interpretation of what went on?

Thank you,

PS. WOM filed 12/06 - Answer was filed by AUSA on March 8th after a 30 day extention.

I have a feeling that its a good sign... hopefully you will hear some good news soon..

Case Remanded With Out Specific Instruction

Hi Team,
Just found that my case is remanded back to USCIS without any specific instruction. This determination is made by judge (Victoria Roberts) not the magistrate by only reading my complaint.
I am sorry team I disappoint you; I thought that I did a very good job on my complaint and now this could be an example for other naturalization cases.
Now, I do not know I could do any thing as Pro Se, please let me know what my options are? I will be calling attorneys this Monday morning to discuss this situation.
Attached are the judge’s order and my docket sheet.
AGAIN, MY APOLOGY TEAM.

How to initiate Discovery into FBI Name Check

Yes, s/he can. The judge can dismiss the case the very moment one have filed it.

I think it is in our best interest to try to push the case into the discovery phase, when USCIS and FBI will have to produce your files, supporting documents, testimonies, etc. AUSAs hate the very thought of going into the discovery phase as it creates huge workload and sure embarrassment for them. Once threatened with such possibility AUSAs put whatever pressure they can on the USCIS and FBI to accelerate the adjudication.

All the best,
snorlax

I'm also thinking of initiating discovery into my name check but not sure how the process works. Who should I talk to (in FBI) to get the reports on the name check? Can I do it myself or should it come from the judge? What information can I ask to receive?
If you guys have any thoughts on the discovery process, I appreciate it if you could share.

Can you give exact words of your prayer?
I was just reading yesterday about motion to reconsider.
You could submit it with request to remand with set number of days
and also explain why you can not wait

Hi Team,
Just found that my case is remanded back to USCIS without any specific instruction. This determination is made by judge (Victoria Roberts) not the magistrate by only reading my complaint.
I am sorry team I disappoint you; I thought that I did a very good job on my complaint and now this could be an example for other naturalization cases.
Now, I do not know I could do any thing as Pro Se, please let me know what my options are? I will be calling attorneys this Monday morning to discuss this situation.
AGAIN, MY APOLOGY TEAM.

Hi Team,
AGAIN, MY APOLOGY TEAM.

Riz,
I think the best way to proceed with a remand case seems to be to hire a attorney who will draft a letter to USCIS stating that your petetion was granted and remanded as requesting prompt action on the case as required by the order. You may have to give it 3 or 4 months and then request a status conference with the court and stating in the request that no action or timeline for action has been set by CIS on the remanded case. I saw some cases like this where district court remanded case back to agency and 6 months later the petetioner requested status conference with the court because of no action on remand. See Turner vs US Navy 1:97CV01653 in District of Columbia.

protected interest?

I emphasized in my complaint that due to the lack of a green card, I cannot obtain research fundings with a GC requirement, can not freely collaborate with researchers in other universities when some compensation is invovled, and cannot attend international conferences without restrictions. I pointed out that the lack of a green card is a disaster to a young researcher who wants to establish himeself/herself in the academia. The AUSA simply ignored all these and suggested that my interest is not protected. I have decided to fight. However, I could not find similar arguments in the MTD's posted on this forum. Any suggestion on how to fight back is greatly appreciated. In the meanwhile, I will reasearch this issue myself.

Can you give exact words of your prayer?
I was just reading yesterday about motion to reconsider.
You could submit it with request to remand with set number of days
and also explain why you can not wait

Hi Team,
I understand that the prayer is very important and I paid much attention to it. I will search for motion to reconsider.

VI. PRAYER

28. Wherefore, in view of the arguments and authority noted herein, Plaintiff respectfully prays that:
I. This Honorable Court will accept and maintain continuing jurisdiction of this action;
II. This Honorable Court will hear Plaintiff’s case and adjudicate Plaintiff’s N-400 application based on the facts presented;
III. As an alternative, Plaintiff prays that this Honorable Court will remand the matter to USCIS with the following specific instructions to the Defendants:
i. USCIS should request immediately to the FBI for expedited processing of Plaintiff’s security check;
ii. FBI should complete the Plaintiff’s security checks as soon as possible but no later than 30 days following the Order of this Honorable Court;
iii. USCIS should adjudicate Plaintiff’s N-400 application as soon as possible but no later than 15 days after the FBI completes the security checks, and report the decision to both Plaintiff and to this Honorable Court;
iv. If USCIS determines that Plaintiff should be naturalized, USCIS shall perform all such formalities associated with the act of naturalization as soon as possible but no later than 60 days from the date of the Order of this Honorable Court.

