am I behind? how to check i485 status and what they are waiting?

bobyang3

Registered Users (C)
First I want to give a summary of my case:
EB3
priority Date - Sep 2001
labor C. - approved on Oct 2004
I140 - Applied on Dec 2004
I485 - Applied on Dec 2004
I140 - Approved on June 2006
I485 - Waitting...

1. the current processing date in Texas Service Center for I485 is May 2006 so I am about 2 years behind my Applied date?

2. https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp doesn't give out very detail information. is there a way to get into more detail about why my case is holding for so long? and where is the case get stopped? for example, how do you knwo your case is holding in FBI name check?

thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
June1506 said:
Your priority date is not current.

thank you. does this mean I am behind or not my date yet? what should I do now? do I need to resubmit i485 again?

by the way, I check the piority date is Jun 02 for EB3 in visa bullitin. My attoney submit i485 in Dec 2004 the piority date was "C" that time.

thank you!

ok. Check for your country of birth what priority date is USCIS is working on from the bulletin? If it is already a few months since your PD has become current and USCIS is not responding, you can call the National customer service and try to find out what is going on with your case. You don't need to refile I-485

thank you!

I am not within those countries so the current priority date is Jun02 shown on the visa bulletin.

sorry, I don't really understand what "current" mean. does it mean this, CSCIS only works on my i485 if my priority date on the receipt is earlier than visa bulletin?

if so, which mean they start working on my i485 and will take time to process, such as name check (I heard namecheck can take up to 5 years). or it means they have done i485 and all other processes they are just waitting to reach my priority date to give me a seat for greencard?

thank you!

June1506 said:
ok. Check for your country of birth what priority date is USCIS is working on from the bulletin? If it is already a few months since your PD has become current and USCIS is not responding, you can call the National customer service and try to find out what is going on with your case. You don't need to refile I-485

Yes. USCIS process I-485 when the priority date on your I-140 is earlier than the one State department publishes in their visa bulletin. How long the service takes to process your application depends on your luck. If your are lucky you could get it quickly. If not then you can initiate enquiry with Senator/Congerssman and as a last resort you can even sue them.

You had FP3 in 12/2006. So, it looks like they are working on your case and the decision on your application could be quite near.

June1506: thank you for your information. I read a lot people talking about congressman for namecheck but I dont' really understand that part. how do you get a hold with a congressman? I don't know any congressman. :(

KMax: thank you, I really hope so but my attoney told me the USCIS's computer generates a FP every 14 months. therefore, he said it doens't mean anything just means my 14 months is reached.

Do a google search for the Congressman/Senator in your state. They have websites and disclosure forms. Just fill in the form for Constituent Services/USCIS and fax to their office/ follow instruction in their website and they will take care from then on. They have staff for this service and they will send fax to Congressional dept in USCIS and get hold on your case. Sometimes there is only so much a Senator can do and in any case they will reply by mail to inquiry in their letter head.

bobyang3 said:
but I dont' really understand that part. how do you get a hold with a congressman? I don't know any congressman. :(

You do not need to know the Congressmen. Do a google serach on the word Congressmen. If you know you zip code you can find the person. His office knows all about immigration. Usually they help.

thank you, number30 and June1506!

is congressmen the same as Representative Offices?
eg.
congressmen???

if the above link is correct,I found this form online but not sure if it is correct because I didn't see any place asking me why I submit the form.

thank you!

background investigation = name check?

I got a letter from USICS about my case has been delayed because of "background investigation" I just wonder if this is the same thing as FBI name check?

thank you!