Any RECENT ACTUAL experiences with expedited passport delivery???

CanTex

Registered Users (C)
I have my oath ceremony next Monday (July 18) and plan to immediately (same day) apply for my U.S. passport via my local post office, pay the expedited service fee, plus 2-way overnight delivery.

I need my passport for travel ~ 3 weeks later (August 6).

Does anyone else have RECENT, ACTUAL experience with expedited passport delivery timing? Yes, I know that on-line the quoted delivery time is "within about 2 weeks" for this situation but what are people really seeing lately?

And -- before someone suggests it -- I DON'T live near a regional passport agency where I know I can get same day service (and I don't meet the criteria for travel within 2 weeks anyway). I'm willing to take the risk of the expedited option vs. wasting the better part of two days driving to / from Chicago for same day service.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my expedited passport with 2-way Express mail in a total of 5 business days, or 7 days counting the weekend. This accounts for 2 days for mailing and 72 hours for the passport processing. The post office will give a 1-800 number that you can call after 48 hours to check on the status of your application. Also, save the receipts of your express mail and track the delivery both ways at www.usps.gov

Some post offices do this by appointment only. At least that's how it's done in Orlando. If that's the case then, take an appointment on the same day of your oath or the next morning. When your apply at the post office, have them take your pictures. I took my pictures with me, but it didn't seem to meet their size requirement by may be 1 or 2 mm. So I let them take another picture and paid a little extra for peace of mind.

Good luck.

Regional Passport Agency / Office

I am in New York City. Where can I find a Regional Passport Agency / Office - where I can apply for passport and get same day service?

Thanks in advance

I applied for my passport via the post office using expedited service with express mail service both ways. I sent it on June 23, 2005 and received it back on July 1, 2005.

Awesome information, everyone. Thanks for sharing.

It looks I'll have plenty of time to get mine.

I applied for my passport this afternoon, following my oath ceremony this morning.

I was told to expect as long as two weeks to get this with expedited service, because they are severely back-logged at the Chicago Regional Passport Agency (something like 15,000 passports pending right now). I'll update here once I receive my passport.

Done!

I received my passport yesterday. It took 9 business days in total. It came from the Chicago Passport Agency.