Any of your friends returned back to India?????

Sabu

Registered Users (C)
Any of your friends returned back to India after working for 6 years in USA? How is their overall experience (life style, Job etc) in India now?

Thanks,
naanshi.
(Always Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst)

Yes couple of them returned back. They say that they are struggling to find a job there. But this is what they said. Who knows if they are not getting the pay they want or kind of position they want. In India it is always tougher to find a job because of competetion.
Adjusting to the lifestyle is one more tough thing they are facing right now. They are thinking of either coming back to US after one year or going to another country :D

I am thinking of going back too

I know a friend who went back last year. He and his wife made that decision and happy about it. I have absolute confidence in me that I will make good life in India once my 6 year term ends in FEB 2005. US has taught me that resilience.

naanshi said:
Any of your friends returned back to India after working for 6 years in USA? How is their overall experience (life style, Job etc) in India now?

Thanks,
naanshi.

naanshi,

have you thought of immigrating to Canada, UK, Australia etc? I feel if you have to 'prepare for the worst' you should think of these alternatives. Because although we may adjust back to Indian lifestyle (hopefully), if you have kids who are 3 or older, it will be really tough for them. BTW, had myself applied for Candaian immigration once my I-140 seemed to be in trouble. Luckily I got the approval, but still Canadian PR is a good backup to have.

But, hey, lets hope for the best and wish your I-140 gets approved after the RFE.

sertra2002

naanshi said:

Thanks,
naanshi.

Job market is better than ever, people returning from US tend to get very very good offers. Some of my friends got very lucrative offers and they are happy.

Lifestyle is again a relative term depends on what your intrests,priorities are.....

Thanks,
octFiler.

It all depends on your priorities and comfort level. I have friends who went to India and got offers of 10+ L INR Per Year (this was about 1.5 year back). Some left with offers from here.

I know of others who were forced to go back and want to return. If you are prepared and want to take a plunge, options seem to be excellent.

I had seriously toyed with the idea of getting back home and had started talking with some people, some good offers were coming thru before I backed out.

Do returnees really return to India

Hello,
I beg to disagree with the notion that returnees really return to India. A lot of people returned to India just because their companies asked them to return or lose their jobs here. (I can only speak about returnees who were based in US). A lot of these folks who returned are in the area of IT /IS/ Consulting. The NYTime article did feature non IT folks and also featured successful IT folks who had credentials to get a good job here anytime.
I know of people returning to India, getting good pay based on Indian standards and eventually coming back to US on projects thru well known Indian contracting companies. These folks come to US for 1 yr projects. So are these people really going back and contributing to Indian society (other than the tax payment on Indian salary). In essence these people live in US but work on Indian pay! Why the heck then go back?
The Indian cos do not want to construct and build IP (Intellectual property) in India. Even the US based cos just set up a development center in India and state that IP is being developed in India. In essence the management of IP is being done from here, but the development is being done in India. The strings are being pulled from here and tommorrow if the "hand" decides that China or Poland or Hungary or Ukraine or EEU(all well known and strong in basic sciences and engg ) offers a better ROI, the qs would be "Who India (americanized grammer)...american Indians?" Just like the way American Indians were wiped out...

I returned to India and came back

My timeline -

May 1996 - arrived in USA
worked in different companies and applied labor with some devious employers.

May 2001 - applied labor with my present company.

May 2002 - My 6 years expired and labor was not approved.
I went back to India. Lived with my parents for 7 months. was unemployed .

March 2003 - Landed in canada. (I had applied to canada as a backup plan)
Was unemployed in canada for 6 months.

July 2003 - Got news that my labor was denied

Oct 2003 - Got a good job in Canada in a bank.

Jan 2004 - suprisingly my labor got approved. didnt believe it.

Feb 2004 - My labor sponsoring company calls me back with a new H1-b .
I return to USA after spending 20 months outside USA.

May 2004 - apply for I-140 , since labor is approved.

So that is my tale. Very complex and convoluted. The only constant was my anxiety about my fate and my green card.

thanks

Discrimination is one of the factor to consider when thinking about moving back to India, be an Indian living in the US(or any other country) we are always more vonarable to get discriminated against color, religion, nationality(all three). All the bad stuff happened to me in this country starting from driving ticket to group of white people teasing me in the mall, I am always concerned that some of it wouldn't have happened if I am a white. You can't really know how much pain the discrimination causes unless you personally experience it. I am kind of habituated to live with that feeling but I am more concerned about my kids

KrishnaMK said:
Discrimination is one of the factor to consider when thinking about moving back to India, be an Indian living in the US(or any other country) we are always more vonarable to get discriminated against color, religion, nationality(all three). All the bad stuff happened to me in this country starting from driving ticket to group of white people teasing me in the mall, I am always concerned that some of it wouldn't have happened if I am a white. You can't really know how much pain the discrimination causes unless you personally experience it. I am kind of habituated to live with that feeling but I am more concerned about my kids

There are other things like you cannot go to the tops. In India some of our friends are senior project managers or directors. But here we are still hitting the keyboard.
Here we miss the opportunities of going to the top in the ladder.

tammy2 said:
There are other things like you cannot go to the tops. In India some of our friends are senior project managers or directors. But here we are still hitting the keyboard.
Here we miss the opportunities of going to the top in the ladder.

I am not Indian. However, there are Indian at the top of ladder. HP Printer President (VJ) is Indian. Of course, for foreigner to climb up the ladder is extremely difficult. However, I believe that someday Aisa will be much stronger than U.S. (at least I hope) so we don't need to worry about the damn plastic card.

My perspective of currently being employed by an Indian company

Interesting discussion. I am currently employed in a big Indian company and here is my perspective. The job market in India right now is in the best of the period with massive recruitments (attributed to growth as well as job hopping). The salaries are increasing at 20% per annum, excluding stocks and other perks. But I am not sure how long would this increase continue, as salaries cannot keep growing forever.

Coming to the satisfaction of the people who return to India, it is their perspective of "what makes them happy". India can never substitute the style of living in US, and having any expectations on that will only make one depressive. If the happiness can come out of living with family together, yes - definitely one may not want to come back.

Hi All,

Thanks for your views. Anybody knows the web sites of US companies which has operation in India, who is hiring people with USA experience? (Mine is M.E(EEE), 10 years experience, 6.5 years in USA, VB, ASP, PHP, Python, Oracle, MySQL, Crystal Reports and Web Technologies)

naanshi

Plesease C Private Message BOX.

naanshi said:
Hi All,

Thanks for your views. Anybody knows the web sites of US companies which has operation in India, who is hiring people with USA experience? (Mine is M.E(EEE), 10 years experience, 6.5 years in USA, VB, ASP, PHP, Python, Oracle, MySQL, Crystal Reports and Web Technologies)

naanshi