allowed travel length for advance parole holders

mtsaha

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have advance parole from my pending I-485. My status pending I-485 and I am working with my EAD. I want to visit India. Can I go for 1 month? What is the maximum allowed absence from USA while I-485 is pending and advance parole is valid?

I do not remember what I entered for "expected trip length" in my I-131 application.

Thanks,
M-Saha

For AOS applicants, advance parole is basically equivalent to a re-entry permit except if the I-485 is denied while abroad and one is otherwise ineligible for admission into the U.S. Even with advance parole one must always be otherwise eligible for admission and even if allowed back into the U.S. by mistake, unlawful presence (ULP) bars kick in after you first exit the U.S., advance parole does not protect you against that and if one has ULP, advance parole is out of the question. You are only safe to travel after obtaining LPR status if ULP is not a problem for you. Only a handful of nonimmigrant visa categories afford the opportunity to travel while an I-485 is pending without requiring advance parole.
8 CFR § 245.2 Application.

(a) General —(1) Jurisdiction. USCIS has jurisdiction to adjudicate an application for adjustment of status filed by any alien, unless the immigration judge has jurisdiction to adjudicate the application under 8 CFR 1245.2(a)(1).
(4) Effect of departure —(i) General. The effect of a departure from the United States is dependent upon the law under which the applicant is applying for adjustment.

(ii) Under section 245 of the Act.

(A) The departure from the United States of an applicant who is under exclusion, deportation, or removal proceedings shall be deemed an abandonment of the application constituting grounds for termination of the proceeding by reason of the departure. Except as provided in paragraph (a)(4)(ii)(B) and (C) of this section, the departure of an applicant who is not under exclusion, deportation, or removal proceedings shall be deemed an abandonment of the application constituting grounds for termination of any pending application for adjustment of status, unless the applicant was previously granted advance parole by the Service for such absences, and was inspected upon returning to the United States. If the adjustment application of an individual granted advance parole is subsequently denied the individual will be treated as an applicant for admission, and subject to the provisions of section 212 and 235 of the Act.

(B) The travel outside of the United States by an applicant for adjustment who is not under exclusion, deportation, or removal proceedings shall not be deemed an abandonment of the application if he or she was previously granted advance parole by the Service for such absences, and was inspected and paroled upon returning to the United States. If the adjustment of status application of such individual is subsequently denied, he or she will be treated as an applicant for admission, and subject to the provisions of section 212 and 235 of the Act.

(C) The travel outside of the United States by an applicant for adjustment of status who is not under exclusion, deportation, or removal proceeding and who is in lawful H–1 or L–1 status shall not be deemed an abandonment of the application if, upon returning to this country, the alien remains eligible for H or L status, is coming to resume employment with the same employer for whom he or she had previously been authorized to work as an H–1 or L–1 nonimmigrant, and, is in possession of a valid H or L visa (if required). The travel outside of the United States by an applicant for adjustment of status who is not under exclusion, deportation, or removal proceeding and who is in lawful H–4 or L–2 status shall not be deemed an abandonment of the application if the spouse or parent of such alien through whom the H–4 or L–2 status was obtained is maintaining H–1 or L–1 status and the alien remains otherwise eligible for H–4 or L–2 status, and, the alien is in possession of a valid H–4 or L–2 visa (if required). The travel outside of the United States by an applicant for adjustment of status, who is not under exclusion, deportation, or removal proceeding and who is in lawful K–3 or K–4 status shall not be deemed an abandonment of the application if, upon returning to this country, the alien is in possession of a valid K–3 or K–4 visa and remains eligible for K–3 or K–4 status.

(D) The travel outside of the United States by an applicant for adjustment of status who is not under exclusion, deportation, or removal proceeding and who is in lawful V status shall not be deemed an abandonment of the application if, upon returning to this country, the alien is admissible as a V nonimmigrant.

8 CFR § 212.5 Parole of aliens into the United States.

(c) In the case of all other arriving aliens, except those detained under §235.3(b) or (c) of this chapter and paragraph (b) of this section, those officials listed in paragraph (a) of this section may, after review of the individual case, parole into the United States temporarily in accordance with section 212(d)(5)(A) of the Act, any alien applicant for admission, under such terms and conditions, including those set forth in paragraph (d) of this section, as he or she may deem appropriate. An alien who arrives at a port-of-entry and applies for parole into the United States for the sole purpose of seeking adjustment of status under section 245A of the Act, without benefit of advance authorization as described in paragraph (f) of this section shall be denied parole and detained for removal in accordance with the provisions of §235.3(b) or (c) of this chapter. An alien seeking to enter the United States for the sole purpose of applying for adjustment of status under section 210 of the Act shall be denied parole and detained for removal under §235.3(b) or (c) of this chapter, unless the alien has been recommended for approval of such application for adjustment by a consular officer at an Overseas Processing Office.

(f) Advance authorization. When parole is authorized for an alien who will travel to the United States without a visa, the alien shall be issued Form I–512.

*********************************************************************************

8 CFR § 223.3 Validity and effect on admissibility.

(d) Effect on admissibility —(1) Reentry permit. A permanent resident or conditional permanent resident in possession of a valid reentry permit who is otherwise admissible shall not be deemed to have abandoned status based solely on the duration of an absence or absences while the permit is valid.

Last edited by a moderator: