Anyone older then 26 - asked for Selective Service letter at the interview?

im50

Registered Users (C)
I was above age of 26 when I came to US. As I understand I was not required to register with Selective Service - due to the fact that I was not under age 26, and therefore I don't have to provide status information letter at the time of interview.

Is there anyone that was not required to register BUT was asked by IO to provide Status Information Letter from the Selective Service?

im50,

Go to www.sss.gov

Print and mail them the waiver forms with required evidence. They will send you a letter. Thats what many folks do, and keep the letter with you (just in case they ask)

im50,

Go to www.sss.gov

Print and mail them the waiver forms with required evidence. They will send you a letter. Thats what many folks do, and keep the letter with you (just in case they ask)

I'm concerned about privacy - and do not like to provide my personal info (SSN etc) to so many places and be in databases. That's way I was curious are there any examples that someone was asked to provide letter dispute being older than 26.

Is this a new trend that's showing up in N-400 applicants? I know that the under-26-when-arrived-in-USA crowd usually prepares for this stuff. But when someone entered US when they were OLDER? Not criticizing anyone - and I realize it is everyone's right to be fully prepared for the interview - but I think this is a result of excessive worrying... paranoia. Frankly, I don't believe anyone who entered the US when they were over 26 should even bother about this. I'm curious to hear about any such person being asked for this document.

Regards.

It is listed in the Interview letter and the officer has a right to ask for this info.
Just take it with you to be safe.

Regarding providing SSN to selective services, im50, your SSN is already with all kinds of immigration databases, just get the letter and be done with it.

My 2 cents. You can decide.

Regarding providing SSN to selective services, im50, your SSN is already with all kinds of immigration databases, just get the letter and be done with it.

I appreciate your input, but what for the military needs so much of information? They say that they will not use this info in any other way but can we trust them?
INS is entitled to have all of our info, and I don't have problem with that - but I'm not sure about military - especialy if we were not required to register anyway...

I appreciate your input, but what for the military needs so much of information? They say that they will not use this info in any other way but can we trust them?

I'm not too worried about the military; what are they going to do with your SSN, steal you identity and buy an F-22 on your credit card? :)

I do agree however, that you should not get an SSS waiver if you were over 25 when you got your GC. I got my GC at 32, and neither I nor my wife intend to get a waiver, since we obviously do not need one.

just becos u got GC when you were OVER 26, it does not mean you dont have to register

Ppl are not understanding this. Question is:

1. Were you in USA before the age of 26 in any status (legal or illegal)?
If so, proceed to 2, if not, get a letter to confirm you've never been here. send your evidence, get the letter - be done with it.

2. If you were in USA before 26, then LIST ALL the status you held - if at any point of time you were not in legal non-resident status, you need to have registered.

if you were ALWAYS in legal non-resident status, just get a letter from SSS to confirm.

Thats all!

If you were present in the US when you were younger than 26, it makes sense to get the letter. In fact you probably should, just to be safe. It does not matter when you got your GC. It just depends on what age you were PRESENT in the US.

However, if you first entered the US when you OVER 26, then it does NOT make any sense to get any letter of this sort. Also, female applicants need NEVER get this letter, regardless of their age. In these past few days, I have pinged several people that I know have been naturalized in the past one year, and not one had got this letter; none were asked about it during the interview. Most of them did not even know of this reqirement. That's not good though; one should always stay informed.

Having said all this, I guess we should use our best judgement and decide what to do. It never hurts to play it safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was above age of 26 when I came to US. As I understand I was not required to register with Selective Service - due to the fact that I was not under age 26, and therefore I don't have to provide status information letter at the time of interview.

Is there anyone that was not required to register BUT was asked by IO to provide Status Information Letter from the Selective Service?

If you got your GC after you were 26 years old, IO will not ask you since they know that non-immi visa holders were not required to register anyway. Ofcourse if you were here illegally, then you may have to get it but that illegal stay would hurt your citizenship besides SSS letter anyway ;)

One point that I came to know. A friend of mine applied for MBA program (after receiving citizenship) He applied for federal student loan. The school asked for letter from SSS with his status with them. It seems one of the Stafford loan requirements is SSS letter. He told them that he was not required to register but he could not apply for loan till he got the letter. He then applied for SSS letter after getting citizenship.

I also read that this letter may be needed for some federal govt jobs and similar situation. So if you have time, might as well apply and get the letter. It is very easy. All you need it filled form and photocopy of all the visa's that show date of entry.
Hope that helps

I came to USA on Fiance Visa when i was 26 yrs and 10 months old and got my green card when I was 29. Am i supposed to get that letter from selective services..Does anybody know how to get the letter from Selective services and what is that letter called. please advise as my interview is in 2nd week of march.

http://www.sss.gov
has the form, just fill it and send it with photocopy of visa, passport, h1-b or whatever evidence

Exactly what I did. I was never in the US until after my 26th birthday.
My interview letter states to bring evidence of selective service registration.
So I went ahead & requested the letter from SSS. Received the letter around 1 month after I sent the form, stating I was not required to register.

I figured it was better to go ahead & get the letter, even if the IO doesn't ask for it. Rather than risk having my case delayed.

My interview is in a few weeks, will let you know if I get asked for the letter.

I would just bring an old employment contract, should be evidence enough that I wasn't in the US, except perhaps on vacation.

I came to USA on Fiance Visa when i was 26 yrs and 10 months old and got my green card when I was 29. Am i supposed to get that letter from selective services..Does anybody know how to get the letter from Selective services and what is that letter called. please advise as my interview is in 2nd week of march.

No need for a letter.

Exactly what I did. I was never in the US until after my 26th birthday.
My interview letter states to bring evidence of selective service registration.
So I went ahead & requested the letter from SSS. Received the letter around 1 month after I sent the form, stating I was not required to register.

I figured it was better to go ahead & get the letter, even if the IO doesn't ask for it. Rather than risk having my case delayed.

My interview is in a few weeks, will let you know if I get asked for the letter.

Bigdave! Please let us know which website/page you accessed, the specific form/letter you used, what did you send as evidence that you were not in the US before you were 26, and where you sent it to. It will be a big help. Thanks.

Bigdave
what documents did you send along with the form.

i sent along copies of the following,

• cover letter
  • passport photo page
  • passport page showing k-1 visa
  • passport pages showing 2 entry stamps before i got my k-1

in the cover letter i stated i needed letter from SSS for my naturalization interview, showing that i was not required to register.