Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

sandiego_2004 said:
Hi, Everyone.

I filed WOM for my 485 AOS on 11/28/2006. After that, I was trying to call US Attorney office. However, The lady who picked up the phone always told me that I should wait for their response within 60 days.

I remember that a lot of posts in this thread mentioned that they had chance to talk with AUSA before the deadline. What should I do at this stage. Thanks a lot.

BTW, I am in San Diego District. It seems AUSA in San Diego started to fight back. I saw some motions filed by AUSA. They were from same template. One major reason is that foreigner can not establish venue. So have to follow defendant's venue. but defendants are living in Washington DC. So San Diego is not the right venue...
Unfortunately, you can't do much. I don't think that there is any rule or regulation which states that AUSA MUST talk to you before the answer to your complaint is due, so if they refuse categorically to talk to you, there is no way to force them.

And you are right, I saw a couple of AOS cases posted on this forum, filed WOM in San Diego and the defendants' answer was arguing about the inappropriate venue. However, I don't know what was the outcome of these cases. You should research these cases on PACER.

paz1960 said:
Unfortunately, you can't do much. I don't think that there is any rule or regulation which states that AUSA MUST talk to you before the answer to your complaint is due, so if they refuse categorically to talk to you, there is no way to force them.

And you are right, I saw a couple of AOS cases posted on this forum, filed WOM in San Diego and the defendants' answer was arguing about the inappropriate venue. However, I don't know what was the outcome of these cases. You should research these cases on PACER.

Thanks for your reply. It seems this new trend started since 10/2006. I have not seen any recent results after this yet on PACER.

I may relocate to Bay Area in one or two months. Do you know if my case was not settled at that time, Can I still keep my case in San Diego, or must I change venue to bay area.

Thanks.

sandiego_2004 said:
Thanks for your reply. It seems this new trend started since 10/2006. I have not seen any recent results after this yet on PACER.

I may relocate to Bay Area in one or two months. Do you know if my case was not settled at that time, Can I still keep my case in San Diego, or must I change venue to bay area.

Thanks.
I don't know the local rules, but I saw cases, which were transferred from the district where they were filed originally, to the district where Plaintiff moved so it is certainly a possibility to move your case from San Diego to the Bay Area if you relocate before your lawsuit is solved. And considering the unfriendly AUSA in the San Diego district, maybe it is not a bad idea...

Thinking a little more about your question, I believe that you SHOULD move your case if you relocate. Here is what I found on a web site about the change of address (for immigration purposes):

It is a misdemeanor crime of willfully fail to provide the USCIS with a written notice of address change (Form AR-11) within 10 days after remaining in the United States for 30 days or more. Individuals being convicted, including the parent or the legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice, can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days or a combination of both. Individuals may also be deported the United States, ref. INA § 266(b). The United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) run a “Special Registration” program where individuals from certain countries go through additional security steps to confirm their change of address while in the United States.

This means that you will need to announce USCIS about your change of address, if you don't want to break the law and risk serious consequences. Now because they are one of your defendants, their counsel can get an update about your new address and can move the court to dismiss your lawsuit because lack of jurisdiction (if you didn't move your case in the district where is your new residence). I don't know about other possible consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
paz1960 said:
I don't know the local rules, but I saw cases, which were transferred from the district where they were filed originally, to the district where Plaintiff moved so it is certainly a possibility to move your case from San Diego to the Bay Area if you relocate before your lawsuit is solved. And considering the unfriendly AUSA in the San Diego district, maybe it is not a bad idea...

Thinking a little more about your question, I believe that you SHOULD move your case if you relocate. Here is what I found on a web site about the change of address (for immigration purposes):

It is a misdemeanor crime of willfully fail to provide the USCIS with a written notice of address change (Form AR-11) within 10 days after remaining in the United States for 30 days or more. Individuals being convicted, including the parent or the legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice, can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days or a combination of both. Individuals may also be deported the United States, ref. INA § 266(b). The United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) run a “Special Registration” program where individuals from certain countries go through additional security steps to confirm their change of address while in the United States.

This means that you will need to announce USCIS about your change of address, if you don't want to break the law and risk serious consequences. Now because they are one of your defendants, their counsel can get an update about your new address and can move the court to dismiss your lawsuit because lack of jurisdiction (if you didn't move your case in the district where is your new residence). I don't know about other possible consequences.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I have another follow-up question:

I filed WOM with my wife together. Both of us are plaintiffs. If just I relocate to Bay area in the next 1~2 months for the new job, wife will stay in San Diego for a while. She will still live in the old address for a while. Is this counted as "changing address". Is that OK for us to continue the case here since one of the plaintiffs will still stay in the old address.

Regarding the venue change, I thought since when I filed I was living in San Diego, so even I moved, I will still file AR11, however, I can still argu that San Diego is the right venue. I thought there should be some "cutoff date" for determing the venue.

sandiego_2004 said:

I filed WOM with my wife together. Both of us are plaintiffs. If just I relocate to Bay area in the next 1~2 months for the new job, wife will stay in San Diego for a while. She will still live in the old address for a while. Is this counted as "changing address". Is that OK for us to continue the case here since one of the plaintiffs will still stay in the old address.

Regarding the venue change, I thought since when I filed I was living in San Diego, so even I moved, I will still file AR11, however, I can still argu that San Diego is the right venue. I thought there should be some "cutoff date" for determing the venue.
In one of the San Diego filed WOM cases (also husband and wife) AUSA argued rather convincingly (at least the case law was convincing) that a Pro Se Plaintiff can represent only himself, not his spouse also. That particular couple later hired a lawyer, who could represent two plaintiffs, so I don't know, how the judge would rule on the AUSA's motion to drop wife from the lawsuit. In some other districts, members of this forum reported that they were not challenged on this basis (i.e., spouses both Pro Se Plaintiffs on the same complaint).

About transferring or not your case after moving, I can't add anything else to what I said before. I simply don't know enough to answer your question.

SanDiego2004:

I also live in San diego county. I saw WOM for 485 on pacer. and AUSA did fight back with improper venue, and the plaintiff get name check cleared nontheless. they hired a lawyer though. I forgot the case # and their names, but you can search Michael Chertoff in southern ca. district pacer.

good luck
Sky

sandiego_2004 said:

Thanks.

Question on summon - N. California

I am preparing my papers for 1447b. Upon reading the thread, I get the message that the court sends out summons with case number after complaint is filed.

But I see the following summons pdf link for the N. district of Cal and I am not sure what to do with it if court send out summons. Do I need to fill out the following form and send it to the court for each defendant or I have to do nothing to get a summon automatically from the court? Please help me out. thanks!

Civil Summons - AO 440
summons

case update again

paz1960. any update on your 2nd fingerprint?

there is one more update today on my case after the 2nd fingerprint. but still just change of the "latest update date" and no change of the notice at all. anyway cross my fingers and hope the good news will come soon.

huxf said:
paz1960. any update on your 2nd fingerprint?

there is one more update today on my case after the 2nd fingerprint. but still just change of the "latest update date" and no change of the notice at all. anyway cross my fingers and hope the good news will come soon.

Nothing new, still the original Nov. 2004 date.

pretrial conference?

Hello everyone,

I am set to appear for the pretrial conference tomorrow. Someone has told me that it's most likely just 10-15 minutes during which time the AUSA will request for an extention.

But is there anything that I need to prepare other than brinnging all relevant documents? Do I need to prepare a "speech" to the judge to let him know the situation?

Also, since I filed the lawsuit (for I-485), my case has been transfereed to the local office (but not my spouse's). I am not sure if this has anything to do with the lawsuit, but do I need to mention this to the court and what else should I say?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

current situation of my case

I filed my "oppostion to motion to dismiss" today and will see what judge's decision. At the beginning of my WOM, the judge had an order for "Conference and diclosure of interested parties" on Jan. 19th. Did someone know what it is? I hope the case will not be dismissed before the conference.

My I485 application case updated in USCIS website every day (USCIS work day) since my 2nd FP on 12/27, but no any new information. I know my background check is still pending.

Hello forum users,
I would like to share some of my experience with my law suit under 1447b. I have filed my case back at the end of October, so defendants answer was due. Today I have received an answer to my complaint which stated that: "defendants admit the allegations in Paragraph Two; however, defendants deny that plaintiff passed the examination for naturalization." Therefore, "The court should dismiss the complaint under Fed. R. Civ. P. 12(b)(6) because plaintiff fail to state a claim upon relief may be granted."
This is not a request for an extention in my understanding, right?
I am really discouraged at this point, dissapointed, and totaly frastrated and don't even know what to do.
Does this mean that there is something wrong with my name check and why they just didn't ask for an extention?
Any advice, help, and ideas on what to do next would be highly appreciated.
Thank you all.

