Any experience entering India with OCI sticker on old passport when under 19?

PrasadIyer

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I noticed too late that my 18-year old daughter may need a fresh OCI sticker on her recently issued new US passport. I have just one month before leaving for India. I am thinking of two options, namely, apply for a visitor visa for her (can get it relatively quickly), or just take a chance and go to India carrying new passport, OCI card and OCI stamp on expired passport.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Did anyone attempt the second option and what was the experience at the port of entry?

Thanks a lot,
Prasad

I have no experience of the same stated, but I was told that you have to carry the OCI card and the old passport with Uvisa and new passport. or you can apply for a transfer of the U visa to the new passport -but may take some time.

No experience but this is what I would do if I was in your shoes: Take her old US passport with U-sticker and old OCI booklet along. If they question why you have not transferred everything to the new passport, just say you intend to do it once you get back from India and had no time to do it before the trip. The OCI status is lifelong and should not be affected just because your daughter got a new passport.

Hi all,
I noticed too late that my 18-year old daughter may need a fresh OCI sticker on her recently issued new US passport. I have just one month before leaving for India. I am thinking of two options, namely, apply for a visitor visa for her (can get it relatively quickly), or just take a chance and go to India carrying new passport, OCI card and OCI stamp on expired passport.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Did anyone attempt the second option and what was the experience at the port of entry?

Thanks a lot,
Prasad

Should not have any problem . As long as she has her old passport with OCI sticker. My son (16 ) Had no problems .

Any recent travelers to India with OCI in expired passport?

I'm in the same situation, where the OCI stamp is in the expired US passport for my Kid. Can folks who traveled to India recently with OCI stamp on the Old passport please share your experience at Indian Immigration? Thanks!

I went to the Indian Consulate in San Francisco today to get this confirmed and explore any other options (like tourist visa etc.). The official at the counter called some higher official and then asked me to travel with old+new passport and OCI card, if I didn't have enough time to get it transferred. He instructed me to get it done after my return.

I went to the Indian Consulate in San Francisco today to get this confirmed and explore any other options (like tourist visa etc.). The official at the counter called some higher official and then asked me to travel with old+new passport and OCI card, if I didn't have enough time to get it transferred. He instructed me to get it done after my return.

I am in the same boat. Did he give any printed paper or document which says travelling with OCI stamp on expired passport, new passport and OCI card should be fine?

I am in the same boat. Did he give any printed paper or document which says travelling with OCI stamp on expired passport, new passport and OCI card should be fine?

@avsinha, no...there was no official printout provided. But at least, it does seem true that this is not very strictly enforced. Just FYI, I travelled in 2011 with my son in the same situation as now and faced no issues. Seems like this law has been in force for a while now (atleast from 2010 on), and I was unaware of it in 2011.

One of my neighbors had their kid on the same boat. They left for India a couple of weeks back (second week of June 2013) and texted me yesterday that they did not have any problems at the Chennai airport with their kid's U visa on the old passport.

Just keeping my fingers crossed.