• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Any DV 2005 waiting for AOS interview?

sushi

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

How long is too long?

I am getting so frustrated with the all the waiting…
I submitted the AOS paperwork at the end of January 2005. I got my receipt in the first few days of February. End of February I was done with fingerprinting. Still haven’t got the interview letter. My lawyer submitted an inquiry about 2 weeks ago but he has not received a response yet. I just visited the local USCIS office and was advised to wait for the interview letter until END OF JULY then (if no letter received) visit the local office again - I think waiting until end of July is too much – what do you guys think about this?

Anybody with similar experience? Any ideas on how to expedite the process?
Thank you very much in advance!

Hey sushi,
I'm so glad that there is someone else who is still waiting for the interview. I have nothing particular to share with you except that your case doesn't make me feel any better. :( I got fingerprinted on May 2nd and still I'm waiting for the interview letter. What number do you have? Mine is EU16xxx.
I guess there is nothing we can do but hope, so let's hope together!
Keep in touch!
Maya

Hi Maya,

Same here - I am so frustrated that I can't even explain...
My number is EU17XXX - I guess we, the EUs were kind of unlucky this year - did you see the new cut off for August - it's been staying the same for the past 3 months!
I am even thinking that this slow movement (actually, NO movement at all) of the EU numbers may be the reason for this AOS delay but since I am not an expert - don't take my word for it.

When did you submit your I-485 and which state are you located?

Thanks for your support!

Hi again Sushi,
I am a kind of confused. How come that you had already got fingerprinted even before or at least at the time your number become current. If I recall well, my low 16xxx number became current beginning of February. I filed a couple of days later and got the Receipt Notice around Marc 20th. Got fingerprinted on May 2nd. I am in Louisiana, but I filed everything to Chicago. How about you? Where did you file?
I'm really glad that I'm not alone.
Talk to you later!
Maya

Hi Maya,

I sent my AOS paperwork to Chicago as soon as I saw my number listed in the visa bulletin for March. I think the bulletin for March came up some time in late January and I filed 1 – 2 days later. As soon as I got the receipt (about 10 days after I applied), I scheduled my fingerprinting for end of February (the first available date they offered me when I called the National Customer Service Center at 800 375 5283).

Why did you file your papers in February? I think the visa bulletin for February came up some time in December and you could have filed in December.
I was under the impression that you can file immediately as long as you see on the bulletin that your number will be current in the advanced bulletin for the upcoming months. This is exactly what I did and I hope I did the right thing since my lawyer filed the application for me.

I also wonder why they sent you the receipt in March – more than a month after you filed you application. I thought the receipts were sent about 10 – 14 days after the application was filed but I might be wrong – it could be that my receipt was sent miraculously fast.

Did you have a lawyer to submit your AOS application for you?

Regards,
sushi

Dear Sushi,
I filed the first day my number became current for I read somewhere that some people were rejected because they filed before their # were current. Also, I understood that all people who were participating on this board did the same. (Just to mention that the lawyer told me to sit and wait util my number becomes current and only then to file my I-485. Can you imagine??? Fortunately I didn't listen to her.)
As for the Receipt Notice, when I called them they told me that it can be sent to me up to 6 weeks after the day that they received it. And it happened exactly like that.
As we've both noticed till now there are no rules in this game and the only thing we can do is sit and wait. I don't have a lawyer, but I did send a question to the one who was dealing with my previous status. If he responds, I'll let you know what he said.

majanikol said:
...there are no rules in this game and the only thing we can do is sit and wait...

Unfortunately, this is very true :( :( :(

Thanks for keeping me posted, I will keep you posted too...

Regards,
sushi

Dear Sushi and Maya,

My number is EU14***. I got fingerprinted on May 4th. Every day I am looking forward to seeing the postman and every day I am disappointed. First, I was worried that we cannot visit my family this summer, we have a ticket for 28 July, now I am also worried that we might run out of time. OK, I should say something encouraging. I think if I don't get an invitation until the end of August, I will contact the senator of this state. His office has been helpful to people in similar situtation in the past. I cannot just sit and wait. I suggest you also have ready the contact information of a representative or senator in your state in case the need arises. Let's keep in touch, I am happy I found you. Best, Nora

Hi Nora,

I was thinking to do the same - I have been waiting for more than 4 months now...
Too bad you guys got tickets - what a mess!
I was also planning to leave US for a month but now I'm convinced - it is not happening! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Regards,
sushi

Hi Nora,

Could you please tell me when you filed your I-485 and which state are you located?
Thanks again.

sushi

Sushi,
btw,where are you located and could you also explain the importance of it? I was once told by BCIS representative to follow the processing times for New Orleans where I live, but I don't think that DV "winners" count as "regular" AOS applicants.
Thanks.
Maya

Hi Maya,

I live in VA and I am afraid that the local office here is very busy and may fail to process my case by the end of this FY. I have heard that people who live in the Central US where there aren't so many immigrants, have way better chances to complete AOS on time. So, I was just wondering if I were the only one insane person who is still hoping to complete AOS in such a busy local office – that’s all.