I think your prayers are clear. I don't know why the judge didn't use your timetable and didn't order anything precise either. In any event, I hope you do not simply dismiss your case. Otherwise, it may weaken other cases like yours.

On second thought, there is nothing wrong about the judge's ruling because the remand is to ask agencies to work on your application promptly. There is nothing to disagree with in this order. I suggest that you mail the ruling along with your prayer page of your lawsuit to USCIS (certified mail), then wait for 60 days as your prayer said, if nothing happens, you go back to the judge. Good luck.

Hi whatsnamecheck,
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement.
Do not worry, I will not let go this. Per FRCP 59(e) “Motion to Alter or Amend a Judgment. “Any motion to alter or amend a judgment shall be filed no later than 10 days after entry of the judgment.”
I have ten days to file, I could do so much and I will.
Thank you

Hi whatsnamecheck,
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement.
The more I read the order all you would need is to request a status conference with the court and just ask to instruct CIS to expedite processing of your case. It is possible that judge found the timetable you requested too detailed and just ignored it in the order but did say "Petetion in granted".
Hire an attorney to file the status conference request and go with you to court.

MTD received on the 60th day

Here is the details of my case and the most recent updates:

• Employement based 485, pending since 04/07/2003 (4th year anniversary is coming)
  • Filed WOM on 12/26/2006
  • Clerk put 20 days on the summons (clerk's mistake)
  • AUSA asked for extension due to clerk's mistake, setting the 60 day deadline to 03/16/2007
  • Judge ordered AUSA to show cause as to why my relief should not be granted. Order's deadline is 03/19/2007
  • AUSA filed MTD on the deadline, 03/16/2007

MTD is based on FRCP 12(b)1 and FRCP 12(b) 6. AUSA claims that the court lacks jurisdiction and as a plaintiff I failed to state a claim. Looks like this is the standard MTD template nowadays. AUSA used the following in the MTD:

"The adjudication of an adjustment of status application is expressly committed to agency discretion. See 8 USC 1255(a). Moreover, no statutory or regulatory provisions provide a "meaningful standard" against which to measure the time it takes CIS to process an application. .... Without any mandatory time frame, in order to determine that CIS has "unreasonably delayed" adjudication of Plaintiff's application, this Court would have to create a temporal standards from thin air."

I will post the full MTD early next week for the seniors of the forum's review.

Let the fight begin!

vcs_victim

Hi, I think your prayer is a little bit complicated. Maybe the judge read it too quickly and couldn't get an exact timetable that you were requesting. But the good news is that your petition has been granted, and AUSA didn't even file a motion to dismiss your case. I think you are close to victory if your motion to amend works out.

In your motion to amend, maybe you can make it very simple: request the judge to order FBI (assuming it's one of the defendants in your case) to finish your name check within 30 days, then USCIS to adjudicate within 30 days thereafter.

Paz1960 is definitely more knowledgeable than many lawyers. Maybe you can send him a private message for help.

Good luck.

Unfortunately, this prayer of 786riz, what you think that is "a little bit complicated" is originating from me. Obviously, it didn't work as expected, however I am still convinced that it should be layed out precisely what you want from the court to do. The problem is that the judge has too much liberty to remand the case with "specific instructions". What she put in that "specific instruction" is meaningless for this particular case, and I don't believe that she didn't know this because the judge just read the complaint (and the prayer) too quick. These people are professional and work in this field for many years and they know exactly what are the consequences of not reading something carefully. Unfortunately, the statue doesn't provide any guidance what this "specific instructions" should contain. But in my opinion, such an instruction is clearly in violation of the spirit and reason of this law.

My personal opinion is that this judge just didn't want to grant a meaningful relief. Because of this, I don't see too optimistic any further action at this level. However, I would definitely submit a Motion to Alter or Amend the Judgement, explaining why this order is without meaning in this particular case; what was the intention of Congress when they enacted this statue and what exactly Plaintiff is asking to be modified in the judgement.

