Am I qualified for EB1A?

EB1ORNIW

Registered Users (C)
PhD from US, Now Postdoc at a very good univeristy
I have 6 journal papers, all in top journals in my field.
5 of them first authored. 1 second authored.
2 of them in the best journal in chemistry. Impact fact >7
1 was chosed as top 25 hottest paper in another good journal. Impact fact >2
1 patent. option agreement signed with a big chemical company.
24citation by others. 1 paper published 3 years ago got 10 citations, 1 published last year got 9 citation, 1 published last year got 4 citation, 1 just published 6 months ago got 1 citation. 2 just published within 2 months, no citation yet.
reported once by a weekly professional news magazine, a special report covered the recent advances in my field and the author mentioned 3 inventions in my perticular research area, 2 of them are my inventions. The author use one paragraph, actually 2 sentences to describ this. My name was mentioned since the invention was named after me.
one paper was highlighted in another professional journal. The journal use 1 page to describe the significence of my invention and commented on it.

Am I qualified for EB1A?
publications, inventions, media?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 6 journal papers
5 of them first authored.
2 of them in the best journal in my field.
1 was chosed as top 25 hottest paper.
1 patent.
24citation by others.
reported once by a weekly professional news magazine about my invention.
one paper was highlighted in another professional journal.

Am I qualified for EB1A?

I am afraid that you do not meet a minimum of three criteria stipulated by USCIS. You would better improve your credentials and then apply for EB1-EA later or try for NIW. If you are from non-retrogreesed countries, you better file for NIW.

24citation by others. 1 paper published 3 years ago got 10 citations, 1 published last year got 9 citation, 1 published last year got 4 citation, 1 just published 6 months ago got 1 citation. 2 just published within 2 months, no citation yet.
reported once by a weekly professional news magazine, a special report covered the recent advances in my field and the author mentioned 3 inventions in my perticular research area, 2 of them are my inventions. The author use one paragraph, actually 2 sentences to describ this. My name was mentioned since the invention was named after me.
one paper was highlighted in another professional journal. The journal use 1 page to describe the significence of my invention and commented on it.

Am I qualified for EB1A?

I am not an expert- I haven't filed my EB1-A yet. But I think if you can meet 3 criteria, you have very good chances. What is this weekly professional magazine ?. If you can argue that for USCIS criteria #3, then you can do it. If that is the case, then you will qualify for #3, #5 (recommendation letters), and #6 (your papers).

I am not meaning to raise flame here- but most of the time I see people try to put down others EB1 cases. I have seen many getting through EB1 with bare minimal qualifications (while some very good cases denied). So don't get disappointed. It all depends how you present your case. Try it if you can just meet 3 criteria. Worst case you will lose $500.00. The preparation/effort you put will give an advantage for your later filing in OR or other categories.

My suggestion- go for it (if you can fit the article about you in professional magazine to meet USCIS #3).

Short description of the USCIS criteria are here

Good luck,
--HH

The weekly professional magazine is Chemical and Engineering News, a news magazine of American Chemical Society.
The other journal which featured my paper is Synfacts, a professional journal highlights current synthetic organic chemistry.

Am I qualified for EB1A?

I think you better wait for some time for EB1A. Your publications and citations are not sufficient. Moreover experience after Ph.D also counts. You may claim media report as third criteria since it is published in ACS.
Good luck

If you are claiming media reports, you need few more- national newspapers, TV reports, journal reports. . 2 -3 will not suffice and they need to be interviews or reviews of your work and not 2/3 line sentences. Claiming media is not easy. You need to show that media went singing over your work. Inventions are good and they will help you. Papers are also good, even though they are only 6. Your inventions if they are good can compensate for lack of number of papers. 10 citations of a paper are not enough. If you have a solid experience that will help too. But if you are a new post doc and only few years in post doc you cannot show you have a good track record of extraordinary work.If you are from a non retrogressed country (not India or China) then you have a good shot for NIW. EB1 is tough since you do not have all criteria covered fully. Some work maybe required. But if your inventions are good, you can very well make use of them in your application.

Am I qualified for EB1A?

Yes GO FOR EB1A
1)Criteria 1:authorship of scholarly contributions/citation criteria
2)Criteria 2:published Media article about your work
3)Criteria 3: Use Recommendation letters from 5-6 international scientists to say that your work is of EA level.Here letters should refer to you work in papers and also patent/inventions by itself are useless because you need to show profit or usefulness to someone.

You are good to go . just prepare your application well/

I have seen people with weaker background than yours got their EB1A approved and people with much stronger background than yours got their EB1 denied.
The bottomline is you may meet the minimum requirements of EB1A but you may want to improve your credentials as much as you can to improve your chance before you go for it. Everyone's case is unique. As said above, you can not automatically assume your EB1A will be approved just because someone else who has a comparable or weaker background has got their EB1A approved.
In my opinion, you certainly need to improve (1) the number of your publications; (2) the number of citations; (3) try to get some reviewer experience. I remember I saw one guy's NIW case in this forum. He got 4 papers and 96 citations, but his NIW was rejected. Your credential does not seem much stronger than his and I will be cautious for EB1A application if I were you. Just my 2 cents.

