Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

DUDE12190 said:
Q1)Is this also true in other circuts that whenever a 1447b is filed, USCIS loses jurisdiction and can not do anything. I think it is a problem beacuse how about if someone take the case back from the court because USCIS pressures him/her that they can not do anything until the case is in the court.

Q2) I am planning to file in New York, which ,I believe, is not in a circuit where USCIS automatically loses jurisdiction as soon as someone files 1447b. Should I request that judge make a decision on my application or is it not going to help me?
Paz,can you please clarify this because I am confused here. Thank You!

So far only 9th circuit court clearly made the rulling that USCIS lose Jursidiction. Other District court do not have common voice on that so some Judges ruled they do have sole jursdiction and some ruled they have joint jursdiction. Issue is still under gray lines in other districts.

You can always reference case from 9th District that clearly states USCIS lose Jurisdiction in your opposition to Motion to Dismiss.

Paz I got a question for you. My AUSA filed 30 day extension motion he also mentioned two other Attorneys on defendent counsel. One is FBI attorney and other one is USCIS attorney is this normal practice or he just added them to keep them in loop about case progress so that they can get updates electronically via pacer.

Can you comment on this please?

phlipimi said:
Thank you very much for your quick response!
The reason I did not send the local attorney the copy is because I don't want to make the local attorney confused.

Again, thank you very much for your help!

It is good idea to send. I called my AUSA and he said that he received it electronically so he do not need the mailed copy. It does not hurt to send one if you are not in contact with your AUSA.

I never sent any in my case.

Thank you

wenlock said:
It is good idea to send. I called my AUSA and he said that he received it electronically so he do not need the mailed copy. It does not hurt to send one if you are not in contact with your AUSA.

I never sent any in my case.

Thank you very much Wenlock.

I will call the AUSA's office to ask whether they need it. Is there any time frame that we have to send the copy to the AUSA after we filed the certificate of the service? Like we have to send the copy to the AUSA in certain amout of days after we filed the certificate of service to the court.

Again, thank you very much!

phlipimi said:
Thank you very much Wenlock.

I will call the AUSA's office to ask whether they need it. Is there any time frame that we have to send the copy to the AUSA after we filed the certificate of the service? Like we have to send the copy to the AUSA in certain amout of days after we filed the certificate of service to the court.

Again, thank you very much!

Usually normal rule of thumb is that any time you file any thing with court send a copy to Defendent counsel at the same time. So that means that you should send copy as soon as you file some thing with court.

Now for all the motions or answer you always have certificate of service included that under penalty of perjury you certify that you filed copy of above motion or what ever document to defendents counsel on __ date.
So make sure you mail stuff on same date as you mentioned in court document.

Now all the US attorney offices have direct electronic access to court system so they always get email right away as soon as some thing is docked in case at court.

Like I have electronic filling too so every time some one makes activity on my case I get email right away. I specially asked my case handler to register me for electronic access. This way I know when Judge got alerted and when he ruled or defendent filed motion.

WOM Lawyer recommendation in NY area.

Can anyone recommend a lawyer in New york area.

I am working in lower manhattan and want to file wom through a lawyer.

Thanks.

WhyThisDelay said:
Can anyone recommend a lawyer in New york area.

I am working in lower manhattan and want to file wom through a lawyer.

Thanks.

I would suggest you register on Pacer http://pacer.psc.uscourts.gov/ and view cases in SDNY (holds jurisdiction over NY county) for lawyers.
Or
You can always look at Publicius first post and go pro-se.

Last edited by a moderator:
aka808 said:
I would suggest you register on Pacaer and view cases in SDNY (holds jurisdiction over NY county) for lawyers.
Or
You can always look at Publicius first post and go pro-se.

Probably is a beginner question, but how do I register for PACER?? If this has been answered before - can someone point me to link to that post?

(It probably will be still take me a lot of time to go through the pacer cases. So if someone had a good experience with a lawyer in new york metro area, I'm all ears for recommendation.)

wenlock said:
Paz I got a question for you. My AUSA filed 30 day extension motion he also mentioned two other Attorneys on defendent counsel. One is FBI attorney and other one is USCIS attorney is this normal practice or he just added them to keep them in loop about case progress so that they can get updates electronically via pacer.

Can you comment on this please?
I saw couple of cases (not too many) where more than one counsel was listed representing the Defendants. I didn't figure out why, but I would agree with you that in this way the FBI and USCIS attorney is also in the loop. I certainly don't see any reason to worry. I would bet a large amount that even if you would have to go on trial, the guys from Washington wouldn't show up in the courtroom.

Bad news for expedited name check

paz1960 said:
You should not try to contact the judge assigned to your case. At this stage all the possible negotiations should be between you and the counsel of the defendants: AUSA. In principle: if you want anything from the court, you should file a motion.

Why is posted in your docket at several defendants that no return receipt attached? Did you file a Certificate of Service similar to one I posted couple of days ago? As proof of service this Plaintiff used the receipts he received from the post office when he mailed the certified mails and the USPS tracking web site printouts showing the date of delivery. It worked for him, I used a very similar one (the difference was that I served the US Attorney's Office also by mail, not in person; they are in a different town, about 80 mi from where I live).

Dear Paz,

I talked to the AUSA this afternoon. He was very nice and elaborated on the name check process:
Here is the outcome:
1. The AUSA receives a lit report from the agencies that are involved (FBI, DHS). Usually, this can take up to three months provided that you do not have a common name from one of the countries in the Middle East.
2. The FBI is planning on abolishing the 'expedited name check' as it violates in their opinion the "first come, first serve basis"
3. A name check also usually includes contacting the law enforcement agencies of the country the applicant has the citizenship from.
4. He has seen cases where it took 3 years for the FBI to come up with a name check.
5. Even if there are derogatory items of a newer date, it still might mean that it is not computerized and an agent has to physically review the evidence, complete a report, submit it to the DHS, and if you have filed a suit, to the AUSA.

That is evidently the bottom line. The AUSA asked me whether I was ok if he filed an extension till mid February in the hope that he has a lit report in his hands by that day and asked me to contact him a few days before that date.
I was also informed that I am on the (still existing) expedite list of the FBI.
Well....

D.

last chapter of my story

I had the Oath Ceremony today morning, administered by the same judge who was handling my lawsuit. He just signed last Friday the order to dismiss the case, I got a copy in the mail yesterday. At the end, when the new citizens could go up on the podium to make a picture with the judge under the US flag, when we shook hands, I told him very briefly my story. He said that "Yes, I remember signing your order; I don't understand how this Immigration Office operates" and he was shaking his head, disapprovingly. He made a comment during his public speach when he welcomed the new citizens and congratulated them that they made it through "the bureaucratic maze" of USCIS. So I got the impression, that if my case would reach his bench, he would not be too sympatetic to the AUSA's defense. But I might be hearing more what he said (wishful hearing...)

When Jack Lin, the assistant director of USCIS (he was in charge with the ceremony from the USCIS side) handled me the Certificate of citizenship and I told him my name, he said: "Oh, YOU are Mr. XX; I was wondering when you show up". So probably he knew about my lawsuit.

Anyway, this long ordeal is over now, and as I promised, I'm posting now the draft of the Opposition to Defendants' Motion to Dismiss or Remand, which was never needed, so it may need some additional work to address specific issues from an actual Motion filed by Defendants. I will begin also to post some of the cases I used in this Opposition, of course, not the full dockets, just the judges' opinion & orders. But from the case numbers anybody with a PACER subscription will be able to easily find these cases and download whatever document wants from the respective dockets.

I wish to thank everybody who helped me and contributed to this forum. I'm especially indebted to the "founding fathers and mothers" of this forum and I wish I had find earlier this website, maybe I would not wait two years after my interview. I encourage everybody who is still considering what to do: stand up for your rights and you will prevail. You will need a lot of time, patience, perseverence and a little luck, but the law is on your side and ultimately you will get what you are entitled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulation!

paz1960 said:
I had the Oath Ceremony today morning, administered by the same judge who was handling my lawsuit. He just signed last Friday the order to dismiss the case, I got a copy in the mail yesterday. At the end, when the new citizens could go up on the podium to make a picture with the judge under the US flag, when we shook hands, I told him very briefly my story. He said that "Yes, I remember signing your order; I don't understand how this Immigration Office operates" and he was shaking his head, disapprovingly. He made a comment during his public speach when he welcomed the new citizens and congratulated them that they made it through "the bureaucratic maze" of USCIS. So I got the impression, that if my case would reach his bench, he would not be too sympatetic to the AUSA's defense. But I might be hearing more what he said (wishful hearing...)

