American citizenship for someone who already changed his citizenship?

american_dream

Greetings all,

This is a question about the American citizenship.

I would like to know if it is possible to get the American citizenship for someone who already changed his citizenship.

Here is what's happening to me:
Now I have the French citizenship, and I live in Europe. My dream is to become an American because I love this country.

But recently, I found a lot of employement opportunities in Montreal, Canada. There are a lot of companies ready to employ me in Canada.
I understood the best way to stay and work in Canada for some years is to apply for the Canadian citizenship. I have good chances to get the Canadian citizenship as I have good knowledge of the english and french language as well as employement opportunities.
I plan to stay 4 or 5 years in Canada for work.

But then, I will try to achieve my dream, and to go to the USA to live and work and get the American citizenship.

But at that time I would already have changed citizenship from French to Canadian. So I'm wondering, would it still be possible, after that, to get the American citizenship?

Thanks in advance,

A.D.

I think you can take Canadian citizenship or permanent residence and then come to US to get US permanent residence followed by citizenship. Not a problem. But if your goal is to get US citizenship then why you want to waste so many years in Canada? Why not come directly to US on H1/L1 or other visa?

Below is the approx number of years you will waste:

Canadian permanent residence:2yrs
Canadian citizenship:3yrs
US permanent residence:anywhere from 1 to 5 yrs
US citizenship:3 or 5 yrs after permanent residence.
So max time for US Citizenship:2+3+5+5=15yrs

g:)

Last edited by a moderator:
G, thanks for the information.
I would like to go directly to the U.S. but as far as what I saw on employement sites, Canadian companies are recruiting more European people than American companies. Also it is not easy for a frog to become American those days.

It is not more difficult for a French to become US citizen than an English or German or Chinese. There is nothing in US immigration law that restricts French. Currently US people have no animosity against French for not supporting Iraq war.

Just try to find an employer to sponsor visa.

-g:)

Thank you both for your help.
Yes I heard that it is easy to go and work in the USA when you are Canadian and living in Canada. it is much more difficult when you are french and living in Europe. That's one reason why I want to go through Canada first.
Anyway in some weeks I will send a lot of applications to both Canadian and American employers, so if my chances are good with U.S. companies, I will go straith to the land of Freedom !!! :)