Any Experience for N-600

aimei_mei

Registered Users (C)
Dear Friends and Experts,
My friend juts got her US Citizenship in San Jose and is planning to get automatic citizenship for her 8 year-old son. (My own case is still pending because of Name check, ID: Nov. 29, San Jose, by the way)
She is filling N-600 for her son but seems the form is much more complicated than N-400.
The other question is why she needs to File N-600 because her son could get US passport anyway with her citizenship certificate and the fee for passport (100USD) is less than for N-600 (250USD).
Your every information is highly appreciated.
Have a good weekend!

Best Regards!
Aimei

aimei_mei said:
Dear Friends and Experts,
My friend juts got her US Citizenship in San Jose and is planning to get automatic citizenship for her 8 year-old son. (My own case is still pending because of Name check, ID: Nov. 29, San Jose, by the way)
She is filling N-600 for her son but seems the form is much more complicated than N-400.
The other question is why she needs to File N-600 because her son could get US passport anyway with her citizenship certificate and the fee for passport (100USD) is less than for N-600 (250USD).
Your every information is highly appreciated.
Have a good weekend!

Best Regards!
Aimei
You don't plan to get an automatic citizenship: it happens automatically. ;)
Your friend can apply for her son's passport along with hers. It has nothing to do with filing N-600.
She needs to file N-600 to get a Naturalization Certificate for her son. It is optional, but highly recommended.
Read this link: http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1051627#post1051627

Anahit,
Thank you.
I have noticed that the processing time of San Jose to process N-600 is more than one year. I can not understand why it takes that long because it is automatic citizenship.

aimei_mei said:
Anahit,
Thank you.
I have noticed that the processing time of San Jose to process N-600 is more than one year. I can not understand why it takes that long because it is automatic citizenship.
The citizenship is automatic. It's the processing of N-600 takes that long, like eveything else in USCIS. If you need to correct some info on your certificate, you wait for more than a year. If you loose your certificate, you wait for more than a year for a new one...

Anahit,
Thank you again.
I can still not figure out why it is highly recommended to get a certificate because the US passport is the evdience of the US citiznehip which is much faster and easier than to get the certificate through N-600.
By the way, I have looked through your all posts on this topic. Anway, Thank you again.

Aimei

aimei_mei said:
Anahit,
Thank you again.
I can still not figure out why it is highly recommended to get a certificate because the US passport is the evdience of the US citiznehip which is much faster and easier than to get the certificate through N-600.
By the way, I have looked through your all posts on this topic. Anway, Thank you again.

Aimei

well, if the minor reaches his/her 18 yrs old (or 21, whatever the rule is), and if he losts his passport, how is he going to provide he is a US citizen?

for example, if I lost my passport, i need to report it lost. However, how am I going to proof I am a US citizen? the only way I can do is to show my naturalization cert.

It is same as the minor. If they lost their passport, and if they do not have the cert of citizenship, it is very difficult to proof he/she is a US citizen.
Of course, USCIS would have the info; however, would it be easier to just have a cert of citizenship to proof the citizenship?

aimei_mei said:
OCWorker,
Thank U very much for very insghtful comments.
Happy Chinese New year!
Aimei

happy chinese new year to you too.

The "comment" which I posted is only my "guessing". you might want to have another set of comments thou.