Any progress on my I485 ??

Justaskingagain

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
My I140 has been approved more than a year ago.
Now on I485 status request, in reply to "type of service requested: Outside normal processing times":

-In November 2006, I received an answer letter from Texas Center of USCIS stating the following: "Processing of your case has been delayed. A check of our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required investigation into your background remains open. Until the background investigation is completed, we cannot move forward on your case. These background checks are required to be completed on all applicants who apply for the immigration benefit you are seeking. We will make every effort to make a decision on this case as soon as the background ckecks are complete. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please contact us by calling customer service. XM0210"

-In July 2007, another answer letter from Texas Center of USCIS stating: "Your case is currently under review. You should receive a decision or notice of other action within 60 days of the date of this letter. XM0365"

-In September 2007, another answer letter from Texas Center of USCIS stating: "Our review indicates that this case is actually within our current processing time. We regret any misunderstanding. If you do not receive a decision or notice of other action within our current processing time, check our website for an update or call customer service. XMO217".

Now my question is :

Any clue on what's happening with my case ? Looking at the USCIS responses through the past year, any sign on progress made on my case ? Any projected date for my 485 approval ?

Thanks!

One more important information:

My I485 filing date is 12-22-2005.
My RFE was received by USCIS in July 2006.
Texas Center is now processing applications from Dec 2006.

Thanks!

Gosh that is crazy ! Why do we have to suffer because of USCIS mistakes that can cost us years of time and emotional distress. Anyways, Yes I think making an info pass apointment and a letter to senator or cogressman would be nice.

How do I get info pass appointment?
And is it really helpful, i.e. would they tell me how long I have left to wait??
What should I take when I go there?

Thx!

Goto this website to make an appointment near where you live.

https://infopass.uscis.gov/infopass.php

They will proabably never tell you how long you have left to wait but they may be able to give you a rough estimate which is as good as any ones guess. But they can give you a bit more information than available on uscis website, based on informaiton learned through infopass, you can write to your congressman.

Make sure that you have your receipt number, (alien number if you have it handy) and the photo id at the minimum.

Thanks,

Thx. But what kind of appointment should I select ? The best I can pick is the last one but it says:

If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment.

I have actually received their reply (see my original post above). The thing is that I want them to explain where exactly my I485 is at...

Thx again.

Infopass may or may not be able to provide you the exact status of your case. If I were you, I will make an appointment anyway, after all what you got to lose other than couple of hours of your time?

As far as what category to choose from Select 4th option from the top "You need Information or Other Services" and then click 'Continue' Fill out the personal information.

Once your apointment is confirmed, take the print out with you along with the other documents indicated on the website.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks,
WaitingforgCard

I went to my infopass appointment today, and all they could tell me is that my I485 is still pending in the Texas Center. They suggested to contact Texas Center directly, so I will send a letter to Texas Center and an email to uscis-complaint.

I have a new question now: I have a valid H1 Visa that expires in April 2008. I want to travel in December for 3 weeks.
Do I need to apply for AP, or can I use my H1 to re-enter? Is there an expediting option/fee for AP? If yes, how long will it take in this case?

After I come back, do I need to apply for an extension of my H1, or only EAD, and when? what are the options here?

Thank you.
JustAskingAgain.

I have a new question now: I have a valid H1 Visa that expires in April 2008. I want to travel in December for 3 weeks.
Do I need to apply for AP, or can I use my H1 to re-enter? Is there an expediting option/fee for AP? If yes, how long will it take in this case?

After I come back, do I need to apply for an extension of my H1, or only EAD, and when? what are the options here?

Thank you.
JustAskingAgain.

Apply for AP- Just in case your Case gets approved while you are in India. This will let you enter the US even if case gets approved IF you have an AP PRIOR to leaving from US.

Next, wait till you come back to apply for EAD. Your H1 status will hold if you are working for the same employer.

End of Dec, see if your employer wants to renew your H1B. If yes, let him file for it and you can work beyond Apr 2008 on H1B AS LONG AS your H1B extension was filed before your current H1B expiry.

If employer wont renew H1B, file for EAD...though its a pain and you have to renew every year. Ideally file 100 days before H1B expiry because they may take time to approve it and if H1B is expired and your EAD is still not approved, you cannot LEGALLY work

What if I want to change employer? When is a better time to do that? before or after H1B expires? Will I-485 and I-140 need to start again? What if I'm already on EAD?

Thx!