Anyone also apply for Canadian PR as well?

Does anyone know what happens to the already submitted canadian PR application if your status in the US changes from H1b to F1?
Please post if you know.

ACanadian PR application timeline

Once you have filed the application for a Canadian PR, assuming it is filed correctly, how long did it take for them to process it and approve it??
Thanks

It takes any where between 12-18 months.

bjorn said:
Once you have filed the application for a Canadian PR, assuming it is filed correctly, how long did it take for them to process it and approve it??
Thanks

raju125 said:
The 2 years is to maintain your PR status. You have to be in Canada for a total of 2 years in a 5 year time frame. With regards to Citizenship, I believe it is a 3 years requirement. I may be wrong on this one though...

So if it is 3 years, do we have to stay for 365 x 3 days atleast or can we take a vacation to go outside the country?

rocky_cool said:
So if it is 3 years, do we have to stay for 365 x 3 days atleast or can we take a vacation to go outside the country?

Yes you have to stay 365 x 3 in country to get citizenship, you can however leave country any time you want and come back and continue your time. For example if you go for 1 month you can apply for citizenship 365 x 3 + 1 month, I don't think it has to be continuous 3 years, that would be wierd.

GC_Lover said:
Yes you have to stay 365 x 3 in country to get citizenship, you can however leave country any time you want and come back and continue your time. For example if you go for 1 month you can apply for citizenship 365 x 3 + 1 month, I don't think it has to be continuous 3 years, that would be wierd.

And this 365 x 3 should be in any given 5 year period, correct? Thanks for your reply.

rocky_cool said:
And this 365 x 3 should be in any given 5 year period, correct? Thanks for your reply.

No, 5 year period is just to maintain your GC status, you have to be country for 2 years in 5 year period. For example you can be in Canada for 2 years and then for next 3 years you can be out of Canada and still maintain your legal status. Then when you come back and stay 1 more year (total 3) you are eligible to apply for citizenship. 5 year period has nothing to do with citizenship and it has everything to do with keeping your PR/GC valid.

I am not sure whether information about 365 days is correct. Your residence in a country is based on living in that country for 181 or more in a year. Most of the countries have this 181 days rule for tax purpose and Canada is one of them. If I guess right, you need to stay in Canada 181 days to claim your PR status and apply for Citizenship(after 181 x 3).

hk196712 said:
I am not sure whether information about 365 days is correct. Your residence in a country is based on living in that country for 181 or more in a year. Most of the countries have this 181 days rule for tax purpose and Canada is one of them. If I guess right, you need to stay in Canada 181 days to claim your PR status and apply for Citizenship(after 181 x 3).

Look at this site

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/after-3.html

it says "You will not lose your permanent residence status unless you spend too much time living outside of Canada. You must live in Canada for two years in every five year period."

GC_Lover said:
Look at this site

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/after-3.html

it says "You will not lose your permanent residence status unless you spend too much time living outside of Canada. You must live in Canada for two years in every five year period."
GC Lover,

You are right. I was talking about the 365 days issue mentioned in one of the replies. I don't think that you need to stay 365 days in canada to qualify for PR or Citizenship. Instead you need to stay only 181 days in a year.

Another place of the same wesite reads as follows:
"Are you a permanent resident? Have you lived in Canada for three years or more? You may be ready to become a Canadian citizen."

My thinking is that the "one year" as mentioned above is just 181 days NOT 365 days.

hk196712 said:
GC Lover,

You are right. I was talking about the 365 days issue mentioned in one of the replies. I don't think that you need to stay 365 days in canada to qualify for PR or Citizenship. Instead you need to stay only 181 days in a year.

Another place of the same wesite reads as follows:
"Are you a permanent resident? Have you lived in Canada for three years or more? You may be ready to become a Canadian citizen."

My thinking is that the "one year" as mentioned above is just 181 days NOT 365 days.

Really? It's just 181 days? I was not sure about that, I will have to check with a friend who got his citizenship.