Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

wenlock said:
When did you served AUSA? Is it after Dec 22nd 2006?

I served AUSA on December 15, but it took some time to reach assigned AUSA and they said that after December 22, there is no acception expedite from AUSA, which is depend on how quickly your AUSA response to your case.

micahel1008 said:
I served AUSA on December 15, but it took some time to reach assigned AUSA and they said that after December 22, there is no acception expedite from AUSA, which is depend on how quickly your AUSA response to your case.

I would try to contact AUSA again and ask her to try to check with General Counsel office of FBI. Did you included Attorney General and FBI director both as defendents or not? In my case my AUSA is in contact with both USCIS and FBI general counsel may be FBI lawyers can request expediate as they are also defendets. If your AUSA is willing to help I think you can give it a try.

wenlock said:
I would try to contact AUSA again and ask her to try to check with General Counsel office of FBI. Did you included Attorney General and FBI director both as defendents or not? In my case my AUSA is in contact with both USCIS and FBI general counsel may be FBI lawyers can request expediate as they are also defendets. If your AUSA is willing to help I think you can give it a try.

Thank you so much, but I didn't include FBI as defendent since my case was screwed up by USCIS and due to their mixed up my A# and casued a one and half years additional delay. I talked to FBI through congressman office, they said if USCIS sent request, they will do the expedite. I should include FBI in the list, but.....

Today is my day

Thanks to all friends here and especial thanks to paz1960.
I just couldn't help sharing my happyness with your guys. I believe my (and my wife's) case was approved minutes or hours ago. I was so axious with my case that I checked my CIS account many many times everyday. I checked this morning, after lunch, and late afternoon. There was no change. However, I checked again minutes ago and I saw the magic messages.
As I am typing this message, 3 emails keep coming into my email box.
This is the end of my long journey, the begining of my new life, and the begining of my forgiveness to the Attorney who screwed up my applcation and put our family in suffering.
I will certainly keep you guys in my prayer and sincerely wish the best luck to everybody. We deserve it. Fairness and Justice.

Here is my story in short/long:

1st LC filed in late 2002 (Lawyer screwed up and was denied early 2003)
140-NIW filed Mid 2003
2nd LC filed late 2003 (Still pending at Philadelphia BEC)
140 REF April 2005
140 REF sent back one day before the dead line
(Thanks to one of my firends who helped me out. The same D* lawyer didn't even get my profession right the day before the deadline)
140 Approved June 2005
485 Received July 2005
1st FP Aug 2005
WOM filed 12/12/06
Name Check cleared 12/12/06 (What a coincidence!)
2nd FP notice date 12/12/06
2nd FP 12/26/06
485 LUD 12/27/06 & 01/03/07
Senator, Congressman Inquiry, and ASUA confirmed: case with adjudicating officer since Jan 5, 2007
TODAY: Jan 22nd, 2007. APPROVED

Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations!

huxf said:
I just couldn't help sharing my happyness with your guys. I believe my (and my wife's) case was approved minutes or hours ago. I was so axious with my case that I checked my CIS account many many times everyday. I checked this morning, after lunch, and late afternoon. There was no change. However, I checked again minutes ago and I saw the magic messages.
This is the end of my long journey, the begining of my new life, and the begining of my forgiveness to the Attorney who screwed up my applcation and put our family in suffering.
I will certainly keep you guys in my prayer and sincerely wish the best luck to everybody. We deserve it. Fairness and Justice.

140-NIW filed Mid 2003
140 REF April 2005
(Thanks to one of my firends who helped me out. The same D* lawyer didn't even get my profession right the day before the deadline)
140 Approved June 2005
485 Received July 2005
1st FP Aug 2005
WOM filed 12/12/06
2nd FP 12/26/06
Senator, Congressman Inquiry, and ASUA confirmed: case with adjudicating officer since Jan 5, 2007

Congratualtion on your approval!!!!

My case is also approved today at VSC.

EB1B 140&485 concurrently filed on 09/30/05,
140 was approved on 03/24/06.

Contact Congressman and Senator to confirm that 485 is pending due to Name Check.

