Anyone ever got a job overseas from US company ?

marlon2006

Registered Users (C)
Imagine I get my GC and I want to move for few years to my home country. I don't want to lose my GC.

Have you ever heard how realistic is to get jobs from American companies that would let me 'transfer' to my home country and work from there, thus holding my GC status active while I am abroad ?

I am aware that I can take a returning resident permit for up to 2 years, but I am wondering how realistically is to get a job from an US company to work abroad.

marlon2006 said:
I am aware that I can take a returning resident permit for up to 2 years, but I am wondering how realistically is to get a job from an US company to work abroad.

Quite possible. In last three years I have seen companies like Intel, Adobe, HP downsized their offices in bay area/Los Angels area and offered some of their Indian employees to start working in their new offices in India. Two of my friends are PR and they are working in India with re-entry permit.

It is quite possible. I know there are many companies that want people with US experience to work for them oversea. I am transferring to China for the next 2 years as well while still working for the same employer. But some companies may use either the expat method or a transfer relocation. I am wondering if there is any differences between these two types of relocation in terms of maintaining green cards. Any ideas from others?

When you file the document to stay abroad (I think N-470), does that mean that the time abroad will count for citizenship purposes ? Imagine you qualify for N-470, then you stay abroad for 5 years. Can you come back to the US and claim those 5 years abroad in order to apply for citizenship ?

There is hope for me then. I am from South America and let's hope American companies there will let me transfer.

igeta said:
It is quite possible. I know there are many companies that want people with US experience to work for them oversea. I am transferring to China for the next 2 years as well while still working for the same employer. But some companies may use either the expat method or a transfer relocation. I am wondering if there is any differences between these two types of relocation in terms of maintaining green cards. Any ideas from others?

I am on work visa, don't have GC yet - it is in process. My LC is pending at Dallas BEC. My company offered me Expat to Singapore. Plan is to return back after 2-3 years, by then hopefully we will have GC. Can anyone advise if it has any –ve impact on the GC process?

Our immigration attorney says YES, has anyone doing the same?. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Appreciate your help.

Project_A

Hi marlon,

The I131 is the reentry permit ( Application for travel document ): it preserves your GC if you choose to work outside the US for up to 2years.
However, the drawback is that you loose most of the time you already spent in the US towards citizenship ( N400 ) : if you were granted the GC 4years ago, and go abroad, then you wouldn't be eligible for citizenship next year ( if you cannot apply for N470 ). However there is a rule that says that part of the days spent abroad may count towards citizenship.

I131 instructions : "If you intend to apply in the future for naturalization,absences from the United States for one year or more will generally break the continuity of your requiredcontinuous residence in the United States. If youintend to remain outside the United States for one yearor more, you should file a Form N-470, Application toPreserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes."

The N470 is the Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization : '"Permanent residents who remain outside the United States for more than one uninterrupted year will disrupt theirnaturalization residence requirement, unless they are thebeneficiaries of an approved Form N-470."
"Please note that in most cases you must have been physicallypresent and residing in the United States for an uninterruptedperiod, without any absences whatsoever, for at least oneyear after your admission as a lawful permanent residentbefore you can file a Form N-470."

JoeF,
Thanks a lot.

I thought GC is for future employment but I don't know about the restrictions. I will be paid in US while working in Singapore and I will be doing the same job except that I am not physically here. I don’t know if this would cause any trouble.

Is it recommended to wait until 140 stage / 485 stage instead?.

I am on my 6th year of H1 so if I work outside for one year, I will be eligible to apply for next term on H1.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Project_A

your situation is not atypical and I have friends who have done that. You will need to work out with your immigration lawyer (if you are not comfortable with your company's immigration lawyer, get your own as well), and you will be able to preserve your time overseas. The company will need to present statements that a) your assignment overseas is temporary as there are clear milestones upon their completion you will return back to the states; b) you will continue to be paid by the US entity. Both of them should be fairly easy for your company to provide.

Moving back to one's home country is always a good opportunity from many point of view. Especially if your employer is able to offer an expat package.

I would go through all the steps and make sure you have your basis covered before jumping in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Qili, please STOP : don't you have anything better to do ?! All you do is criticize JoeF.

JoeF is at least trying to help, and you are not. So unless you can give some real advice, or ask a relevant question, you shouldn't post anything.

Last edited by a moderator: