Any J1 questions ?

sameirbab

Registered Users (C)
I just checked the website and it says my application has been granted. I gained a lot of info from this website, I am willing to help anyone with answers to there questions.

In fact I should thank Jigesh who is doing a wonderful job, helping out others. Unfortunately there are not many people have much info about J1 visa. One has to actively search for the information on websites and other places. Basically No onjection waiver is pretty straight forward if you have private funding, I mean if you did not receive government funding.

Well, there is a lot of confusion as to when one should apply for the waiver based on no objection. It varies by circumstance of course, but contrary to the general belief one need not apply for waiver at the end of or towards the end of their J1 term. If you are on J1 for one year or more, I think it should be enough to apply for the waiver.

But again I got mixed replies from the DOS when I contacted them as to when I should apply. One officer said I should apply 6 months before IAP expries, the other said I can apply before 1 year, the other said, whenever I like. Obviously these guys dont know what they are talking about. Most of them have the wrong information, I mean the officers who answer your questions at the DOS. so one should be careful how much you can rely on those anwers. However, it also confirmed by one well known lawyer that one can apply for No objection based waiver like quite early.

However, I know, that it easy to give advice, but the person who is applying for the waiver is the one who should decide with the information avaialble - When it is a good time to apply.

Finally if you are not in a hurry or your circumstance dont need you to change status immediately, it maybe fine to wait till you have about 1-year left on the IAP, before you apply. But if you need to apply sooner, I "THINK" it is ok.

Personal opinion - Not a Legal opinion

Congratulations, Sameirbab!

Congratulations on your approval and best wishes for your onward journey to the US immigration.

I am glad that you are ready to be available on this forum for the information seekers. Thank you. At least, they will now have recent information because my case was way back - around 2.5 years back - and so before replying any post, I was always concerned that laws/procedures might have changed since I underwent the waiver procedure and that my reply should not mislead people.

You are right, there's no unified source on the web that contains all information about J-1 waiver so one has to devote considerable amount of time to collect meaningful information. That's why I have always found this forum decent and informative as compared to other forums (like I-485 forum, etc.).

Good luck.

Jigesh

All J-1 waiver applicants should be careful not to file their waivers until after they have recieved their final IAP-66.
The reason is that a J-1 can loss their postions if the waiver is filed to soon.

visit www.celestetabriz.com