Anybody with similar experience ?

usedu

My spouse who is on H-4 visa registered for two courses. Thereafter decided to take a drop and stopped attending classes. But failed to inform college about dropping courses before last date to drop courses. Now college treasury dept is asking us to pay tution fee ($4000.00) as courses were not dropped officially before drop date.

We already provided a letter to college that due to insecrity of my job(H1 layoffs), my spouse decided to drop courses but today we got a letter from the college doc does not support exemption from tution fee.

Note: As my spouse is still on H-4 visa there is no SSN and college does not have any information except our mailing address.

What are my options ?
What legal action college can take?

Any exp. sharing is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

No Title

It doesn\'t matter with or without SSN if ur spouse registered and if she signed papers than u will probably have to pay up. Again u have to look at all the options...like how much will hiring a lawyer to fight them will cost vs. just paying them off..and if u decide paying them off..then better send ur wife to attend the course and get something out of it...just me 2c..all the best.

same happened to me

had to shell 2k, coz i was 1 week late to cancel the class. it was bad. They didnt give me an option.

What if she does not want to persue further studies ....

What if she does not want to persue further studies. If we don\'t pay are they going to come to catch her.

Similar problem

Hi,
One of my friend is exactly in the same situation. He approached the dean of the university saying that he is laid off and he is not in a situation to pay the fee. The dean consisdered his case and asked him to provide the proof that he is laid off and he was exempted by saying pay the fee if you get another job. This is a exceptional case where he was very lucky. so i would suggest you guys to give a shot and try your luck. good luck.

check ur options

not paying mught damage the credit history for ur wife, u dont want that , if u have plans of staying here long. i kno 4k is a large amount, i had to pay 2k , it hurt. But its ur decision.
 try appealing to the dean and see....

Your wife can get away I guess

But the school will catch you instead because you are her sponsor and must have signed some kind of paper. You have SSN and everything ... Think ahead before action

JimZ