anyone here got GC through K1 visa?

I got my GC via the K-1 route. This was my timeline:-

15 Jul 2002: VSC receives I-129F
19 Aug 2002: VSC approves I-129F
03 Sep 2002: "Packet 3" received from Montreal US Consulate
05 Sep 2002: Montreal US Consulate receives completed "DS-230 Part1" and checklist
16 Sep 2002: Received interview date, Oct 16th, from the Montreal US Consulate
16 Oct 2002: Interviewed at the Montreal US Consulate. Visa not issued as the Consulate needs Police Certificate from Pakistan, contrary to what DSL-1083 states.
23 Oct 2002: Return to the Montreal US Consulate with a Police Certificate from Pakistan. K-1 visa issued.
21 Nov 2002: Entered the US with K-1
26 Nov 2002: AOS, AP and EAD applied for in Boston. AP issued same day.
15 Jan 2003: EAD issued by Boston
12 Mar 2003: Fingerprinted in Boston
16 Jul 2003: Interviewed for AOS by officer Robert D. Johnson in Boston
23 Jul 2003: Second AP applied for and issued by Boston
01 Aug 2003: Moved from Boston to Chicago
17 Oct 2003: Second EAD applied for via E-File
20 Dec 2003: Third AP applied for in Chicago
26 Dec 2003: Notice received that AOS was granted on Oct 15, 2003
29 Dec 2003: Received green card in the mail, forwarded from my Boston address to my Chicago address
22 Jul 2005: I-751 applied for at NSC
05 Oct 2005: I-751 approved by NSC
21 Jul 2006: N-400 applied for at NSC
21 Nov 2006: N-400 approved by Chicago DO

I also went through K-1 back in 2002. I basically followed the step-by-step instructions at the K1-FAQ at www.visajourney.com

Everything went without a hitch... Never got an RFE, and didn't get an I-751 interview.

-ML

K1 -> I-485 -> I-751 -> N-400

Now filing I-130/I-485 for parent.

thanks for the reply.

I believe one cannot open a bank account in the USA with out a Green Card? And if I am unable to, how do I have joint account with my partner? How do I buy property jointly with my partner? All these I need to proof that the marrage is legid

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reply.

How did you meet your partner?

how long did you know your partner before you decided to marry?

where were the questions the interviewer asked of you?

I worked for my husband's uncle. Husband visited the uncle and uncle asked me to show husband around since we were around the same age.

We married after around 2 years.

The only interview was in the US, during the I-485. Can't remember specifics, but we had almost no questions of real consequence. We were joking with the interviewing officer most of the time. We overwhelmed the officer with evidence during the I-129F app and I-485 app which is probably why our interview was more of a formality.

Current I-485 interview questions are often posted in the I-130/I-485 monthly threads, I suspect current K1/I-485 questions would be similar.

-ML

Now filing I-130/I-485 for parent...

thanks for the reply.

I believe one cannot open a bank account in the USA with out a Green Card? And if I am unable to, how do I have joint account with my partner? How do I buy property jointly with my partner? All these I need to proof that the marrage is legid

All K1 visa holders are eligible for a ssn upon entry.
It is advised to wait a minimum of 10 days following your entry to the States before you apply- the reason for this is that it takes a while for your details to be updated in the system, so to go before this date means that your details have to be entered manually and this delays the processing of your card and adds an extra wait before you recieve it. So to get your ssn, wait 10 days (I waited 17 days just to be on the safe side) then head to your local SSA with you K1 and valid I-94. It is also stated (somewhere- I dont know where though) that your I-94 needs to be valid for a minimum of 2 weeks- therefore you are eligible to apply up to 76 days upon entry- apply after that time and you will need to wait for EAD before you can apply).
Some SSAs are unaware that K1s are eligible for a SSN (usually the quieter ones that arent used to dealing with immigrants) therefore it is advisable to take this document along with you (refering to section C) https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500!opendocument
I was lucky that the closest SSA to my house was a busy one so I didnt need to show this document as they just went ahead and processed it (all I needed was my K1visa and I-94). The card that you recieve will say something along the lines of 'work authorised only with permission from DHS'- this means that if you did not get a work stamp upon entry to the US (through JFK for example) then you will need to wait until you recieve your EAD through AOS before you are able to work.
When you recieve your ssn (usually 2 weeks after application) then you can take this to the bank and open up an account.

Oh- and they need a recognised form of ID to get a ssn.....but obviously as your K1 visa is attached to your passport, then your passport will do ;)

thank you for all the replies.

It is much appriciated.

So once I have my K1, I can apply for my SSN and with this SSN I can immediately open a joint bank account with my faince, buy a joint property with my faince, pay bills together with faince etc. etc. And I will need to collect all these documents, to proof that the marrage is bonified?

if I have met up with my faince in person, to take photos and keep the photos.

also if I have communited with my faince through emails, I need to keep that as well for proof?

Is this how it goes?

thank you for all the replies.

It is much appriciated.

So once I have my K1, I can apply for my SSN and with this SSN I can immediately open a joint bank account with my faince, buy a joint property with my faince, pay bills together with faince etc. etc. And I will need to collect all these documents, to proof that the marrage is bonified?

if I have met up with my faince in person, to take photos and keep the photos.

also if I have communited with my faince through emails, I need to keep that as well for proof?

Is this how it goes?

You've pretty much got it. But you should realize you'll be proving evidence of a relationship for a long time:
- you have to show proof of relationship to get the K1
- you have to show proof of bona-fide marriage to get AOS
- you have to show proof of continued marriage to do I-751
- you have to show proof of continued marriage to do 3-year naturalization

So get in the habit of saving "everything", by the time all these apps were done, I had sent USCIS:
- over 50 pictures
- cards we sent to each other
- boarding passes of flights to visit each other prior to wedding
- phone logs (we used onesuite.com)
- engagement/wedding ring receipts
- boarding passes of trips together after wedding
- joint tax returns, joint lease agreements, joint bank accounts
- letters from neighbors who knew us
- ultrasound and then birth certificate of our daughter
- dvd of family trips

Ton's of paperwork, but for being with the right person, it's worth it.

-ML

Now filing I-130/I-485 for parent...

Just to add to ml_boston's excellent summary, for a K-1 visa, the couple has to prove that they both are free and willing to marry. Contrary to popular belief, there is no burden to prove that they are in love with each other :)

you have to show proof of relationship to get the K1