If this motion is denied (likely, in my opinion), there are only two further options:
1. wait some time (how much?) and if case is still not solved, file another lawsuit, this time a mandamus to compel FBI to finish the name check.
2. appeal the judge's decision at the 6th Circuit Court, essentially with the same arguments used in the Motion to Alter or Amend the Judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Paz, I may be too pessimistic but I think this could be what future orders for 1447b lawsuits would look like: remand back to USCIS to process promptly. Here is why:
1) when 1447b lawsuits first emerged in 2005, CIS fought back to argue that the interview is not the examination, name check is part of the examination. This tactic worked but not anymore.
2) then they started MTD,
3) now they don't even want to waste the time to file MTD because there will be opposition to MTD that they have to wrestle with, so they just order a remand to process PROMPTLY but essentially dismiss such cases by sending the naturalization candidates to where they started.

I wish Senator Obama had time to look into such issues. There are potentially tens of or maybe hundreds of thousands voters for the 2008 election.

There were several similar orders in this district court in the past, so nothing is new, except that the judge ordered the remand even before the defendants filed anything with the court. This is almost like that infamous judge in Houston, who dismissed instantenously several similar lawsuits.

However, I suspect that you are making some confusions in your assumptions about the general trend in such lawsuits. The basic problem, if I interpret correctly what you wrote, is that you are mixing the courts actions with the defendants' actions. The motions are coming from the defendants, the orders from the courts. These are two distinct separate players in these stories.

There were several similar orders in this district court in the past, so nothing is new, except that the judge ordered the remand even before the defendants filed anything with the court. This is almost like that infamous judge in Houston, who dismissed instantenously several similar lawsuits.

However, I suspect that you are making some confusions in your assumptions about the general trend in such lawsuits. The basic problem, if I interpret correctly what you wrote, is that you are mixing the courts actions with the defendants' actions. The motions are coming from the defendants, the orders from the courts. These are two distinct separate players in these stories.

Paz,
Can riz786 request a status conference on the remand with the court and tell the court that CIS expedite processing of his case so that a prompt resolution to the case is possible as per the order ? What is the role of status conferences when judgements are already awarded ?

hi Paz, I may be too pessimistic but I think this could be what future orders for 1447b lawsuits would look like: remand back to USCIS to process promptly. Here is why:
1) when 1447b lawsuits first emerged in 2005, CIS fought back to argue that the interview is not the examination, name check is part of the examination. This tactic worked but not anymore.
2) then they started MTD,
3) now they don't even want to waste the time to file MTD because there will be opposition to MTD that they have to wrestle with, so they just order a remand to process PROMPTLY but essentially dismiss such cases by sending the naturalization candidates to where they started.

I wish Senator Obama had time to look into such issues. There are potentially tens of or maybe hundreds of thousands voters for the 2008 election.

This will definitley set the precedent in any prayer that asks as alternative a remand in 1447b. If you want the case to drag on, like we all do to keep pressure on AUSA maybe we should not ask for remand as alternative or also add claim for costs if petetion is granted. In some attorney filing I have seen very brief payer that says: Naturalize the applicant.

Hi Team,
AGAIN, MY APOLOGY TEAM.
Dear 786riz,

Do not blame yourself – you have done everything right. It is just the unpredictable winds of battle turned against you. Whatever went wrong with that lady that particular day – we will never know – but it has nothing to do with you or the qualities of your Complaint.

I would follow Paz1960’s comments and may be consult with a professional layer to get through procedural issues. I think USCIS will go with the wording of the order, not the prayer, so requesting a status conference and submitting a Motion to Alter or Amend the Judgment is necessary. And if that does not work, then appeal the judge's decision at the 6th Circuit Court (nerves, time and expenses again).

All the best, keep pushing (I know – easily said than done…)
snorlax

In California, I found cases as recent as those closed in March 2007 with precise timetables in judges' orders. 30 to 60 days for USCIS to adjudicate or naturalize.

In my prayer, I asked that as an alternative, the court needs to compel the agencies to finish their work immediately. If I got a order like what 786riz received from the judge, I would file a motion to amend by asking the court to outline a precise timetable. My reasons would be as follows:
1) FBI told my senator's office to wait for 90 days for a follow-up inquiry,
2) CIS asked ombudsman to wait for 45 days for a response,
3) One CIS officer wrote to me to wait for another 120 days to contact the agency again
4) Another CIS officer wrote to me to wait for another 180 days.
Without a precise timetable, I wouldn't know when to get a resolution.

Riz786, Whatsnamecheck and Paz,

I am sorry on your desicion, Riz, but at the same time, I think there's " "light in the end", somewhat like Whatsnamecheck said. Here is why:

As you can add now the Motion to Amend the Judgement, you can say in PAZ words almost, that without "specific instructions" this order to remand is meaningless, and the instrucions are the timelimit to finish your namecheck followed by prompt adjudication from CIS.