Olegb;
Read previous posts, what happened to you is a rotinue way for the USA to handle this situation, you should file a response stating why do you think you passed teh exam, you need to read this forum in whole really to understand how things go, you will probably stumble across a response sample somewhere, or, you might get a better answer by paz soon.
Good luck.

olegb said:
Hello forum users,
I would like to share some of my experience with my law suit under 1447b. I have filed my case back at the end of October, so defendants answer was due. Today I have received an answer to my complaint which stated that: "defendants admit the allegations in Paragraph Two; however, defendants deny that plaintiff passed the examination for naturalization." Therefore, "The court should dismiss the complaint under Fed. R. Civ. P. 12(b)(6) because plaintiff fail to state a claim upon relief may be granted."
I am really discouraged at this point, dissapointed, and totaly frastrated and don't even know what to do.
Does this mean that there is something wrong with my name check and why they just didn't ask for an extention?
Thank you all.

olegb said:
Hello forum users,
Thank you all.

This is very common practice by US attorney. Draft one nice convincing motion to dismiss response and file it. I do not have that with me but I saw one case where attorney response to motion to dismiss with whole process how USCIS goes through N-400 adjudication process and according to that they call interview as examination.

Case Update

Since my last posting, i was called for second interview as i had noted. The second int was held with 2 usics personnel and cameras (apparently they are recorded). They asked me around 40 questions all the way from how i came to the US till the time i got my GC and then over the N-400 app.
After the hour long second interview they informed me that they will let me know in a few weeks.
Well as soon as i walked out of the building, i got a call from the agent who inteviewed me, she said, that she was going to approve my app for Oath, but since my fingerprints had expired she will need to send me for another one and only after that she could do the necessary.
I had my FP today? Lets see if the oath letter comes soon (not sure)...
Does anyone know how long does it take for the FP to get back to the district office?

Filed my 1447(b) :)

aka808 said:
Since my last posting, i was called for second interview as i had noted. The second int was held with 2 usics personnel and cameras (apparently they are recorded). They asked me around 40 questions all the way from how i came to the US till the time i got my GC and then over the N-400 app.
After the hour long second interview they informed me that they will let me know in a few weeks.
Well as soon as i walked out of the building, i got a call from the agent who inteviewed me, she said, that she was going to approve my app for Oath, but since my fingerprints had expired she will need to send me for another one and only after that she could do the necessary.
I had my FP today? Lets see if the oath letter comes soon (not sure)...
Does anyone know how long does it take for the FP to get back to the district office?

Well, I filed my papers today...As promised, I will write a very detailed post alluding to all the steps (and even the very small things that should make it easier for others to file their 1447(b)) after my case is over. I definitely want to give back to this forum as much as it has given me, which so far has been satisfying, just to know that the lawsuit is filed and I shall know within the next 60-90 days what will happen to my case...

aka808, congratulatiopns...seems your case is moving along...my case is being sent to Judge Batts, any ideas? and after filing your complaint and sending out your notices, how long did it take before you contacted the US Attorney and what was your experience?...

wenlock said:
If you are out side the country you are not eligible for Writ of Mandamus. Court does not have jurisdiction on the area where you live. In some rare cases when USCIS really mess things up and delay is way unreasonable you can attempt WOM for consular processing but it is very rare you need very knowledgeable attorney who can convince judge.

Secondly I believe if you are deported you need i-601 waiver that is pure discretionary. If you look at the language of the law it clearly say that Attorney General is not mandate to act on application in any certain timetable it is purely based on Adjudicator decision and he can take as long as it takes.

If you are in that situation talk to this lawyer www.visacentral.net Laural Scott she is really good at waivers. She charge good money but have very good success rate also she wrote many advisories for AILF.
Wenlock, Thanks for the feedback. My wife and kids are still living in the US. My paper work is still bouncing back and forth between NVC, NBC and FBI. I thought this does count, is it not?!!

The wavier form is I-212 (Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the U.S. After Deportation or Removal) which is what we have already filed along with the I-824 (Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition).

sandiego_2004 said:

Hello sandiego_2004,

I found something, which may be relevant to your case, reading in my favorite source of information: The Northern California District Pro Se Handbook:

"The purpose of including the addresses and telephone numbers is to ensure that the court and the defendants have a way to contact you. Under Civil Local Rule 3-11, you have a duty to promptly notify the court and all opposing parties if your address changes while your lawsuit is pending. If the court sends you mail and it is returned as undeliverable, and the court does not receive a written communication from you within 60 days with your correct, current address, the court may dismiss your case."

SanJoseCA said:
I'm planning to file a "PETITION FOR HEARING ON NATURALIZATION APPLICATION". My citizenship application has been pending on name check since interview in June 2006. I have been living in San Jose area but recently moved to Oakland area. Should I file at Oakland or San Jose court in the northern district of California?
Here is what your district's Pro Se handbook says about the venue:

"How do I determine the division of the court to which my lawsuit should be assigned?

