Any issues for weekend travel to Canada near end of TN

icnurse07

Registered Users (C)
I have a couple of months left on my current TN. I need to go back and forth to Canada on weekends a bit due to illness of a close friend. My US company would like to employ me for a second year. They will support the mail in extension application or me going to the border, whichever I want. Since the TN is meant to be for one year is there likelihood of hassles at the border returning after a weekend if they know there is intent to extend TN, or that the application has already been mailed in? Any opinion if it would be better for me to do mail in or border application? thanks

As long as your TN is in status you are fine. You might even want to bring your documents for the new TN with you. Sometimes you might get a border guard that notices you're getting close and might offer to do your new TN then and there.

It's probably not the norm, but it has happened...

Since the TN is meant to be for one year is there likelihood of hassles at the border returning after a weekend if they know there is intent to extend TN, or that the application has already been mailed in?

Intent to extend TN is not a viable reason to deny entry. No issue here.

I would do as warlord suggests, in the month before your TN expires, to carry a TN package with you, but only apply for new TN if/when asked to.

The moment you do get this new TN, cancel the I-129 petition immediately, in writing to the Service Center.

Isn't the TN extension by mail that is being processed automatically cancelled if you leave the US (i.e. you would then be forced to apply at the border, or send in a new extension by mail once you returned to the US)? Or am I confusing this with other things?

I-129s are NOT automatically cancelled when leaving US, since they are not YOUR petition, but the employer's.

Change of status I-539 are 'considered' abandonned, but one needs to be careful, since there ius rarely any record of US-Canada departures/entries, since most either don't have an I-94, or were never issued one.

icnurse07,

Last year in May of 2007 I sent in my I-129 Extension of TN Status. It eventually got approved on July 31, 2007. I had travelled back to Canada in mid-June 2007 to attend a friends wedding (1 month after submitting the I-129, and 1 month before it's eventual approval).

Upon my return to the US (with roughly 30 days left in my current TN at the time) I entered on my existing TN with no hassles at all. No mention of the I-129 petition was even made at the border upon my return and I was waved through no problem. As previously stated, my mail-in TN (I-129) was eventualy approved in July 2007 so travel to Canada with a pending I-129 for TN status was not an issue for me then and should not be an issue for you.

As Warlord mentioned, it would be good to carry a fresh TN application package with you just in case. When I went back to Canada for the weekend last June I had brought my documents to apply for a TN at the border JUST IN CASE the border guard, as nelsona mentioned, would offer to process a fresh TN at the border. However this was not the case for me but it was good to be prepared just in case (it doesn't really take to long to prepare a proper TN application package anyways).

Hope this helps,

CJ

I have been offered a new TN several times, in some cases months before the expiration. I do a lot of travel back and forth (a lot to me is every 2-3 months). It may depend on the border too - in Vermont they seem a bit bored at certain times, and it seems they were happy to help. On the other hand, I've had a tough time getting approved at critical times when I needed it (ie: on the day it expires). For the future, I am always ready to get a new one. I have had two TN's accepted that were harshly scrutinized, while most have been without issue. The main point of scrutiny has been the matchup between the job description posted on my letter of employment to their Department of Labor Job Description for my job. One guy scrutinized me so long that his shift ended, and he spent 45 minutes telling the next shift-inspector what he found, what he was looking for, and how to continue researching my case.

I-129s are NOT automatically cancelled when leaving US, since they are not YOUR petition, but the employer's.

Is this also true for H-1 extension's I-129? My ext H1 took so long that I entered the grace period and the company's lawyer told me NOT to travel outside the US until the approval comes in mail. (Not to mention the driver's license problem I also ran into due to this). I put so much pressure on my employer to convert the application to Premium. It took them almost another 2 months after my H1 expiration before these stingy bastards paid for premium.

Is this also true for H-1 extension's I-129? My ext H1 took so long that I entered the grace period and the company's lawyer told me NOT to travel outside the US until the approval comes in mail. (Not to mention the driver's license problem I also ran into due to this). I put so much pressure on my employer to convert the application to Premium. It took them almost another 2 months after my H1 expiration before these stingy bastards paid for premium.

I-129s for H1 are not automatically cancelled either if one leaves US (the company is the petitioner, not the employee). The difference with H1 however, is that one cannot get an H1 at the border, which one can for TN of course.

Your lawyers were right to tell you not to travel after the H1 had expired, as you would have had no status on which to re-enter, but travel beforehand was quite alright.