Any recent Exp traveling with AP in Airindia Via Frankfurt!!?

Nimmi

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
We are traveling with AP in Air India on June12th via Frankfurt ..it stops at Frankfurt for 1 hr 25 min...I am wondering do we need a Transit Visa or not!!?
I called Air India they told no need of Transit Visa If you are not going out from the Airport.

Any recent experiences will be appreciated!!?

Thanks

Nimmi,
I am also planning to travel via Frankfurt.I did some search and as per my understanding you have to have a transit visa if you don't have valid US Visa in your passport even if you don't leave the airport.Remember AP is not considered as visa.

Again some people who travelled with transit visa were saying they were not even asked to show the transit visa.But i think it is better to be safe always.
Experts pl correct me if I am wrong.

Good to get Transit Visa

I am in the same boat. I emailed German Consulate in Chicago and they said If I am travelling with AP, then I do Need to get Trasit visa. It costs $45.00 per person.

Today I got the german transit visa from German consulate in Chicago.I went in person and submitted the visa application with $47.00 fee on Tuesday.Today I picked up my passport.I guess they are issuing the visa based on our travel dates.For me they gave the visa for 48 days and for 2 entries.
They took the visa application,passport,copy of AP,Copy of ticket or confirmed Itinerary and visa fee.They only accept cash or money order or cashiers check And NO PERSONAL CHECKS.

I hope they issue Transit visa same day.

Hello gm_gc,
I am going to the german consulate in NY for transit visa. Can you please tell me do they issue the visa on the same day or we have to come back again after 3-4 days? please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Raju

I recently travelled ( may 2005) ( with advance parole and expired visa) through Frankfurt on Air India. I did get the transit visa from german consulate, I mailed it on a saturday and got it back on thursday. While going to India, they didnt check my passport when I got out of the plane in FRA. While I was re boarding they checked my passport, and I dont think they looked for a visa.
On our way back to US, there was a person checking passport in FRA when we got out of the plane. I gave the passport with visa page open, they didnt pay much attention to it. So both the times they didnt do anything with it.

Interestingly, the passenger next to me on the flight back to US didnt have a transit visa. He was flying Air India since his NW flight through Amsterdam got cancelled. He was not sure whether he should get out of the plane when they announced that transit passengers need to deplane (Initially they announced transit passengers should not deplane). But he did and nobody checked for a transit visa and happily joined us on the plane.
He also mentioned that there was a couple, one of them didnt have a transit visa ( other had green card) and stayed on the plane...

I am just sharing the experience and not advising anybody to travel without the transit visa.

Both the travellers mentioned had parole( so they told me)
BTW, my co passenger told me Amsterdam doesnt require a transit visa for parole holders( was news to me) . So if anybody is planning to travel, check out flying through amsterdam, don't give those suckers 50 bucks.

Hello Raju in Philly,
In Chicago they are taking 2 days to issue the transit visa.I don't think they will issue the visa on the same day.If it is urgent for you, request them if they can return the passport on the same day and see what they say.

I am the guy next to gcjoe in that Air India flight. Surprised sure?

I wouldn’t advise people travel via Amsterdam in NW to avoid transit fees. As it happened in our case the North West flight got cancelled, and the next flight from NW was 48 hours away. After lot of struggle and argument with a NW manager, arrangements were made to travel in this Air India flight via Frankfurt, which requires a transit visa for people with out a valid visa stamp on passport and traveling with AP. At this point no one knows what documents would be required at Frankfurt. And even the Indian Immigration officer contacted by the NW told them, that it is ok to board the plane with out the transit visa. Although nothing bad happened during the trip, for me and the other family mentioned by GCJoe, it is virtually a nightmare until we were back to POE at Chicago. I will gladly pay fifty bucks to these suckers to avoid all these ifs and buts.

