Amnesty might be just due...Check out it's history

banta4gc

Registered Users (C)
http://www.numbersusa.com/interests/amnesty_print.html

U.S. Amnesties for Illegal Aliens

Congress has passed 7 amnesties for illegal aliens, starting in 1986.

1. Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA) Amnesty, 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens
2. Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens
3. Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994
4. Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America
5. Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti
6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens
7. LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens
8. Nine current bills are vying to be Amnesty No. 8

>>>>>>>>

No. 7- LIFE Act Amnesty of 2000
The LIFE Act of 2000 that was passed in December, 2000 reinstated Section 245(i) for the first four months of 2001 (Jan-April). The House Immigration Subcommittee estimates that 900,000 aliens applied for adjustment of status in the first full year of the reinstatement.

That was 245(i) of April 2001...which resulted in retrogression on EB categories now!

Well, if one looks at the history and politics of garnering votes in a democratic environment...amnesty bill might be granted some time soon!

banta4gc said:
http://www.numbersusa.com/interests/amnesty_print.html

U.S. Amnesties for Illegal Aliens

Congress has passed 7 amnesties for illegal aliens, starting in 1986.

1. Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA) Amnesty, 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens
2. Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens
3. Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994
4. Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America
5. Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti
6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens
7. LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens
8. Nine current bills are vying to be Amnesty No. 8

>>>>>>>>

No. 7- LIFE Act Amnesty of 2000
The LIFE Act of 2000 that was passed in December, 2000 reinstated Section 245(i) for the first four months of 2001 (Jan-April). The House Immigration Subcommittee estimates that 900,000 aliens applied for adjustment of status in the first full year of the reinstatement.

That was 245(i) of April 2001...which resulted in retrogression on EB categories now!

Well, if one looks at the history and politics of garnering votes in a democratic environment...amnesty bill might be granted some time soon!
so if it happens, will it be good, or worse for us?

Last edited by a moderator:
CoolTiger said:

DOL Backlog - 362,000
Conservative Estimate for getting past the 140 - 160,000
India share(based on 40% H1 consumption) - 64,000
EB3 share (conservative) - 40,000
Pre Apr,01(245i and regular) conervative share - 14,000

With EB3 ROW retrogessed and India EB3 stuck at 2800(1400 primary), it will take atleast 14000/1400 = 10 years for Apr,01 hurdle to clear even by very conservative estimates.

Onless something changes, if you are India EB3 with a PD after April,01 forget about your GC. The writings on the wall are more than clear! Unfortunately!

ONLY Amnesty will save us....

gcwhenever said:

Definitely not good but I'm not sure if it'll be worse.
All amnesties so far have been for illegals and/or asylees.
Go figure.

gcwhenever said:

If you are illegal is good.
If you are legal, you will be put behind the 20+ milliion illegals before getting your GC.

andy garcia said:
If you are illegal is good.
If you are legal, you will be put behind the 20+ milliion illegals before getting your GC.

Will the illegals given direct citizenship? If so then we may not have to wait behind them ... we will go our old fashion way [ or is it the new fashion - almost every one landed illegally here in the old days]

Most amnesties just granted them green cards....and one time waiver of sure-shot deportation during 485 processing...
I don't think they ever offer citizenship directly...

banta4gc said:
Most amnesties just granted them green cards....and one time waiver of sure-shot deportation during 485 processing...
I don't think they ever offer citizenship directly...
You are right, amnesty grants green card. I know a guy at my workplace who benefitted from blanket amnesty in '80s.
Strange thing..........eventhough he is citizen now, his project related security clearance shows the illegal status record.

Amnesty - That is for fence-jumpers and we all very well know, what it did to us last time and if the politicians decide that way,there is not much you could do. But I don't think that amnesty is plausible in this divided political environment.

The push for amnesty is ....free votes for the party who gets this in.....In democracy that can be a great fuel for pushing it in...
Most of these amnesties were granted during economic boom...

I feel, the pressure against amnesty....is the not so great economic shape, the market is in...it's putting pressure on americans and are not so willing to give away their jobs and accept further lower wages in this economy - that might result!

Last edited by a moderator: