Any Stamping Deadlines after receipt of 485 notices?

texas02

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone know if there is any kind of deadline / no. of days by when one should get the passport stamped after receiving the 485 approval notices? Thanks for your help.

I remember reading somewhere that you need to get stamped within one year of approval. I can't find the relevant link. Of Course the earlier you get stamped the sooner you get your physical card.

YMMV.

I also read somewhere that you have a year. At the same time, I read that the stamping is not necessary (*some people argue about it) if you are not travelling before your plastic card arrives. But one needs to go to local USCIS office and fill out form I-89 in order to order card. They take photograph and if you are above 14 year's of age then they take finger print. At the same time they stamp passport if you provide one.

* some people argue that stamp is the ONLY proof that you have a GC and not the plastic card. The counter argument to this is, passport can expire and change so people carry the card. Also, while entering US, POE does not care for whether you have a passport or not. All he asks is plastic card if you claim to be a GC holder.

Gurus, please correct me if I am wrong.

Question to texas02. - How long are you looking to wait before passport stamping? One month, six months or a year? Please share your experience of delayed PP stamping as I may be in the same situation.

Avalon said:
* some people argue that stamp is the ONLY proof that you have a GC and not the plastic card. The counter argument to this is, passport can expire and change so people carry the card. Also, while entering US, POE does not care for whether you have a passport or not. All he asks is plastic card if you claim to be a GC holder.

Stamp or the actual card are the only legal and valid proof of LPR status. In the absence of a card, the stamp becomes the only proof. The stamp is only temporary. Not getting a stamp after 485 approval means that one has NO legal proof of LPR status which can cause trouble with immigration/employment authorization.

Thanks nkm.

But the question is - What if I go to local USCIS office, fill out the form I-89 and do FP but not stamp the PP? I can tell the officer that I am not in a hurry to travel and I can wait for card to arrive ( In todays terms, it takes on an average 20 days for card to arrive).

Can the officer insist me to bring PP? Will the officer accept my I-89 without the passport?

Avalon said:
Thanks nkm.

But the question is - What if I go to local USCIS office, fill out the form I-89 and do FP but not stamp the PP? I can tell the officer that I am not in a hurry to travel and I can wait for card to arrive ( In todays terms, it takes on an average 20 days for card to arrive).

Can the officer insist me to bring PP? Will the officer accept my I-89 without the passport?

Your passport will probably be required for verification. If you refuse the stamp, how do you think you will prove your status? Approval notice is no good for that.
If you don't have a passport then you can get the same stamp on a I-94 card with your photo attached to it.
Why are you against passport stamping?

good question nkm..

u have to goto the local office to apply for the card right? why not get stamped at the same time?

Madhav

but i know of one case (can't remember the name) who didnt get stamped and got the card..

nkm and Mad Par

As far as proof of identity, the officer can take EAD card and Driver's License in lieu of passport.

It is not that I do not have passport. The question is, is it a must to stamp the passport? I have seen that lately, the card arrives within 30 days of approval. If I am not making a trip within that period then I do not need stamp. Having a stamp on passport is a good thing but again the questions is, is it a must or you can live with the card.

Another way to ask the same question is, is it ok if I go to local USCIS office, order card then visit again after a month or two and then stamp passport? (stamping at the same time is a good thing but I am choosing to do it at two different instances.)

Mad Par,

I could not get your answer. "Good choice..". Would you please elaborate this to me?

Words from My Lawyer

My lawyer told me the following:

Is there an expiration date for the approval notice? In other words,
what's deadline for my passport stamping?
ANSWER: I know of no deadline, but I would suggest going within 6 months.

Avalon - It is upto you to go as many times to the local office. You can go apply for card..go again for stamping. if u dont want to that day..come back and go again..as long as u have an approval letter inhand..or some proof that u need for stamping..

that's what i meant by good choice..i chose to go only once to apply for card and do stamping...btw..there is no sarcasm involved here..

Madhav

-Thanks for your replies.
-Avalon: I am looking to wait 2-3 weeks.

Avalon said:
I also read somewhere that you have a year. At the same time, I read that the stamping is not necessary (*some people argue about it) if you are not travelling before your plastic card arrives. But one needs to go to local USCIS office and fill out form I-89 in order to order card. They take photograph and if you are above 14 year's of age then they take finger print. At the same time they stamp passport if you provide one.

Gurus, please correct me if I am wrong.

Question to texas02. - How long are you looking to wait before passport stamping? One month, six months or a year? Please share your experience of delayed PP stamping as I may be in the same situation.