Alternative to Marriage Certificate - Suggestion required

deepabhaskar

What can I do if I am unable to get a copy of Marriage
certificate for processing immigration documents for
H4 VISA?

Details of the Problem:

I am deputed by Infosys Ltd to CapitalOne Bank, McLean, Virginia on H1B VISA. I plan to get my husband here on Spouse/Dependent VISA (H4 VISA). I am unable to get Marriage Certificate as we had not registered our Marriage. We got married on 8th October 2005. Now, when my husband contacted the ‘Registrar of Marriage’ to register the Marriage now in order to obtain a Certificate, I was categorically denied stating that my physical appearance before the Registrar of Marriage is mandatory, which is not feasible now.

Hence, I kindly request you to inform me what is the
appropriate & acceptable Alternative of Marriage
Certificate for processing immigration documents for
H4 VISA?

Please take a note that I am in US & my husband is in
Bangalore.

Thanks in advance,
Deepa
Ph:208-571-3592
deepabhaskar@yahoo.com

In case husband is not able to make physical appearance, they allow by getting an affidavit from Husaband's side which was in case of my brother too.

They gave marriage cert. by getting affidavit from husband's side and physical appearance of bride. However yours case its visa versa so I am not sure. May be you can try out this option as well.

Also now I guess another rule has come up for Marriage certificate, both bride's and groom's parents must also sign an affidavit and must make a physical appearance in Registrar office.

Proper Channel

For Marriage Certificate,
Wedding Cards, Photo, some witness are more than enough.

If you are getting married infront of registrar then obivously both needs to be present.

When they mean that "you need to be there", they are trying to play it hard. If you want to fight go to top level officer. But problem is that they will find some new reason to delay this as much as possible.

Check if you know someone in that office.

Best option is that check with CHAPARASI, he will make sure that your application is COMPLETE and officer is PRESENT. It may cost you little bit but with current situation that is best option. Do not tell/show that you want it right away because that will increase your cost.