When Jack Lin, the assistant director of USCIS (he was in charge with the ceremony from the USCIS side) handled me the Certificate of citizenship and I told him my name, he said: "Oh, YOU are Mr. XX; I was wondering when you show up". So probably he knew about my lawsuit.

Anyway, this long ordeal is over now, and as I promised, I'm posting now the draft of the Opposition to Defendants' Motion to Dismiss or Remand, which was never needed, so it may need some additional work to address specific issues from an actual Motion filed by Defendants. I will begin also to post some of the cases I used in this Opposition, of course, not the full dockets, just the judges' opinion & orders. But from the case numbers anybody with a PACER subscription will be able to easily find these cases and download whatever document wants from the respective dockets.

I wish to thank everybody who helped me and contributed to this forum. I'm especially indebted to the "founding fathers and mothers" of this forum and I wish I had find earlier this website, maybe I would not wait two years after my interview. I encourage everybody who is still considering what to do: stand up for your rights and you will prevail. You will need a lot of time, patience, perseverence and a little luck, but the law is on your side and ultimately you will get what you are entitled.

Congratulations! Well, deserved! Again, thanks so much for your assistance in this forum! It is needed? So what is the next? The USPS for not mailing the passport on time, just kidding!
But you are right, it takes a lot of energy dealing with these issue and you sometimes wonder whether it is worth the trouble. However, I get the feeling that even the AUSA start to realize what mess they have to deal with.

Best

D.

WhyThisDelay said:
Probably is a beginner question, but how do I register for PACER?? If this has been answered before - can someone point me to link to that post?

(It probably will be still take me a lot of time to go through the pacer cases. So if someone had a good experience with a lawyer in new york metro area, I'm all ears for recommendation.)
Go to http://pacer.psc.uscourts.gov/ and under the second menu item on the left side you will be able to register. You will need to have a valid creidt card, because this service is for fee, 8 cents/page.

Saarlaender said:
Congratulations! Well, deserved! Again, thanks so much for your assistance in this forum! It is needed? So what is the next? The USPS for not mailing the passport on time, just kidding!
But you are right, it takes a lot of energy dealing with these issue and you sometimes wonder whether it is worth the trouble. However, I get the feeling that even the AUSA start to realize what mess they have to deal with.

Best

D.
You are not too far from the truth. I went right to the Post Office to apply for my passport. After staying 30 minutes in line, the employee measured the lenght of my face on the passport photo and told me: "Sir, this picture is not good. The maximum lenght of the ovval around your face can be 1" 3/8, this is 1" 7/16. But we can take a new set of pictures for $15" I was so mad, that I just collected my paperwork and left... But she was right, it was my fault.

paz1960 said:

Dear Paz!

Congratulations!!!

Many thanks for sharing your information and taking lots of time patiently answering our questions in this forum. The knowledge you provided has been indispensable for many of us!

Thanks again! May your clearance procedure (for that nuclear lab of your dream) be a breather compared to USCIS/FBI ordeal of yours.

snorlax

While re-searching pacer today, i found a submission from Michael Cannon (Head of NNCP) National name check program. I have seen many cases, but never an actual submission from the FBI to the court. Attached is the case file:

aka808 said:
While re-searching pacer today, i found a submission from Michael Cannon (Head of NNCP) National name check program. I have seen many cases, but never an actual submission from the FBI to the court. Attached is the case file:

The pdf appears corrupted on my screen. Could you double check to open it?

aka808 said:
It is very useful that you posted this. Actually it can be used also by the Plaintiff, it supports our case, not only the case of the Defendants. I used the same affidavit as an exhibit in my complaint. I made reference to the paragraph which discusses that FBI can expedite the name check, but only to the request of USCIS. (This affidavit of Michael Cannon it is used in many cases by defendants, essentially the same text, first I saw it in a case in New Hampshire, early 2006).