Yes, I agree that DV winners are not subject to the "regular" AOS processing times but not too long ago I saw this web site:

http://dv.semper-ante.com/

and completely freaked out. If you like, share your opinion on this.

Regards,
sushi

Terrific!

Dear Maya and Sushi,

I am living in Indiana but as I have heard, now the Chicago processing center schedules the interviews. So our case can be delayed by the Chicago center not scheduling the interview or our local office being busy. I filed April 4th, had fingerprints done on May 4th, fingerprint results were communicated to BCIS the next day. According to BCIS the processing of this type of case takes 120-180 days. September 31st h will be the 180th day. Theoretically, I could contact BCIS after the 180 days are over, isn't this funny? I find the webpage extremely useful! My first impressions are these. It looks like personnal inquiries are not worth the trouble, the guy got no response after any of his personnal inquiries. I only scanned the page but I might have missed only few cases where he did get a response. I will give this thing further thorough reading. Right now I think I will do the following. If I get no interview date until August, I will contact the senator's office. Name check is very unlikely to be the cause of such a long delay, because 85% of the FBI name checks is resolved in 75 hours and almost all the cases are resolved in three months. In this guy's case (who created the web page) there is some evidence that BCIS lied to him about the name check being delayed. The results of his name check were communicated to BCIS but BCIS simply failed to take action. Also, I hope our cases will be resolved, but in case they will not, we should consider joining forces and ask a lawyer to file a suit not later than middle August. It seems to me that this guy had his case resolved only because he filed a suit. Being a graduate student and having a daughter I am not the most affluent person, but if it comes to it I will borrow money from friends and pay a lawyer to resolve this issue. We invested a lot of money and time into this already, we should not lose it due to a clark's ignoring our case. I am in fighting mode. Nora :cool:

One more thing...

This is from the web page: "We visited INS Chicago District Office on 12/23/02 because a month has passed since the application was processed by INS and we did not receive an appointment for interview. We received appointment notice (setting the interview date for 02/12/03) on 01/06/03."

Maybe we should also contact the office to get the appointment?

Nora

Vermedve said:
Maybe we should also contact the office to get the appointment?
Nora

I tried - it didn't work.

They simply told me to wait and they confirmed that the interview letter will come from a local office, not Chicago (where I originally filed the AOS application.
I believe that it is entirely up to the local office as to when you will be called for the interview. :( :( :(

Dear Sushi,

The web page is a success story, right? How long are you going to wait? It might be that our file is just waiting under a stack of other files.

Dear Nora and Sushi,
Nora, maybe I missed it, but why did you file only in April when your 14xxx number became current earlier?
Another thing, I read once on this board that all the interviews are being scheduled on the 15th of the month, so maybe we'll have our interview dates by the end of June. Do you know anything about that?
Let's hope that teh postman will eventually show up!
:)

Vermedve said:
How long are you going to wait?

This is exactly what I don't know - my first question I posted - how long is too long? What is the reasonable time to expect to be called for an interview after filing for AOS?
I have been waiting for over 4 months - is this normal?
I hope somebody who already has a scheduled interview to tell me what to expect.

Also, Nora keep in mind that the interview (in most cases) is scheduled for about 20-30 days AFTER you receive the interview letter and added to the whole thing it seems like we are REALLY running out of time!

Hey guys,
there is a girl who also has EU # and who filed 11 days before me and who got the interview date end of May scheduled for end of June. On the other hand, recently there was a case in which the person got her interview scheduled only 2 weeks after receiving the letter. Maybe it's not very helpful but at least it gives us some hope!
Keep in touch!

majanikol said:
Another thing, I read once on this board that all the interviews are being scheduled on the 15th of the month, so maybe we'll have our interview dates by the end of June. Do you know anything about that?

No Maya, I haven't heard about such a thing but I think it seems highly unlikely to be true since interviews are conducted in the local offices and it is up to the local office when you will be called for the interview - I guess it depends on their availability as well.