Already owning agriculture property, any problem

punyavan

Registered Users (C)
I plan to take my US citizenship and then the OCI. I already own some agriculture property in India. Will it be a problem?

I read the rule as OCI person should not acquire or transfer agricultural and farming properties. So what happens if one is already owning agricultural property at the time of getting the OCI.

Please advise and help.
Thanks,
babuts

Same Question

I plan to take US citizenship and then take OCI card. Any problems with my existing agricultural properties? I read the rule also as "punyavan" specified below. Can someone please reply to this

I am in the opposite boat

I want to give up my foreign citizenship and revert to Indian. I dont want to wait for OCI, 5 years wait etc and try to get Indian citizenship by claiming and buying Agricultural land or a farm etc.

Any one know if this can be done and the names of some good immigration lawyers in India?

Thanks

I am planning to take up Australian Citizenship and OCI card next year.

My mother has a small farm (I am the only offspring) in India.

Would I be able to inherit this farm and register it in my name when I have the OCI card or should I try to register it in my name now ?

Appreciate inputs from anyone who is aware of such laws.

punyavan said:
I plan to take my US citizenship and then the OCI. I already own some agriculture property in India.
Will it be a problem?
---------------NO you had that agriculture property in India Before you became US citizen
I read the rule as OCI person should not acquire or transfer agricultural and farming properties.
So what happens if one is already owning agricultural property at the time of getting the OCI.
------------ not a problem
Please advise and help.
Thanks,
babuts

wodeyar said:
I am planning to take up Australian Citizenship and OCI card next year.

My mother has a small farm (I am the only offspring) in India.

Would I be able to inherit this farm and register it in my name
--------------YES
when I have the OCI card

or should I try to register it in my name now ?
---better do it now but Inheritance is not a problem even after you take other country citizenship. FYI 60% family immigration to Canada is from North India they have land in north India when they immigrate to Canada they take Canada citizenship after 3 years and it has no problem for them having Farms or agricultral land in India.
*** FYI who asks the at the time of registration or at the office of sub-registar if you are citizen or not citizen, they dont ask for passport (PAN card is must and anybody can get PAN card)

Appreciate inputs from anyone who is aware of such laws.

vtadi said:
I plan to take US citizenship and then take OCI card.
Any problems with my existing agricultural properties?
------NO

I read the rule also as "punyavan" specified below. Can someone please reply to this

http://www.femaonline.com/nricorner/immovable_prop.htm

Acquisition by way of inheritance :

General permission is granted for inheritance of immovable property including agricultural land, plantation or farm-house property from

a person resident in India, or

person resident outside India who may be an Indian citizen or foreign citizen of Indian origin provided such person had acquired said property in accordance with the provisions of Foreign Exchange Law in force at the time of acquisition. i.e. FERA, 1973 or FEMA 1999.

Hence Agricultural land, plantation or farmhouse property can be acquired by way of inheritance only.