Any tips on the new 30 day length of stay regulation for B2?

Anjan Bagchee

The moronic 30 days length of stay for people with visitor\'s visa has evidently been put into effect from the end of March 2002. This following excerpt is from a SUNY Binghamton newsletter:
================================
5. New U.S. Government Rules on Length of Stay for Those With Visitors
Visas

Many relatives and friends of international students come to the United States by obtaining visitor\'s visas (B-2 visas) at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad. While some visitors will stay for only several weeks, others often plan for a longer visit. Until recently, most individuals entering the United States on Visitor\'s Visas received permission to stay in the United States for up to six months on their I-94 cards.

This has recently changed! Effective in late March 2002, most visitors
entering the United States on B-2 visas are being given only thirty day (one month) stays on their I-94 cards, unless they can show the
immigration inspector at the U.S. Port of Entry evidence that proves a
need to stay longer. The change has been implemented as a result of the attacks of September 11, 2001. Individuals given a thirty day stay who need to remain in the United States for a longer period of time will be required to file an extension of stay application with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and pay a $140.00 filing fee, before their initial stay expires.
===========================================================

Even for me and my wife who think it might be slightly easier to provide "proof" of our child\'s birth this fall, we are at a loss to find a legitimate evidence of our pregnancy! Should we send INS a pregnancy test?!

Any tips from anyone who has gone through this?

Thanks,
Anjan

It says proposes, but on three occasions since April 1st, they have stamped 1 month stay.