Anyone got Welcome letter or Plastic Card ?

Received the Plastic card

POE 3rd Aug at LA. Received the welcome letter on 26th Aug and received the Plastic card on 31st August for myself and family.

My wife and I received our Plastic cards and welcome letter on 8/31. Port of entry was 7/31. However, they have messed up my wife's name. Therefore it is difficult to apply for the social security card with the correct name. The rep. at SSA office said that she can only use the name on the PR card. How do I get her name changed. Any leads please.

paccha:

GC Correction: Best option is to contact the service center that issued the GC and have them correct and resend your wife's GC.

NEW SSN: Use your wife's passport & I-551 stamp to get a new SSN card issued.

kd,
I tried using my wife's passport and I-551. But the SSA rep checks the name against an entry in the computer which is entered by INS officals. That entry seems to have the same info as the card.
In the meantime I found about Form I-90 that may be used to replace PR cards.
Let us see where this leads

Name interchange on I-551

Hi KD and others,

Where does the name on the plastic card come from? I was issued an MRV (I-551) recently. The name on my MRV is interchanged (Surname & Given Name). The consulate folks don't seem to budge whatever I say. They think it is a minor thing that can be changed in the US.

So, what are my options now. Can I talk to the officilas at the POE? Or should I file a I-90 after receiving the card?

Hope you guys have some answer.

Thanks,
Rashmi

pachaiattai said:
kd,
I tried using my wife's passport and I-551. But the SSA rep checks the name against an entry in the computer which is entered by INS officals. That entry seems to have the same info as the card.
In the meantime I found about Form I-90 that may be used to replace PR cards.
Let us see where this leads

Paccha,
I and my wife have a similar kind of problem like my first name is divided in to First name and middle name, When I contacted the GC (1-800) number they asked to get a letter from the court house and then only the immigration dept will change the necessary, else they will not entertain, I have not yet started to chase with this court house stuff but I may need to do that, but that is not my priority now.

For SSN my wife already applied before the PC so the passport name was taken.

My advice would be to contact the 1-800 number provided in your welcome letter to get further clarified.

rashmi_rau said:
Hi KD and others,

Where does the name on the plastic card come from?

{{Mine came from CA, hope your also comes from the same place as I believe you are from CA.}}

I was issued an MRV (I-551) recently. The name on my MRV is interchanged (Surname & Given Name). The consulate folks don't seem to budge whatever I say. They think it is a minor thing that can be changed in the US.

So, what are my options now. Can I talk to the officilas at the POE?

{{Yes, that would be the good idea. You can show your passport and hence get it changed hence no further hassels.}}

Thanks,

rashmi_rau said:
Hi KD and others,

Where does the name on the plastic card come from? I was issued an MRV (I-551) recently. The name on my MRV is interchanged (Surname & Given Name). The consulate folks don't seem to budge whatever I say. They think it is a minor thing that can be changed in the US.

So, what are my options now. Can I talk to the officilas at the POE? Or should I file a I-90 after receiving the card?

Hope you guys have some answer.

Thanks,
Rashmi

Try emailing, Faxing, registered mail them, to see if they would give written response on your query and mention the same on paper.

At the POE, the officers seems to be OK in listening (at least the officer I had).

Guys:

Just wondering, is there any important information given in welcome letter ? Just wanted to know as I did not receive one. I got the card directly.

Thanks ...

have'nt seen it, but I think it contains the case no. for you physical GC file, which might not be of any use to you, now.

Victor3536 said:
Guys:

Just wondering, is there any important information given in welcome letter ?

{{ Yeah !!! you have missed the 1-800 number to reach them, the receipt date with the WAC-XXX number ,the A # printed on I-797 and more over the "WELCOME" word......take it easy victor }}}

Thanks ...

VM,

After going thru such hell of a process of GC, you just want to make sure that you're not missing our on something in the end. I think after going thru this GC process, I'm just being more cautious on everything ....

alren said:
does this 797 have any significance?

{{The welcome letter is given in the form of I-797 but I don't see any specific purpose of it after you get the Plastic card, it is just one more document of your GC processing}}}

I got two welcome letters and the card today. It was mailed from the Texas Service Center although, I fall under the Nebraska Center. Oh well, Who cares, I got my card!!!!!!

POE: Detroit, 07/26/04.

vm1214 said:
alren,
Did you get the Welcome letter as people after you are getting it ???
Finally got it yesterday (9/13) from Mesquite TX, with a SRC no. BTW it is from Dept. of Homeland Security. Mentions GC ordered on 9/9.