• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Any DV 2005 waiting for AOS interview?

majanikol said:
Guys,
Everybody says the same (except for the senator who hasn't responded yet): my FBI name check is still pending. I just can't believe that the FBI is so untouchable and that there is NO way of finding out what is going on and whu they are not sending it back to the local CIS. Do you think that FBI name check might be a good excuse for the locals for not processing our cases? Any thoughts on this issue? :(

Maja,

I agree with you. When I first contacted the congressman's assistent, she told me that they can only find out if the security check is pending. She made it very clear that she cannot expedite the security check.

I don't know what to tell you except write to the director of RMD at FBI (here is a speech of the old director: http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress03/garrity071003.htm).
But now browsing through the website, it seems that there is a new director - Mr. William Hoton of RMD, see: http://www.fbi.gov/libref/executives/asstmain.htm
I believe all directors are located in Washington DC HQ (http://www.fbi.gov/contactus.htm)

This is all I can think of...I keep my fingers X-ed for you and all of us...

sushi

Dear Friends, we have just come back from the local CIS office. My case was approved, although I have no physical evidence of the approval. OK, my I94 was removed. Going back to the beginning. We, my husband, my daughter and myself, had our interview on Wednesday. Went there 20 minutes early and were called in just on time. The officer was pretty serious, no smile at all (which is fine with me). We went to his office. He introduced himself as the adjudication officer, who will adjudicate our case (surprise!). We raised our right hand and promised to tell the truth and only the truth. He had our documents in three piles. First he asked questions from my husband, the principal applicant. He asked his complete name, data of birth, address and where he is working and whether he has been ever affiliated with the communist party (we are from Central Europe). He asked the same questions from me and then from my daughter. Then he started working on the computer and printed out a form with "approved" on it for my husband and then for my daughter. I suspect this was the point when he checked the availability of visa numbers for them. He removed their I94s and said that their cases were approved and that they will receive their GCs in the mail next week. He told me that he cannot approve my case, because he does not have a certified copy of my J2 waiver. But I should get it fast, he suggested. I can mail it or i could bring it in in person on Friday. This was the first day when he did not conduct interviews. He said I don't need an appointment. We went back today and handed in the documents. The immigration officer did not like my having no appointment, but then took the documents and my pasport and said she would ask the officer if he is ready to process my case. After 40 minutes he came out and gave me my pasport saying my case was approved and that I will receive the GC in the mail shortly. I thanked him and that's it.

The above are just the latest developments, I intend to describe and post a more detailed narrative on the more than one year long application process. Some of our problems might have been atypical, but who knows somebody might get stuck with the same problem. A short list of obstacles. I had a J1 visa and had to waive the two-year home residency requirement. The state department misspelled my name and CIS was not processing the waiver because of this. We switched from CP to AOS, so our documents had to be sent by the embassy to CIS. In a roundabout way the documents were eventually sent to CIS, but then CIS thought they did not get the docs they were supposed to get etc.

I am happy it is over, I will be absolutely happy when we have the GCs, because it is then that I will really believe it's over. Please ask questions in case I skipped something.

It's good news, Sushi, that your FBI check is completed, this is really the only thing that can be a justifiable cause for CIS not processing your case. Your congressman could also contact CIS to try to find out what is going on. Would he be ready to do that? Nora

Hi Nora,

I'm glad it's over for you and I think it is time to say CONGRATULATIONS :D !
You seem a little stressed but I'm sure we will congratulate you again next week when you get the GC - everything will be fine!

Yes, the assistant said she will inquire with CIS but I have scheduled Infopass for Tuesday and will let all of you know how it goes.

After such a hard day, I think it's time for you to get a drink and relax ;)

Cheers!
sushi

Sushi,

You have a very good sensor! I am happy, but I am also stressed, but it is mostly about my boss. I went back to your message and saw that your contact promised to make an inquiry at CIS. This is good. I am looking forward to hearing about your progress on Tuesday. Nora

Vermedve said:
Sushi,

You have a very good sensor! I am happy, but I am also stressed, but it is mostly about my boss. I went back to your message and saw that your contact promised to make an inquiry at CIS. This is good. I am looking forward to hearing about your progress on Tuesday. Nora

Congratulations on finally clearing the AOS process and getting approved ! Can u tell us what USCIS office u filed at ? I have my interview coming up next month ...so just curious ..thanks !