This district has courts in three locations or “divisions”: San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose. Civil Local Rule 3-4(b) requires a complaint to include a paragraph entitled “Intradistrict Assignment,” which must identify any basis for assigning the case to a particular location or division of the Court.
Civil Local Rule 3-2(c) explains that the location or division of the Court to which each new lawsuit should be assigned is usually determined by the county in which the lawsuit arose.
A civil lawsuit arises where:
A substantial portion of the events that gave rise to the lawsuit occurred, or
Where a substantial part of the property that is the subject of the lawsuit is located.
If the lawsuit arose in Alameda, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo or Sonoma counties, the lawsuit usually will be assigned to the San Francisco or Oakland Divisions of the Court. If the lawsuit arose in Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, San Benito or Monterey counties, it usually will be assigned to the San Jose Division of the Court.
A different rule applies to patent infringement actions, securities class actions, capital and noncapital prisoner petitions, and prisoner civil rights actions. Those lawsuits are assigned randomly to one of the three divisions of the Court."

Because 1447(b) specifically states that you should file your complaint in the district where you reside, you should use the above list and figure out that your PRESENT address is in which county and choose the division accordingly.

olegb said:
Hello forum users,
Thank you all.
Hello olegb,
As several members already stated, the answer filed by the Defendants is quite usual. They challenge the definition of the term "examination" and they try to interpret it in a broader sense, like the Government did successfully in Danilov v. Aguirre, i.e., examination is not only your interview, but contains also the background check. Because the background check is not done yet, the examination is not complete, so the 120 day clock didn't even start, so you are not entitled to file a lawsuit. However, even following this reasoning, I am surprised why are they referring to FRCP 12(b)6, i.e., plaintiff fail to state a claim upon relief may be granted. More adequate would be to challenge the subject matter jurisdiction, which would be FRCP 12(b)1.

Anyway, most of the courts didn't buy this Danilov argument, i.e., they interpret the examination=interview and without including the background check, so they assume jurisdiction in such cases. The problem is what comes after this. 1447(b) provides two actions for the court to chose from: 1. to determine the matter, or 2. to remand the matter to the Service, with appropriate instructions. Because courts are not equipped to perform background checks, and in a November 26, 1997 Appropriations Act for the Department of Justice and other federal departments and agencies, Congress mandated that:
“During fiscal year 1998 and each fiscal year thereafter, none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available to the Immigration and Naturalization Service shall be used to complete adjudication of an application for naturalization unless the Immigration and Naturalization Service has received confirmation from the Federal Bureau of Investigation that a full criminal background check has been completed.” Pub.L. No. 105-119, Title I, 111 Stat. 2440, 2448-49 (1997).
No judge in this country will approve a naturalization application without this background check completed. These cases will be invariantly remanded to USCIS. Plaintiff will need to make all the efforts to convince the judge to include in the remand order "appropriate instructions", i.e., a strict timetable to complete the background check and after that to adjudicate the application.

Returning to your particular case: defendants had to file something by the 60 day deadline. This could be a motion or the answer to your complaint. There is a big difference between an answer or a motion to dismiss (which is the other typical document AUSA files in many such cases).

Here is what says about this the Northern California District Pro Se handbook (I posted this already couple of times):

Once the answer is filed, does the plaintiff have to file a response to it?

There is no such thing under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure as a “Response to an Answer.” Even if you strongly disagree with the statements in the answer, there is no need to file a response. Under Rule 8(d) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, all statements in an
answer are automatically denied by the other parties to the lawsuit.

Actually I saw a case in the Western District of Washington (Aslam v. Gonzales) where Plaintiff filed a Memorandum in Response to Defendants Answer. The judge ordered:

"The Court is in receipt of Plaintiff’s Memorandum in Response to Defendants’ Answer (Dkt. No. 8). Plaintiff is advised that Defendants have not filed a motion against him and no motion is currently pending in this case. For this reason, the Plaintiff’s memorandum is STRICKEN from the record. Plaintiff is further advised that any motion filed and any Response filed to a motion must be in conformance with the provisions of Local Rule 7."

Later, Defendants filed a Motion to Dismiss and Plaintiff was able to recycle his Memorandum and re-use in Opposing this Motion. Last time I checked, this case was still not closed, so for privacy reasons, I didn't want to post any documents related to this case. But study this case, I believe that Plaintiff covered well all the relevant issues and you can use his Opposition as a model to write one if you will need to.