File WOM at the end of November 2006.
485 approved on 01/22/07.

huxf said:

140-NIW filed Mid 2003
140 REF April 2005
140 Approved June 2005
485 Received July 2005
1st FP Aug 2005
WOM filed 12/12/06
2nd FP 12/26/06

Judge denies the defendants' motion to dismiss

I had a conference with judge and AUSA on 01/19. It was actually a hearing. I didn't prepare very well. The judge basically sensed that I am so ignorant of the procedure and only asked me one question: How does it affect your life without the adjudication of your I-485 application? I basically repeated what I wrote in my compliant. The left time the judge asked all questions to AUSA:

Judge: how did FBI work on this case?
AUSA: I don't know. They have a huge backlog to work on. As I mentioned in email, the background check on this case has been expedited. FBI told me this morning. They are acting on it now.
Judge: What happened to USCIS?
AUSA: ....They can only sent a small fraction pending cases to FBI for expediting every month..... It is expired on December. Thus they sent it to expedite in January.....

Judge: I will trust government to act proper to this case and give them another 60 days........
AUSA: Yes, your honored, we should trust government to properly act the case. It should be solved less than 60 days.

The whole hearing lasted only ten minutes. Then the judge denied the defendants' motion to dismiss and filed an order in hand-writing:

(1) Parties may conduct paper discovery for 60 days
(2) Joint pretrial order shall be filed by April 6, 2007
(3) Docket call shall be held April 13, 2007, at 4:00 pm

I am kind of understanding my case will go to the trial. Paz, wenlock or some else , Could you help me to understand this order? My question is:

Is (1) is a paper joint-discovery? If you have some of this examples, could you tell me? I may prepare now.

What a joint pretrial order? Is that means that I should meet AUSA to determine a trail time and file it to tell judge?

What is the Docket call?

Wenlock, I really thank you to help me win the first step. please to check your personal email.

Now I am kind of feeling that maybe more and more people are going to go through what I get to go through in the fight. The information that I get from this hearing is that the USCIS currently have a limit for how many expidition cases they will sent to FBI every month. I don't know the real number.

I didn't expect my case will go to the trial. Whatever, I will see how long I can fight with them. The sharing in this thread is really valuable. Thank all the people in this thread who devoted a lot of their time, energy, money and so on to learn themselves and generously shared and help others. Maybe our fights are going to be harder than before. But adding everyone's intelligience, experience and information, we will defeat them. We know we are right and justice is in our side.

I will continue to share my experience about my case with my limited knowledge.

micahel1008 said:
Thank you so much, but I didn't include FBI as defendent since my case was screwed up by USCIS and due to their mixed up my A# and casued a one and half years additional delay. I talked to FBI through congressman office, they said if USCIS sent request, they will do the expedite. I should include FBI in the list, but.....

Another screw up A#. We are in the same boat. They screw up my A# too. USCIS is still requiring expidition to FBI after December 22th. But they have a quota for it every month. Now I think AUSA plays an important role to get the NC expedited. Unfortunately, we can not choose the AUSA.

whatsnamecheck said:
Did you do file this lawsuit yourself (pro se)? You are courageous. I waited for many years for my greencard because I didn't know I could file a lawsuit. Now I am waiting again for my citizenship. Fortunately, there is a hard rule that requires a decision be made 120 days after the interview. I am hesitating whether I should file a lawsuit pro se or get a lawyer. The lawyers all charge a lot of money and they all say taking on the government by myself without a lawyer is crazy.
If you could find a good lawyer, it may be worth to get one. I tried to find one since my case became complicated. But I could not find a good one in my area. I get to fight whatever I can on pro se. Everything is in God's hand!

You maybe file pro se first and at the same time to try to locate a good attorney. If you go through this thread, you can get all information for filing it pro se.

Comfused said:
I had a conference with judge and AUSA on 01/19...
Confused,
so it was a telephone conference or you had to attend the court?
I filed PerSe (WOM GC) in San Francisco and have scheduled telephone conf on Feb 1. I hope that my judge will also be understanding...

kefira said:
Confused,
so it was a telephone conference or you had to attend the court?
I filed PerSe (WOM GC) in San Francisco and have scheduled telephone conf on Feb 1. I hope that my judge will also be understanding...
It is a very formal one. AUSA and I both appeared in the court room. This is my first time to stand in the big court room. Frankly, I was very nervous and kind of scared by the judge who sits high and looked down AUSA and me. There may be another three other people to do recording stuff sit between judge and AUSA and me, sit lower than judge but higher than AUSA and me.

