Any tax on selling crypto assets bought before entering the US?

patrickmao

I know that if I buy crypto in the US and then sell at a higher price, then my capital gain is going to taxed. But what if I own some crypto before entering the states? If I sell these, what amount is subject to taxes?

In the United States, the tax treatment of selling crypto assets depends on various factors, including when and where the assets were acquired, how long they were held, and whether any gains were realized upon their sale.

If you bought crypto assets before entering the US and later sell them while you are a US resident for tax purposes, the tax implications generally follow these guidelines:

1. **Capital Gains Tax**: The IRS treats cryptocurrencies as property for tax purposes. When you sell crypto assets, you may realize a capital gain or loss. The capital gain is generally calculated as the difference between the sale price (in USD) and the acquisition cost (typically in USD equivalent at the time of purchase).

2. **FIFO Method**: The default method for determining which crypto assets are sold when you have multiple purchases is First-In-First-Out (FIFO). This means the oldest assets (those bought first) are considered sold first.

3. **Tax Rates**: If you held the crypto assets for more than one year before selling them, any gain would typically be subject to long-term capital gains tax rates, which are generally lower than ordinary income tax rates. Short-term gains (assets held for one year or less) are taxed at ordinary income tax rates.

4. **Reporting Requirements**: You are required to report capital gains and losses on Schedule D of your federal tax return (Form 1040) and may need to report them to the state tax authorities as well.

It's crucial to keep detailed records of your crypto transactions, including dates of acquisition, amounts paid in USD, and sale prices, to accurately calculate your capital gains or losses. If you have specific circumstances or need further advice, consulting with a tax professional familiar with cryptocurrency taxation is recommended.