Any Experience on Recent Travel

rjo1

Registered Users (C)
I am travelling to India for 10 days after my Fingerprint and before my Interview.

Going after about 2 years, so I was wondering of any changes for GC Holders at the airport.

1. Will I be photographed, Fingerprinted?
2. Any forms to fill out?
3. Do I need to carry any docs?

Please post your experience going out of US and coming back in ?

Thanks a lot.
--

I remember reading somewhere about a plan to fingerprint GC holders when coming back. I am not sure what happened of that or when it was going to be implemented.

Huracan said:
I remember reading somewhere about a plan to fingerprint GC holders when coming back. I am not sure what happened of that or when it was going to be implemented.

I think that plan is still floating around, not a policy yet, and not been implemented at any airports.

I just returned from a short trip to Europe.
On my way back - just showed GC and passport.
But on my way out - it looks like there is a new procedure to go out of USA (not sure how new, I did not travel long time before this trip) - when I asked if I shoud get a stamp into passport for going out - they sent me to a machine and a person near this machine helped me - procedure was:
insert some data (not sure - name, passport number, visa number, GC A#)
fingerprinting (2 fingers only)
then you get a receipt with your name and date of going out USA...

compass,

Not sure what was your circumstance that you had to go through those "extra" steps for departure........ I have not heard any other GC holders who travelled recently had experienced any abnormal process as used to.......

The finger printing rule is only apply to non-immigrant visa holder. If I am not mistaken, there is a handful of country listed for those needs the special procedure for departure from US...... For normal non-imigrants, I-94 is the official document to track your in/out process.

Of cause, I have not traveled for long time, I might have missed something.

Last edited by a moderator:
compass said:
But on my way out - it looks like there is a new procedure to go out of USA (not sure how new, I did not travel long time before this trip) - when I asked if I shoud get a stamp into passport for going out - they sent me to a machine and a person near this machine helped me - procedure was:

Weird. I just came back from Caribbean vacation. No stamps, no fingerprints, no receipts on exit. On reentry, presented passport and GC. Routine question about trip duration, passport stamped, and "Welcome home" greeting.

compass said:

That is not a common procedure. It is the first time I've heard of something like that....

My gut feeling is that (USCIS/Airport) is testing some equipment or procedures and that you were "a test case" since you asked question and self-identifed yourself as a good subject to test a pilot system.

Obviously, this is nothing of great significance...

What was the airport?

harvydonald said:
I think that plan is still floating around, not a policy yet, and not been implemented at any airports.

Yes, I believe you're absolutely right. It was a plan, but it seems it hasn't got off the ground, yet.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/27/AR2006072701452.html
http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/3505

I believe this is the proposed rule:

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubl...4801a7c6c&disposition=inline&contentType=html

The docket ID is DHS-2005-0037 for whomever wants to read the comments on the proposed rule at http://www.regulations.gov

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made a two-week trip to China. Check-in at Beijing on the way back was a little complex as the automatic machine did not like my Green Card because it has no expiration date. Then coming in to the US in Newark, the immigration officer was a little sniffy and said I needed to replace the GC before it was confiscated !!!!! He was a little less mean when I told him I had filed an N-400 (naturalization). No finger-printing or similar.

rjo1 said:
I am travelling to India for 10 days after my Fingerprint and before my Interview.

Going after about 2 years, so I was wondering of any changes for GC Holders at the airport.

1. Will I be photographed, Fingerprinted?
2. Any forms to fill out?
3. Do I need to carry any docs?

Please post your experience going out of US and coming back in ?
Here is a first hand experience - I have traveled after my FP was done and there has not been any problem. No photographing, no finger printing is required at the port of entry. You will just have to carry your GC and your current nationality passport. You literally travel like any other permanent resident. No change at all.

You can still enter the country on a non-expiration date GC? I thought those all had to be replaced about 10 yrs ago.

Superstring said:
That is not a common procedure. It is the first time I've heard of something like that....

My gut feeling is that (USCIS/Airport) is testing some equipment or procedures and that you were "a test case" since you asked question and self-identifed yourself as a good subject to test a pilot system.

Obviously, this is nothing of great significance...

What was the airport?

Airport was Chicago O'hara....