No problem,

I filed with Chicago, but since I am in Indiana they forwarded it to Indianapolis. It is a small not very crowded office. Where did you file? Nora

Vermedve said:
I filed with Chicago, but since I am in Indiana they forwarded it to Indianapolis. It is a small not very crowded office. Where did you file? Nora

I sent my papers to chicago lock box as they now require, but I'm in New York City !!! :( Did u have any problems with the name check or did u know if ur name check had cleared before u went for the interview .. ?

I called an FBI number to check the fingerprint results.

They arrived the next day at CIS. I made an Infopass appointment and asked specifically whether the FBI namecheck is completed and the officer was able to check in the computer that it was completed and it did not take long, only a few weeks. I suppose that it might help if you have an unusual name. Nora

Congratulation, Nora! I got my passport stamped but they promissed me a "real" card in two months. Probably you will get your plastic shortly. Please stay in touch, I really hope that everybody from this tread will catch up soon so before end of September we can organize party (on line). Sushi, I read somewhere that they never granted 55,000 lotery visas (always less than that) so I doubt that they can ran out of visas. I really hope they will focus to close cases that are already months in process. Good luck guys!

margarina said:
Congratulation, Nora! I got my passport stamped but they promissed me a "real" card in two months. Probably you will get your plastic shortly. Please stay in touch, I really hope that everybody from this tread will catch up soon so before end of September we can organize party (on line). Sushi, I read somewhere that they never granted 55,000 lotery visas (always less than that) so I doubt that they can ran out of visas. I really hope they will focus to close cases that are already months in process. Good luck guys!

Margarina, where did u have ur interview ?

Maja, I cross my fingers for Sushi on Tuesday. Immigration should tell her something positive, now that she knows her namecheck is completed. They should either request information or documents that they might be missing somehow or give her an interview date. I cross my fingers for you too, I hope your namecheck will be completed soon or your congressman initiates a new one that will be completed in a short time as in Margarina's case. Keep in touch. I will certainly visit this forum every day, it's kind of an addiction by now. Nora

Hi Margarina,
I'm in New Orleans. Actually, I'm not anymore. We had to evacuate, so I'm in Memphis now and I have no idea where I'm going to be in couple of days. Many parts of New Orleans are flooded, there is no electricity.... With all that and everything that I alreday went through with this green card I am almost sure that I'll never get it.
Anyway, thanks for your concern!
Keep in touch and good luck to all of you who are still waiting!

Majanikol, I wish I could help. I loved New Orleans, I visited it two times from Indiana. I cross my thingers for you. Please let us know if you have new developments. Nora

Hi Guys,

As you know I had an Infopass appt today and the officer told me that I AM APPROVED FOR AN IMMIGRANT VISA and very soon I will receive a letter from CIS. The officer said I should go back to them with this letter so they can stamp my passport until I wait for the actual GC.
I am very happy but still cannot believe it since I have no proof of this approval. Hopefully I will have the good news (in writing) in a week...who knows...

Maja,

I hope you will be able to go back to New Orleans because you need to follow up on your case - do not give up! I can imagine what a disaster it is right now because last year I was living in Florida when it was hit by 3 hurricanes in a row. I had no place to evacuate and stayed 10 days without electricity - it was horrible and almost impossible to live.
Unless your apartment/house is sealed by the police, I suggest you go back there and start working on your follow ups with the CIS...
Good luck and I really feel for you :( :( :(
Did you try to contact FBI?

Regards,
sushi

Sushi,

I had no physical proof of being approved either. But I signed up for the automatic email service, that informs you when the status of your case changes. I was told by the officer that I am approved on Friday last week and I got an email message yesterday (four days after I was told I am approved) saying that my case is approved and they ordered a new card for me. My husband and daughter were approved on Wednesday last week and they received their Green Card in the mail yesterday (so six days after they were told they are approved). Keep in touch. Nora