Anyone also apply for Canadian PR as well?

Visual_Deadlock

Registered Users (C)
Any recommendations of good lawyers to help with Canadian PR?

I am in the process of looking for one, but I have no idea which lawyer/law firm is good to go with.

Thanks for any help.

Visual_Deadlock said:

I am in the process of looking for one, but I have no idea which lawyer/law firm is good to go with.

Thanks for any help.
hey,

why spend all this money on lawyer for PR of canada? i did it by myself, it is easy and there are instructions. u can do it by yourself. don't give it to a lawyer. it is my advice after experience.

Do it yourself. It will be easy.
The US immigration is also possible without legal representation, if you & your employer spend little time.

Canadian PR

Canada has a very cool and fair PR system. It's based on YOUR education and experience and a points system that if you meet the minimum score of 67 you qualify. You can even take a self-assessment online and see where you end up. Then it's just a matter of filing the paperwork, also found online. No DOL or labor certification involved, just your professional credentials.

Canadian immigration process is one of the most fair, easiest and the quickest. Unlike US immigration which is slow, confusing and frustrating and has weird clauses to deal with.

You dont need a lawyer if your case is easy. Go to CIC read the documents, download PDF files, fill up the forms and follow the instructions. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agency

I filed mine through an agency/consultant. If you want, I can give you their name and details. Let me know

Visual_Deadlock said:

Thanks for any help.

raju125 said:
I filed mine through an agency/consultant. If you want, I can give you their name and details. Let me know

Can you tell me what did it cost? Also can you PM me with details of that agency. Thanks

My Canadian PR was approved yesterday.
The process is as simple as it gets.
If your case is straight forward, you dont need a lawyer.

No, you can't. Just like you can not work in Canada with US GC, the same way you can not work in US based on Canadian GC. Once you become canadian Citizen, you can work in US on TN visa provided you have offer from US company. TN visa is much simpler than H1B.

And for getting Canadian citizenship I believe we have to stay in Canada for 2 complete years, correct? Does it have to be exact 365 x 2 days in canada or can we go outside canada for vacation as well?

The 2 years is to maintain your PR status. You have to be in Canada for a total of 2 years in a 5 year time frame. With regards to Citizenship, I believe it is a 3 years requirement. I may be wrong on this one though...

rocky_cool said:
And for getting Canadian citizenship I believe we have to stay in Canada for 2 complete years, correct? Does it have to be exact 365 x 2 days in canada or can we go outside canada for vacation as well?

TO kewl:

You said that TN visa is simpler than H1b. Could you elaborate?
If one is on TN visa, what are the advantages for the american GC process (beginning with labor cert) over the H1b visa? For L1, the LC is not required..does TN visa offer something similar?
Thanks

Documents

I am going to apply for Canadian PR. Can someone help me with these information?
1. Where do I get a birth certificate if I never had one? Can I use 10th class board exam certificate as proof of birth date (It has been accepted in India)? How about the birth certificate that the Indian consulate in San Fransisco grants?

2. Where/How do I get police clearance certificate from each of the country where I have resided (India and US)? How long does it take to get such a clearance?

3. How long does it take for the processing of Canadian PR?

I appreciate your input very much. I think I can manage all the rest of the documentation.

To Amolkool:

I have not processed TN visa before but have limited knowledge on it. You can browse other immigration websites and find more about it.

TN Visa:
- Easy to process - just goto Canada - US border, show offer letter, your qualification / experiences and Canadian passport, get TN visa stamped and enter to US immediately.
- TN visa is not limited by annual quota, as opposed to H1B which is limited to 65000 currently.
- It is only for 1 year but easy to renew. There is no limit like 6 years in H1B.
- If something goes wrong in US job, you can always go back to Canada anytime as you are citizen (and may be comeback if find another opportunity or stay and work in Canada).
- Easy commute to and from Canada whenever required, just like another US state.
- I am not sure how much fees for TN visa, but definitely should be far less than H1B.
- Due to above benefits, TN visa is more preferable by US employer than H1B sometime.

Hi Ezee,

Birth certificate & PCC you can get from SF consulate.

The US police letter, as per the Canadain rules, you don't have to do it untill they ask you to do.

If you apply from the US, Canadian PR can take between 12 to 18 months.