Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

proof of service

hi, all:

i have some questions regarding proof of service:

1. does it need to be a legal form AO88? or can it be a piece of letter show all need to be showed as pro-se package stated.
2. do i need to file it in person to court or i can mail it, if mail it does anything need to go along w/ it?

thanks so much in advance.

pearlgal

pearlgal said:
hi, all:

i have some questions regarding proof of service:

1. does it need to be a legal form AO88? or can it be a piece of letter show all need to be showed as pro-se package stated.
2. do i need to file it in person to court or i can mail it, if mail it does anything need to go along w/ it?

thanks so much in advance.

pearlgal
See page 434, post # 6505

santa4u said:
I found these links....
are these enough for filing the WOM - Pro Se package,

Instructions on how to file:
http://www.mdd.uscourts.gov/publications/forms/proseinstructions.pdf

Complaint Form - is this right?
http://www.mdd.uscourts.gov/publications/forms/complain.pdf

Looks one just needs to fill up 3 paragraphs/pages - pretty much and done!
-----------------
PD: Aug 02 (EB2/India/TSC)
485 ND: Sep 05
485 AD: ???
There is a Pro Se Handbook on the Northern District of California District Court web site which contains a lot more details than the one at the link you provided. It was posted at least twice on this forum. Here is the link:
http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/CAND/FAQ.nsf/60126b66e42d004888256d4e007bce29/14de5a2dfcdaa08c88256ebc0054574f/$FILE/ProSeHandbook-Rev4-06a.pdf

Hello everyone and thank god for this forum..........so much help

Well here is my case information:

N-400 Priority Date: 07/10/2004
Fingerprint: 09/13/2004
Interview: 12/14/2004
Lawsuit: 08/01/2006 USDC Eastern FL/ Florida
Oath???

My Attorney filed the case on 8/1/2006 and on 10/1/2006 the AO asked us for a 30 day extension but my lawyer refused to extend the time, so on 10/7/2006 we the state's AO had filed a motion to dismiss my case then my lawyer filed an answer opposing their motion on 10/18/2006.

Why did my lawyer refuse to give them a 30 day extension? And why did they file a motion to dismiss?
Now the lawyer said that it is up to the judge.

I am very confused and don't know what to think?
How long would it take before the judge takes a look at my case?

I would highly appreciate all the help I can get since it seems that my lawyer is really really busy and it is hard to get a hold of him.

AUSA ignoring a case?

Guys, I am from Las Vegas, I have been looking on pacer for 1447(b) cases, and only found my case, and another case, so, I called up teh guy who filed the only other 1447 before me in order to learn from his experience. He told me that the AUSA (the same one as mine) totally refused to communicae with him after the initial contact (4 months ago), I just found this to be odd, and wanted you to look at the case # 2:06-cv-00567-KJD-GWF in Nevada.
Sorry, I don't know how to attach files to this message.

hayyyoot said:
Guys, I am from Las Vegas, I have been looking on pacer for 1447(b) cases, and only found my case, and another case, so, I called up teh guy who filed the only other 1447 before me in order to learn from his experience. He told me that the AUSA (the same one as mine) totally refused to communicae with him after the initial contact (4 months ago), I just found this to be odd, and wanted you to look at the case # 2:06-cv-00567-KJD-GWF in Nevada.
Sorry, I don't know how to attach files to this message.

Dear hayyyoot,
This is typically a situation where an amateur like me (and I assume that most of the other forum members) doesn't know the answer, because I didn't see on this forum reporting a similar scenario and I don't have any previous experience with lawsuits, like a lawyer has.

In my opinion, this strange situation could be the result of lack of precedence in your district court and nobody has a clear idea, what to do, how to handle such cases (including AUSA).

According to the court documents, AUSA informed verbally the Plaintiff that his background check is complete and USCIS is ready to adjudicate the case. Now if USCIS takes seriously 1447(b) they can't adjudicate this case, because as soon as the applicant filed his complaint, USCIS lost jurisdiction. It is still very strange that AUSA didn't file anything before the 60 days were up, and neither since. In my opinion this tells something about the professionalism (or lack of it) of the AUSA. Plaintiff should file a motion for default judgement. Although when the defendant is the United States, there is a special rule:

FRCP 55(e) Judgment Against the United States.
"No judgment by default shall be entered against the United States or an officer or agency thereof unless the claimant establishes a claim or right to relief by evidence satisfactory to the court."

This probably means that the judge still needs to look at the complaint and determine that the evidence is satisfactory to establish a right to relief (i.e., to adjudicate his case by the court).

Reading the complaint, I think that the "Civil Right Complaint pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 1983" is not the proper classification of this type of case. Also, albeight not important from the point of view of the main problem, Plaintiff is Pro Se but he still requested reasonable attorney's fee.

It seems to me strange that the AUSA totally refused to communicate with Plaintiff after the initial conversation 4 months ago. Because we don't know how that conversation did go, I think that we can't make assumptions why the communication between the parties broke down completely.

I would certainly ask my AUSA to talk to him/her preferably in person and offer my full cooperation, hinting that there are methods how to expedite this whole unfortunate name check process, which is the roadblock of these cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello guys a nned some help and i am lost here

i had my intreview about 130 days ago in Ny , but now i live in florida . i want to file my 1447B and have everything ready , i even called Ny office to transfere my case to florida. should i wait untill the my file is transfered to start my suite or just go and file.
please let me know guys what you think, i cant wait in this ordeal anymore
sincerly
As

Any advice please

Hello All
I got a letter from my congresswoman saying that my name check was completed by the FBI on August 15th,2006. And she sent me a copy of Michael Cannon email:

“A review of the FBI’s name check program database concerning John smith revealed that the request was received from USCIS on 7/15/2005. This submission was processed and completed by the FBI on 8/15/2006. The results were forwarded to the USCIS headquarters, Washington, D.C”

My question
1- Is have anyone got this from his/her congresswoman/ congressman?
2- What should I understand from this letter?
When your confuse everything looks weird to you

I thank you all in advance… and i wish the best to all of us ..

Mr LA said:
Hello All
I got a letter from my congresswoman saying that my name check was completed by the FBI on August 15th,2006. And she sent me a copy of Michael Cannon email:

“A review of the FBI’s name check program database concerning John smith revealed that the request was received from USCIS on 7/15/2005. This submission was processed and completed by the FBI on 8/15/2006. The results were forwarded to the USCIS headquarters, Washington, D.C”

My question

Hello Mr. LA,
This is a positive step. I read couple of similar things happened with other people ie name check had completed and they found out about it when they did infopass and the IO sent them in for an officer and had the application approved. If you have a 1446b in progress maybe your attorney or AUSA may know more or find out.

mredil24 said:
i had my intreview about 130 days ago in Ny , but now i live in florida . i want to file my 1447B and have everything ready , i even called Ny office to transfere my case to florida. should i wait untill the my file is transfered to start my suite or just go and file.
please let me know guys what you think, i cant wait in this ordeal anymore
sincerly
As
I assume that you informed USCIS (filing an AR-11, Change of Address) about moving to Florida. In my opinion, the statue is clear where you have to file your complaint, doesn't give you a choice (milena, a member of this forum, has a different opinion about this issue, consider that too, and make your choice):

8 U.S.C. 1447(b) Request for hearing before district court
If there is a failure to make a determination under section 1446 of this title before the end of the 120-day period after the date on which the examination is conducted under such section, the applicant may apply to the United States district court for the district in which the applicant resides for a hearing on the matter. Such court has jurisdiction over the matter and may either determine the matter or remand the matter, with appropriate instructions, to the Service to determine the matter. (emphasis added)

I would not wait till my case is transferred from NY to Fla. I would go ahead and file my complaint. It is AUSA's problem to get all the relevant documents to answer the complaint. But I would try to find out ASAP who was assigned to my case and warn him/her that the file might be still in NY.

Mr LA said:
Hello All

My question

Hello Mr. LA,
Unfortunately, your timeline disappeared from your signature, and I'm not sure that I remember correctly all the details of your case. But assuming that the Defendants filed a motion to dismiss or remand with the main argument that your case can't be adjudicated till the name check is not completed, I would contact AUSA and inform her/him about the e-mail I received from my congresswoman. Looks that you cleared THE major roadblock, the name check. You still don't know, what this name check result contains, and most likely USCIS will not be so gracious to share this info with you. But assuming that you were cleared (i.e., no issues, which require further investigations), it should be relatively easy to jointly agree in some deadline till USCIS must adjudicate your case. At this point the main contact person for you should be AUSA.

paz1960 said:
I assume that you informed USCIS (filing an AR-11, Change of Address) about moving to Florida. In my opinion, the statue is clear where you have to file your complaint, doesn't give you a choice (milena, a member of this forum has a different opinion about this issue, consider that too, and make your choice):

8 U.S.C. 1447(b) Request for hearing before district court
If there is a failure to make a determination under section 1446 of this title before the end of the 120-day period after the date on which the examination is conducted under such section, the applicant may apply to the United States district court for the district in which the applicant resides for a hearing on the matter. Such court has jurisdiction over the matter and may either determine the matter or remand the matter, with appropriate instructions, to the Service to determine the matter. (emphasis added)

I would not wait till my case is transferred from NY to Fla. I would go ahead and file my complaint. It is AUSA's problem to get all the relevant documents to answer the complaint. But I would try to find out ASAP who was assigned to my case and warn him/her that the file might be still in NY.

thanks PAZ i will do so , i will just go ahead and file my suite on monday
i did all the requirements to cover my ass i call them in Ny and told them to change my address and i also have an email from the INS officer that i had the interview with that he is going to transfere my case.
i guess i am ready to fight with this monster and i am sure the fight wont be as easy as it seams but i am sure the system work. i need this citizenship realy bad coz i have a job with the governement and its the key for me to nail it.

Mr. LA:

I think it is a good thing for you. I got response from my senator's office stated my name check is completed on xx/xx/xx. I faxed the letter to my attorney anyway last week, although he told me that it might not be useful. This week, I got the oath letter from USCIS. I don't know if it is the letter or it is just happen that my NC cleraed this week. I think you can forward it to your attorney. You will not lose anything at all.

Jack

Mr LA said:
Hello All

My question

Mr LA said:
Hello All

My question

Dear Mr. LA,

I recieved the similiar letter about one month ago directly from Michael Cannon as follows,
" A review of FBI's name check program database revealed that your request was recieved from the USCIS on 01/22/05. This submission was processed and finalized on 09/14/06. XXX(my spouse)'s request was also recieved from the USCIS on 01/22/05, and was processed and finalized on 09/15/06. In each case, the results were forwarded to the USCIS headquarters, Washington, D.C."

So your letter is really good sign and this tells you your name check should be completed on 08/15/06. If now still no any progress, should be some mistakes happened for your case in USCIS(most likely). You should tell your AUSA about this right now and also fax a copy of this letter to him/her. I feel sorry to know USCIS made the weird mistake to you (I heard this happened before) and dragged you that long.

Anyway, I pretty make sure you will hear your good news soon.

Best wishes and good luck!

:)

Finally

Yes, finally I decided to sue them :mad: . Publicus is my hero. I hope to get his strength to fight and get this dilemma resolved. I will be counting off

Please pray for me.

Good luck HopeN400, go for it. We are a team and will help each others and always remember in our prayers.
Thank you.

HopeN400 said:
Yes, finally I decided to sue them :mad: . Publicus is my hero. I hope to get his strength to fight and get this dilemma resolved. I will be counting off

Please pray for me.

How do you remove your attorney from your case so you can proceed Pro se?

How do you remove your attorney from your case so you can proceed Pro se?

I have a problem with my attorney. He is very irresponsible. Since he has been paid in full and upfront, he does not care about my case and he actually fired me last week for pressuring him to file a motion for the last 2 months to do his job and file a motion which he agreed to do. I was not aware that the attorneys could fire their clients!

Does anyone know a quick procedural way for me notifying the court that, that he is no longer my attorney (without having his signature on it) so I can proceed pro se in my case. If I wait for him to file a a withdrawal, it could take months and the judge could make a ruling on my case by then (since my 1447(b) case is ripe for adjudication).

Can I, by myself, file a motion and ask the court to withdraw the attorney of record from my case without having my attorney's signature on it?

Please advise, thank you kindly!

Question for everyone who has filed the lawsuit - please help!

I filed mine on 10/16/06, just received a letter
from court today - 11/10/06 - notice of electronic filing: Order: stating the case is valid, petition is granted and "defendants to file show cause statement on or before 11/27/06 and show case hearing on 12/12/06"!!!!!! Now - is this too fast?
Do I have to serve defendants - I named Chertoff,
Gonzalez, etc. - I do not even know where to send! - and only 2 weeks left? Of they will be informed by other means? What do I need to do?
This is just a letter,

Please help guys - before it was too slow, now
it is kinda too speedy?
Thanks alot,

L

valerit1 said:
I filed mine on 10/16/06, just received a letter
from court today - 11/10/06 - notice of electronic filing: Order: stating the case is valid, petition is granted and "defendants to file show cause statement on or before 11/27/06 and show case hearing on 12/12/06"!!!!!! Now - is this too fast?
Do I have to serve defendants - I named Chertoff,
Gonzalez, etc. - I do not even know where to send! - and only 2 weeks left? Of they will be informed by other means? What do I need to do?
This is just a letter,

Please help guys - before it was too slow, now
it is kinda too speedy?
Thanks alot,

L

Hello valerit1,

I saw a case (I believe in the Western Washington district, but I may be wrong), where AUSA asked for a 30 days extension, arguing that Plaintiff served him with the order to show cause just one day before the due date. Plaintiff just called AUSA to find out some details or news about his case, that time AUSA found out about the judge's order to show cause. From this case I would think that you need to serve AUSA with a copy of the Order to show cause ASAP. Even if the court sent AUSA a copy of this order, just to be on the safe side, I would send a copy to AUSA with certified mail, return receipt requested. (or deliver them in person, if you are in the same town).

Besides this, I don't believe that you have to do anything (except prepare yourself for the next step).