Anybody has tips to fill out I-485 by myself?

Mauricio22

Registered Users (C)
My due date will be November 7th, and I don't have the money to pay an attorney.

Please help?
Thank you all

What do you mean with due date? As I understand asylees can apply for permanent resident anytime after 1 year of granted asylum.

You do not need an attorney to fill out the I-485, it is pretty simple. If you want I will be glad to help you.

The instruction to the I-485 is easy to follow. You don’t need a lawyer for that.
I filed I-485 twice (once for myself and once for my child)
Make sure you file your application and all supporting evidence in the following order:

• fingerprint fee
• I-485 filing fee
• I-485, Application To Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
• 2 photos in an envelope stapled to lower left corner of your I-485. Write your name and A# on a back of the photographs.
• G-325, Biographic Information. Filed and signed
• Evidence of Asylee Status: a copy of your I-94 and a clear, readable copy of the letter granting you asylum.
• Evidence of one year’s physical presence in the United States.(For example: letter from your employer or copy of a lease agreement)
• Proof of any absences from the U.S. since you have been granted asylum. For example: photocopies of pages in refugee travel document or passport.
• Birth Certificate or other birth record ( I didn’t have my birth certificate at that time, so I submitted copies of every page of my national passport)
DO NOT submit I-693 Medical with Vaccination Supplement. You will receive a letter from INS instructing you to do so.

here is a link for more info:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/RefAdjust/index.HTM

If you have a specific question about specific part, or the paragraph of I-485, that you don’t understand – please ask.

So does that mean if I left the country less than a year ago

I can't apply?

That really sucks- 'cause I left the country 2 months ago.

• Proof of any absences from the U.S. since you have been granted asylum. For example: photocopies of pages in refugee travel document or passport.

does it mean that an asylee must reside in the US continuosly for one year??

Evidence might include a letter of employment, a lease, school enrollment records, or similar documentation, which would cover broad periods of time.

And what if you change your place of work often and you can`t get a letter from your employer covering full year? Same with lease.. :confused:

sorry for dumb questions.. :eek:

for Asylee22

The instruction doesn’t say that you have to be here continuously for an entire year.
It says that you have to be physically present in the United States in asylee status for at least a total of one year prior to filing the Form I-485.
So - take way the time you been absent and add all the time you been in USA to make a total of one year.

for Asylee25

asylee25 said:
And what if you change your place of work often and you can`t get a letter from your employer covering full year? Same with lease.. :confused:

sorry for dumb questions.. :eek:

Asylee25,

Those are just examples of the proof you can present to INS.
What about your electric bill? Pay stubs? Anything else that can prove you’re living or working or going to school in USA?

Also, living in this country you should know it is a good idea to ask for a reference letter every time you change an employer or a place of residence. Almost always the new employers and rental managers want to see those letters as a proof you been a good employee or tenant in a past.
If you have something like this – make a copy and send to INS as a supporting document for your I-485.
If you don’t, then maybe you should call or visit your past employers or rental managers and ask them?

Would the receipt from INS for EAD be a proof?I have a contract with my landlord but it doesn't cover 2 month of my presence in the U.S.

Minsk said:
Would the receipt from INS for EAD be a proof?I have a contract with my landlord but it doesn't cover 2 month of my presence in the U.S.

I though about receipts from INS…. But NO. It might work like a proof of a valid US address, but not as a proof of continuance presence.
Think about it – you can get EAD and then go overseas for two month vacation.
How’s that going to work?

Don’t you guys keep any records? Cashed rent deposit checks? Water bills? W-2 forms?
OK. If you have absolutely nothing you might try to get an affidavit from a friend or a neighbor - anybody! As long as this person is US citizen and says so on the affidavit (place and year when he/she was born or naturalized).
The affidavit should say how long this person had known you and that you, indeed, lived in USA continuously from this to that time. The signature should be notarized.
Good luck!

It's strange though.I think the fact that you have a contract from the landlord or bill doesn't mean that you were presented in the country.Right?You could ask your roommate to pay your rent or bill while you were out of the U.S.Plus even if INS asserts that I left the country for some time, they can easily check that.They must have departure records.Am I right?

And one more question.If I was granted asylum on May,5 should I proof that I was presented within USA in May?

Minsk said:
It's strange though.I think the fact that you have a contract from the landlord or bill doesn't mean that you were presented in the country.Right?You could ask your roommate to pay your rent or bill while you were out of the U.S.Plus even if INS asserts that I left the country for some time, they can easily check that.They must have departure records.Am I right?

Minsk,
When you travel, you travel temporally. Your rental agreement is a proof of your residence. Even if somebody else pays your bill for a couple of weeks, you still coming back to the same place you left, right?
It is a bad idea to leave US while your application for an asylum is pending.
However, if you never left, then you have nothing to worry about.
The count starts from a day you were granted asylum, including that day and excluding all absences from US.
So, if you went oversees, let’s say for 3 weeks after May 5, then you eligible for an adjustment sometime in June 2005.
You know, eight years form now, when INS ready to adjust your status, I don’t think they will scrupulously count every single day of your presence in USA, or ask you about it. If there is no record about you traveling overseas before applying I-485, then it means you were here.
Just give them something you already have as a proof of your residence here and don’t worry too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 Peach

Thanks for explanation.So u think it will be in 8 years only?U don't believe Senate will support amandment?Oh, too long. :(

I been here since Clinton served his first term. Don’t believe in anything anymore.
But….. let’s hope I am wrong and you get your GC pretty soon.

:)

2 Peach
I think if they keep goind that way it will increase backlog enormously.They might chande something.I don't think it's fun for them to deal with such matter.

to Minsk

Minsk said:
And u haven't got your GC yet? :confused:

Nope.
But hey! Another 10 years like this and my kids will be old enough to sponsor me.
ha-ha! It’s just a mater of time….. :D :D