Comfused said:
I had a conference with judge and AUSA on 01/19. It was actually a hearing. I didn't prepare very well. The judge basically sensed that I am so ignorant of the procedure and only asked me one question: How does it affect your life without the adjudication of your I-485 application? I basically repeated what I wrote in my compliant. The left time the judge asked all questions to AUSA:

AUSA: I don't know. They have a huge backlog to work on. As I mentioned in email, the background check on this case has been expedited. FBI told me this morning. They are acting on it now.
AUSA: ....They can only sent a small fraction pending cases to FBI for expediting every month..... It is expired on December. Thus they sent it to expedite in January.....

Judge: I will trust government to act proper to this case and give them another 60 days........
AUSA: Yes, your honored, we should trust government to properly act the case. It should be solved less than 60 days.

The whole hearing lasted only ten minutes. Then the judge denied the defendants' motion to dismiss and filed an order in hand-writing:

I am kind of understanding my case will go to the trial. Paz, wenlock or some else , Could you help me to understand this order? My question is:

Is (1) is a paper joint-discovery? If you have some of this examples, could you tell me? I may prepare now.

What a joint pretrial order? Is that means that I should meet AUSA to determine a trail time and file it to tell judge?

What is the Docket call?

Wenlock, I really thank you to help me win the first step. please to check your personal email.

Now I am kind of feeling that maybe more and more people are going to go through what I get to go through in the fight. The information that I get from this hearing is that the USCIS currently have a limit for how many expidition cases they will sent to FBI every month. I don't know the real number.

I didn't expect my case will go to the trial. Whatever, I will see how long I can fight with them. The sharing in this thread is really valuable. Thank all the people in this thread who devoted a lot of their time, energy, money and so on to learn themselves and generously shared and help others. Maybe our fights are going to be harder than before. But adding everyone's intelligience, experience and information, we will defeat them. We know we are right and justice is in our side.

Comfused: First of all good job on the first appearance in the court. I bet it's no longer an easy thing especially if you have to go through trial. I am thinking about filing as Pro Se in a month or so..taking time to educate myself ..But thanks to ppl like you who share their valuable and informative experiences with us..It really helps gathering all the info and thus preparing to file as Pro Se..I wish u Good Luck for future procedures/trials!

huxf said:

140-NIW filed Mid 2003
140 REF April 2005
140 Approved June 2005
485 Received July 2005
1st FP Aug 2005
WOM filed 12/12/06
2nd FP 12/26/06
Congratulations, huxf! I'm really happy for your success. Enjoy your newly found freedom!

Happyheart said:
Congratualtion on your approval!!!!

My case is also approved today at VSC.

EB1B 140&485 concurrently filed on 09/30/05,
140 was approved on 03/24/06.

Contact Congressman and Senator to confirm that 485 is pending due to Name Check.

File WOM at the end of November 2006.
485 approved on 01/22/07.
Now you are certainly happy, not only in your nickname! Congratulations, what a good news, two victories today. Enjoy!

deebath said:
Hello Guys,
I am new here!! Great board
I’m in same limbo for last 11 months. 2 time info pass same answer FBI NC is pending. I am thinking about filling WOM.
Just want to check if any of you guys have use following website for filing a writ.
www.my-n400.com

Thanks
Dee

File : Nov 2005
FP : Jan 15th 2006
Interview: March 15th 2006 (Passed but no oath date NC pending)
In my opinion, either get a professional immigration lawyer, or do it yourself Pro Se. Reading this thread from post #1 till the end it is long and sometimes not much fun, but you will learn a lot and it will cost you nothing. As somebody stated couple of posts ago, nobody will pay so much attention to your case than you will do. I don't want to fool you that it is easy, but many of the members of this forum did it successfully. So start reading and you will prevail: the law is on our side.

Hi to all in the forums, sorry but the job and the house takes all my time :eek: . I filed WOM Pro Se on Jan 9, and I served two days after . I took my New Year and the next day to do all the paper work but the court lady was very helpful. My mistake I went to Attorney General office and gave them only one copy but the next day I returned with the other two. I wish you luck to all of you in this boat ( i mean it cause I know how painful is this), I m very happy cause I m doing something to change this tough situation since 2003 waiting for Green Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
DUDE12190 said:
Dear Paz!
Thanks alot for this response. You see, you answered one of the many questions that were haunting my mind. That is a great thing about this forum. because all of us are in the same boat, we can learn from each other. I am preparing to file in next two months, therefore, I wanna get as much valuable information as possible. I just have a quick question for you Paz.
In this whole process of 1447b, if I am finling as a pro se, at any point, do I require to have a lawyer? I am asking this because I really have problem finding a lawyer and I do not believe that even a good lawyer can follow my case as I will. Thats why I am planning to file pro se? Please answer this important question: Does law require that I have to have a lawyer at any point in 1447b lawsuit if I am filing as a Pro se?? Thanks again paz. Please keep up the good work!!! dude

DUDE,
Can you check your PM? Also, we went to see this lawyer today..he didnt know anything about lawsuit..he recommended this other lawyer who also doesnt know anything..I guess imma havta call a few more ppl..wot r u up to??

whatsnamecheck said:
if one wires some money to their parents overseas, does that leave a record at the FBI and therefore impede one's name check?

If there is a "hit" in one's name check, then how does lawsuit expedite one's case? No judge in any court will order citizenship be granted when there is a hit in the name check, right?

The following is a NYTimes article on money wiring and collaboration between FBI and SWIFT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/23/w...15200&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=print
You are right, no judge will grant citizenship to somebody who has a pending name check. The purpose of these lawsuits is not to try to convince the judge to decide the matter without the name check completed; you want to ask the judge to order your defendants FBI and USCIS to complete the name check in XX days and adjudicate your application in YY days after the name check is finished. Theoretically, the judge can order FBI to complete the name check and with the USCIS expertise review the results and if this was the only outstanding issue with your application, conduct a hearing and decide the matter in court. But this is very rare, the realistic expectation is that the judge will remand the matter to USCIS instructing FBI and USCIS as above.

Wiring overseas money to relatives... This is an interesting question. I never thought about this as a possible cause of getting stuck in the name check process. I also did couple of times, also to my parents. I think that here we can only speculate and I don't like that. In my opinion, there is no reliable information about this and you can understand to certain extent why.

But you should not understand that having a positive "hit" in the initial phase of your name check means that they really have some derogatory info about you which would make you ineligible to receive the sought immigration benefit. As the overhelming number of cases demonstrated, these positive initial "hits" where proven being false, because ultimately people got cleared and they received their benefits.

micahel1008 said:
All AUSA will go to USCIS General Console Office request name check expedite, nothing to do with which center. It is just my guess. I am in NSC, which is the worst one, I guess
From the discussion I had with the AUSA assigned to my case, this is correct. The expedited request was initiated by the DHS/USCIS General Counsel Office.

Comfused said:

What is the Docket call?

Hello Comfused,
It is quite interesting your experience with the judge. I'm afraid that more and more of us will face similar things, so this adds to the value of your report.

My reading of your hearing is the following:
AUSA clearly doesn't want to go back again in front of the judge. It was clear that the judge is not necessary siding with the government, otherways you would be "out" long time ago. He really wanted to give them one last chance to finish your case, before he rules agains them. And my prediction is that this will happen in the next two months.

But you should not relay on this possibility. You should prepare continuously like you would have to continue your fight.

I don't know about 2 and 3, but under 1. you can ask all kind of documents to produce in the discovery. E.g., your alien file, the information what FBI stores about you what produced a "hit" during the initial part of the name check and probably several other things. I didn't reach yet the point with my studies to be able to answer more competently your question, maybe somebody else can answer it better.

So far we were learning and teaching each other how to prepare a complaint, how to file it, how to serve the summonses, etc. After that we had to learn how to prepare an Opposition to Defendants Motion to Dismiss or remand.
I guess, that we will need to educate ourselves and each other how to continue the fight, i.e., how to prepare for a hearing, discovery, pre-trial conference, and so one... Well, this will take time, but we will have to do it.