Anesthesiology Resident on J1

Plexus

Dear Forum Members,

I need your expert opinion.
I am presently a PGY 4 Anesthesiology resident on J1.
I recently interviewed for a fellowship position which I have accepted to start July 2009-2010.
While interviewing there I was offered a Job after I finish my fellowship(this would be my dream job)
I looked up the MUA/HPSA and the hospital comes under MUA and the Chairman said that they would do J1 waiver for me.
Just to confirm things I emailed the Public Health Program Administrator for this state and this is what she said
"Even though this hospital is a MUA ,the ratio of Anesthesiologist here,to general population is more than the national average,so even though it is MUA for other specialties,it does not meet the criteria for a J1 waiver in Anesthesiology"
I am crushed....
My question is...
Is there a way around this?
Can the immigration lawyer help?
Can the Sponsor convince them to get me a waiver?

Would appreciate your suggestions!

Unfortunately, it is up to the state health department to decide if they wish to sponsor you for a J1 waiver or not. if you know a local politician, sometimes that helps to convince them to change their minds

Dear Forum Members,

I recently interviewed for a fellowship position which I have accepted to start July 2009-2010.
While interviewing there I was offered a Job after I finish my fellowship(this would be my dream job)
I looked up the MUA/HPSA and the hospital comes under MUA and the Chairman said that they would do J1 waiver for me.
Just to confirm things I emailed the Public Health Program Administrator for this state and this is what she said
"Even though this hospital is a MUA ,the ratio of Anesthesiologist here,to general population is more than the national average,so even though it is MUA for other specialties,it does not meet the criteria for a J1 waiver in Anesthesiology"
I am crushed....
My question is...

Convince your chairman to apply O1 for you. You can get a waiver by O1 w/o going to Underserved area.

Convince your chairman to apply O1 for you. You can get a waiver by O1 w/o going to Underserved area.

You still need to complete 3 years in J1 waiver before you get your Green card. O1 can be extended for indefinite period of time but the three years waiver requirement stays in your way to green card. You will have to do those three years at some point of time.

Dear Forum Members,

I am crushed....
My question is...

No way to get around the state Dep't of health for the State 30 programs for waivers.

You could keep checking each year until you are done since the area has to be HPSA/MUA when you file for a waiver and the state Dep't has to write the support letter then, not now. O1 is an option, but as pointed out only allows you legal status not permanent residency.
Last option is to leave for 2 yrs and come back to your dream job, if you desperately do not want to go to underserved area. Technically they could start a green card sponsorship for you anytime.