All you wanted to know about filing PERM

gcmail

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,

I am going to start the process for filing a PERM LC. I HAVE to have the application filed by 1st May 2006 ( due to my 6 yrs getting over) - can you please help me watch out for things that commonly go wrong and cause delay.
By listing this in a seperate thread, I hope we can share this information to new folks like myself.

Thanks!

PS - if someone could list a process ( Step 1 - do this . X, Y, Z can go wrong in Step 1), etc

that would be great!

Make sure you finalize the Job Desc quickly and that your PWD request is sent ASAP. If you are comfortable with your wage then you can start your Advt etc., and simultaneously go ahead with PWD, SWA.

Thanks Prvid for ur reply -

So the step by step process is something like this ( I am fine with the wage part- its for a senior position) ?

1) Send PWD request ( to SWA?) - this will take 4-8 weeks?

2) Simultaneously do the advt.

3) Once PWD is completed - file for PERM ( what is the output from step 1 ?)

PWd goes to the state's DOL. I am not sure where the SWA goes. Also your timeline of 4-8 weeks depends on where you are. The SWA takes the longest time - 30 days of the posting and 30 days of waiting after that. The PWD and SWA are minimum requirements of PERM filing. That is the output.

One thing that can cause delay

Big problem to labor certs: you got to remember applicants to the adverts and postings. They must be contacted fairly within certain time frames. If there are qualified US workers remember your employer cant file!!!

This is in regards to my 6 yrs of H1 expiring - My 1 year deadline is in May 2006 ( ie my h1 expires on May 1 2007)

What happens if I miss my deadline to file by May 1 2006 - but still have my Labor approved before end of 2006 and have also filed for I 140

- would I still have to leave the country?

Once your I140 is approved and you are unable to file for I485 because of your priority date not being current, you are eligible to apply for a 3 year H1 extension.

Thanks Creative10

So, even if I cant file before the 1st May 2006 deadline, if my PERM is approved by say December 2006 - I should be fine, assuming that I-140 is approved in 3-4 months - which is what I think is the expected time for I140 approval, correct?

THat is correct. If it cuts close, you could recapture the time you spent outside of teh US, while you were on the H1