I have seen people with weaker background
In my opinion, you certainly need to improve (1) the number of your publications; (2) the number of citations; (3) try to get some reviewer experience.

someone who is researcher in this field has minimum control on citations and being a revewer.So that is ruled out. AT the most some papers can be written and only then citations count more than papers.so basically you dont have any way of improving your EB1 application in next one year except maybe get a big Award.
Also I am sure you have conference abstracts presentations that are also counted as papers if presented in big meetings

I agree with drak70
We have very limited control over citations, you just wait until somebody references your paper.
But we can get more publications by working hard and may be a stronger paper would get morecitations than a weaker one.
I have a question on my application, I have posted my credentials in another thread and got very helpful comments and advises. Thanks to all.
I am preparing my NIW. (In addition to all the advises I got, I am not from a retrogressed country so both 1st and 2nd employemnt are being processed at the same time according to the current visa bulletin)
I am worried about one thing though: my Ph.D and my current postdoc were and are supervised by the same professor (and at the same US university) and therefore all my publications are also with him (with me being the first author in most of them). Does this hurt my application???
Note that I collected strong letters from NIH officers and individual professors worldwide which I hope would do me good.
Thank you
hnks

I agree with drak70
my Ph.D and my current postdoc were and are supervised by the same professor (and at the same US university) and therefore all my publications are also with him (with me being the first author in most of them). Does this hurt my application???
Note that I collected strong letters from NIH officers and individual professors worldwide which I hope would do me good.
Thank you
hnks

No that should not matter
for NIW the focus is what you have done for the country already (USA) but its good to get letter from other universities in USA. '

(Just ask , even people who are your research competitors will gladly give you recommendation.. I send email to 40 unknown people got 10 replies ,converted them to letters after they talked to my supervisor and get them them to write in their letters on recommendation " donot know him personally but only thru work". The Letter-writer thinks they are covering their bases, the USCIS thinks its very strong letter because there is no personal involvement:) )

drak 70
I noticed that you just applied Eb1 and Eb2 NIW.
Do you mind telling us how did you organize your petition, I assume it was self petition, is that right?
TO be more clear, what is the order of your evidences? What did you include after the cover letter?
Give us hints on how you physically organized your petition, what kind of folders did you use, did you staple anything? You know those kind of things.
thank you

drak 70
I noticed that you just applied Eb1 and Eb2 NIW.
Do you mind telling us how did you organize your petition, I assume it was self petition, is that right?
TO be more clear, what is the order of your evidences? What did you include after the cover letter?
Give us hints on how you physically organized your petition, what kind of folders did you use, did you staple anything? You know those kind of things.
thank you

I just read all the replies on this BBs for couple of months to get an idea.Then went thru couple of RFE fron USCIS to get an idea why they rejected.I needed to send the application an hurry to beat the 140 deadline for july so can be defintely improved.
Tabbed(separated) according to criteria evidence: was not sure where to place the hole properly so I did not do it.
I had 350 pages evidence each of 5 criteria (about 5-70 pages long),

1-page cover letter then
7-page detailed exhibit list referencing the criteria
21- pages the language of the petition was as any AAO decision format:
EB1 petiton:
legal Category applied
Brief decription about myself and my academic qualifications (doctorate from india): I paragraph
Current immigrant status
Importance of my research to US and world
Criteria I am not applying for :I wrote this specifically
Criteria I am specifically applying for :
A)Award
B)Membership:
C)Published Material: By name : In press release,CD ROM for journal ,another Bulletin in UK

Published Material: By work :Science,JAMA, Newspapers in US,UK,Germany and Australia

D)Authorship: Most important is Citations:I have more than 150 citations for my co-authored papers excluding self citations
Information provided:
first page of paper
Impact factor
Circulation figures
relative ranking in the field
Citation index
45 Conference presentations: 5 first author ,1 recieved award at International meeting so that got bumped bumped to award criteria
No First author so I had to reference specific AAO decisions that first author paper are not necesary

Scientific contributions (15):

I selected 15 contributons and asked two people to write about each contributions in their letters in .Some specifically mention I donot know him personally.It important that you tell the letter writers these are not character reference.USCIS is least bothered about your potential and hard work. They want to know specifically what have already done.

Recommendation letter from Professors in other countries Austria ,Australia,Denmark,Sweden,Turkey , Germany ,Canada ,Belgium,(None from my home country India :) . UCLA,NYU , Case Western, Merck.,Lilly,AstraZe,besides Recommendation letter from my home Institute where I am a junior faculty : (A top research University in Northeast USA)

NIW Petition Format is based on NYDOT decision
EB2NIW petiton:
1. Legal Category applied
2. Academic Credentials:Brief decription about myself and my academic qualifications (doctorate from india): I paragraph
3. Field of expertise:
4. Current immigrant status
5. The petitioners work is in area of substantial intrinsic merit
6. The benefits of petitioners work is national in scope:
7. The national interest of the US will be adversely affected if a labor approval is required from the petitioner.
8. The petitioner request for a national interest waiver is not based on a labor shortage of qualified workers in the given field.
9. Petitioner expertise is significantly above his peers.
10. Significant contributions to the field:
Membership in professional associations :
Authored scholarly papers in peer reviewed journals and their citation history
Recognition by published material about petitioners work
Recognition for significant contributions to the field by peers at academic universities
Recognition for significant contributions to the field by peers at US companies
Recognition (award ) for achievements by professional organization :

Note: my O-1 petition was only 75 pages long .O-1 is similar to EB1 so its difficult but not unheard of to turn it down.As back up I filed a EB2-NIW petition with the same evidence because you really dont know what they are looking for.

I just read all the replies on this BBs for couple of months to get an idea.Then went thru couple of RFE fron USCIS to get an idea why they rejected

I needed to send the application an hurry to beat the 140 deadline for july
1-page cover letter then
7-page detailed exhibit list referencing the criteria
5-Tabbed(separated) according to criteria evidence

Hi Drak,
You are already on O1 visa. Can you please post your credentials.
Good luck.