Anyone waiting for background checks?

anismo

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I just wanted to find out if any of you are waiting for fingerprint, namechecks? I have stayed in US (F1 and then H1) for 5 years..and
when I went to the chennai consulate on dec 14 for H1 extension,
they kept my passport, fees and papers for some additional admin processing. also, I had to pay 85$ for fingerprint.. I am just waiting
on that so far and it is already 5 weeks.. luckily my company is
taking it coolly.. so far..

Here is the object of this post.
1. Is this check becoming common (read in this forum that they have added lot of names to the CLASS database) ?

2. How many are waiting for similar checks to complete.? atleast we can get an idea as to what is the typical timeframe in the case of person sent for
a namecheck with no criminal history ( I am getting some answers like, it can take an year, 6 months.. but they seem to be unique cases..)

3. Any way to find the actual status of the namecheck (sent a mail to the fbi name check center.. no response so far) and possibly expedite this process?

Thanks for the response and Regards
Anis

Yes our interview was over 5 months ago and we did not get any repsonse for the background check. I don't know there is a way to expedite the process.

Heared some people are waiting for more than 2 -3 yrs. still nothing happened for them.

Before they had problem of backlog in INS. I think they are having it now with FBI !!! Another Bush should come to expedite this process / will this happen soon...... Who knows ?

Please don't get disappointed with the delays. I don't think everybody's will take years to get done.
Please don't put such comments, otherwise people waiting would be disappointed and the purpose of having this forum would be a waste.
I have seen another thread posted by fsheikh which shows that he got his visa in 9 weeks.
So hope for the best!!!
Thanks.

well said jags_kum!

The name checks are indeed taking about 9-10 weeks..
The FP check alone is done in 5-6 weeks .
you can find the status of FP check by calling fbi ph: 304-625-2000
I found that mine was cleared on the 14th of jan..and the file
is in Dept of state (they got it on feb 7th).. ph: 202-663-1225

Note that you might get voice mail and such.. but eventually you will
be able to talk to somebody..

Atleast getting some info on the case is getting some pressure off the waiting period.. just hope for the best and hangon :)

Anis

Hi Anis,

When did you have your interview? I had mine at Islamabad Embassy on Dec 6. They did not take my finger prints. Did they take yours ? I presume they did since you had your FP check done. However, I had my finger prints taken several times for special registration. Wondering if they use that...

Did you have any luck with the Dept. Of State number? Which agency within Dept. Of State did you contact?

Hope you all get it soon.

Cheers, Ali

Anis,

Sorry I didn't remember your first post. You had answered most of my questions there. My bad.

I just called Dept of State number, which options did you follow there to get to someone who will respond.

Cheers, Ali

Just got info from FBI Name Check Unit Chief Rene Morton. My name and info check was completed and submitted to her organization on 12/22/04. She wasn't very clear if it was completed or submitted. Does anyone know what the next steps are after that?

Ali,
My wife just waited for the operator to respond.. it takes a bit of time
but eventually you do get somebody to respond. That person told my wife that they had received my file on feb 7th..
cheers
Anis

Hi Vik,
Could you please let us know if you revisited the consulate or was the passport sent to your home with the visa stamped?
Thanks.

vik3001 had just fingerprint check.. and his passport was not retained by the consulate.. so he had to go back to get it stamped..

update on finger print check

I came to Ottawa Canada on jan 10th 2005 and ever since waiting for their call. Its been little over 5 weeks now. The consular who took my interview gave her number to inquire about the status. Now whenever i call her she gets pissed off, saying that i dont have time to call all my applicants , that would take my whole day...Well whatever she said does make sense but then whom should I call to find out about my file status...? What i do now , I call her everyday and leave a message that if my file is still in pending she doesnt need to call me back I would simply assume that my file is in pending state.
Again this is my 5th week going on....

re:

jags_kum,

my ppt was with me, went to the consulate again, go re-interviewed and submitted the passport. got the ppt by courier with the visa stamped the second day

Is this back ground check applicable to everybody? Even for H4 candidates?

anismo, you mentioned forum has info about CLASS database? Could you please mention thread link?

Additional Admin procesing

Hi,

I am stuck in the same situation like you. I came to india for my extention of H1b visa for next 3 years and they told me that they need security clearance for me. i gave fingerprints on 4th jan 2006 and its today 6th march and i am still waiting for response from them. I don't know how much more time they are gonna take. Its already more than 8 weeks.

shshsar,

Like you said you are waiting from last 5 months ago and you still are waiting for the response. I have a couple of questions for you :-

1. Are you also waiting for the stamping for H1b in INDIA?
2. If yes, and If you call the embassy, what does they say?

Your reply would really help me as seeing 5 months waiting is really scarring me.

Hi anismo,

I did not see your posting after 18th feb, 2006. I am just wondering if you got clearance and got visa stamped. If yes, let us know how much total time it toook for you to get visa stamped. This would help us a lot and would give us hope that ours case also will be done soon.

Thanks,
Ravi