avoid the european airports only hassle

fly via tokyo and bkk or singapore and connect

even if you are east coast fly via tokyo and now thai is introudcing a non stop nyc to bkk 16 hrs and there u can connect to anywhere easily,no hassle visa on arrivla or many countries have visa waivers to enter there.

european airports think they are doing u a favor by transiting there.

bush should infact ban all french and german airlines from flying into the US due to their hassle and attitute issues

freakin fully agree

they do have a crappy attitude !

ac21_help said:
fly via tokyo and bkk or singapore and connect

even if you are east coast fly via tokyo and now thai is introudcing a non stop nyc to bkk 16 hrs and there u can connect to anywhere easily,no hassle visa on arrivla or many countries have visa waivers to enter there.

european airports think they are doing u a favor by transiting there.

bush should infact ban all french and german airlines from flying into the US due to their hassle and attitute issues

Travelling with advance parole via Frankfurt

Hi experienced AP travellers via Frankfurt,

I am travelling via Frankfurt (round trip) in August '05 with advance parole. My visa expired long ago(it has been ages now I am on EAD/AP). Now, made the courage to travel on AP and brought tickets for Lufthansa. I was so excited to travel direct from Boston-Frankfurt-Hyderabad in their new route that I never thought of checking the airport transit visa requirements.

I read so many postings on this issue and each one has a contradicting experience. Based on your experiences, would you suggest taking a chance and travel without a transit visa? Or think it's better to be safe.

I should ask this to the Consulate but they haven't answered it very clearly to my question. Is one application enough for both in/out -ward travel and will $47 visa fees take care of both the transits?

Thanks for your reply posting in advance.
ss

Hi experienced AP travellers via London,

I am travelling via London (round trip) to hyderabad this weekend with advance parole. My visa expired long ago.

Do I need a transit visa?

Travelling through London with AP-experience

I just got back from a trip via London with my AP and UK transit visa (on Air India). Although it appeared like no one did check for the UK visa (on both trips), I would recommend that you get it.

Got Airport transit visa from German Consulate Boston

I finally decided to go the German Consulate, Boston on Friday last and applied for airport transit visa. The same Vice-Consul who replied to my email query was on the counter. ASA he saw my name on the application he recognised me and asked, you had some email queries about the visa few days back!

He explained me the reason why they are asking for airport transit visas for advance parole (AP) holders. He said there is no common guidance or rule to deal with AP holders among the Schengen group of countries for claimng the exemption for Indian nationals as noted in their list of countries on site.
Every country is treating it differently.

In all it cost me $43(airport transit visa for 90 days validity and multi-entry so covers my roundtrip), one foto(don't glue the foto) and 30 minutes at the Consulate. I walked out with the visa in my passport.

Thanks and Good luck.

smooth_sailing said:
Hi experienced AP travellers via Frankfurt,

I am travelling via Frankfurt (round trip) in August '05 with advance parole. My visa expired long ago(it has been ages now I am on EAD/AP). Now, made the courage to travel on AP and brought tickets for Lufthansa. I was so excited to travel direct from Boston-Frankfurt-Hyderabad in their new route that I never thought of checking the airport transit visa requirements.

I read so many postings on this issue and each one has a contradicting experience. Based on your experiences, would you suggest taking a chance and travel without a transit visa? Or think it's better to be safe.

I should ask this to the Consulate but they haven't answered it very clearly to my question. Is one application enough for both in/out -ward travel and will $47 visa fees take care of both the transits?

Thanks for your reply posting in advance.
ss

AP , Candian PR, Expired H1b on passport

I have AP , Candian PR, Expired H1b on passport. Do I need Transit visa for frankfurt ...I am going india.

Wheretogo

I was in the same exact status as you are. I applied and got trasit visa. I went to india in august and came back. Nobody ever never bothered to check for the trasit visa. But the consulate says that its a requirement to have the visa to board the flight.

Transit visa

I check with Germany consulate. they told you do not need transit visa if you have canadian PR. even she guide me to go website and see samething.