Then you will appeal and we all should try to help anyway we can, because your case will concern all of us (who filed and still not filed yet). And I think, this may mean a dealy of up to 6 months in your decision, but you will win within 6 months. Because the judge still used 'Prompt" and when you petition or appeal for further inaction, beyond 6 month is not prompt (Hope they'd agree).

The other main point i tried to make in private and to Snorlax on forum before is: the reason I think we should use WOM TOGETHER with our 1447(b) is, we want to avoid this precise scenario: remand without timelimit. What must be shown immediately, you want not only jusrisdiction of court, but you need to show the judge that (s)he needs to compel FBI to finish that nc within a timelimit, and without this order the whole complaint of yours become meaningless.

So Riz, did you ask for WOM in your order or simply requested deadlines without WOM complaint? Of course, you still can do it now, but perhaps it would be more effective if it was done together with 1447.

My other thought: as Paz and everyone many others commented, WOM is harder than the clear 1447, (it's just you still need it to compel FBI to act). You have to show you exhausted other options, you have to show you are owed this (-and you are if you apply for N-400) and you have to have jurisdiction (which doesn't seem to be an issue any more). So in N-400 casses WOM may not be so hard as in AOS cases.

The other thought is Riz had less than a year since his interview passed when he filed his 1447. So as I agree with Paz, that the judge's decision is hardly rushed and just badly thought of, but the judge has simply considered the time passed not large enough to be considered unreasonable. So perhaps by the time you lose your Amended Motion (Still some little chance you win, though) and then you wait for a 60 days to go back to court (if again no action, but there may be), and by then you have more time elapsed, more "unreasonable delay" may be shown.

In your Amend please see the argument about unreasonableness from hardship in Singh and Razak orders: judges said in both places unreasonable is more persuasive if hardship is involved (you can't get a right job, you can't travel, can't petition your relatives, etc). These two decisions also have agreat points on non'discretionary duty to act and also guidelines one of the judges listed in deciding on "ureasonable time", I think. Also please talk to seniors and others you like so that they can help you. You need all the help you can get and you need it NOW.

But I really think you will win and time is within 6-8 months at most.

Good luck! Please let us know what help you need.

Dear 786riz,

Do not blame yourself – you have done everything right. It is just the unpredictable winds of battle turned against you. Whatever went wrong with that lady that particular day – we will never know – but it has nothing to do with you or the qualities of your Complaint.

I would follow Paz1960’s comments and may be consult with a professional layer to get through procedural issues. I think USCIS will go with the wording of the order, not the prayer, so requesting a status conference and submitting a Motion to Alter or Amend the Judgment is necessary. And if that does not work, then appeal the judge's decision at the 6th Circuit Court (nerves, time and expenses again).

All the best, keep pushing (I know – easily said than done…)
snorlax

Hi Team,
Thank you so much for your help and words of encouragements.
In my district most of the cases were remanded back to USCIS with out any specific instruction, so this is not new. Before filing my case I had a fear that may happen but as you know that the choices were either file or wait, so I chose the former.
This is first time I saw that a judge ruled by just looking the complaint. Furthermore, same judge remanded several other cases to USCIS without any specific instruction. In one case, attorney filed for motion to reconsider but the same judge denied the motion, I have attached the judge’s order, motion to reconsider and judge’s final ruling.
I understand that the prospects are not very promising with this judge but I will try all of the available options you folks mentioned and I will not give up. I will start shopping for a good attorney from Monday.
Thank you again.

Hi Team,
Thank you so much for your help and words of encouragements.
In my district most of the cases were remanded back to USCIS with out any specific instruction, so this is not new. Before filing my case I had a fear that may happen but as you know that the choices were either file or wait, so I chose the former.
This is first time I saw that a judge ruled by just looking the complaint. Furthermore, same judge remanded several other cases to USCIS without any specific instruction. In one case, attorney filed for motion to reconsider but the same judge denied the motion, I have attached the judge’s order, motion to reconsider and judge’s final ruling.
I understand that the prospects are not very promising with this judge but I will try all of the available options you folks mentioned and I will not give up. I will start shopping for a good attorney from Monday.
Thank you again.
Well, something is seriously wrong with this lady – she does not even argue the points – just swings the gavel.

Notice though that this was the motion to reconsider not the motion to alter or amend. I understand that the difference is technical, unlikely, but, who knows, may be motion to amend would work?

I wish you all the best,
snorlax