Alien ID for marriage

McPheever

Registered Users (C)
My boyfriend and I went to the courthouse to get our marriage licsence today and the lady had printed off the paper and we were signing our names and ssn's. I told her that I didn't have a ssn and she told me that I had to get an alien id card in order to get a marriage liscence. I can't really find out that much information on the internet.

I'm in South Carolina, are all states like this?

McPheever said:
My boyfriend and I went to the courthouse to get our marriage licsence today and the lady had printed off the paper and we were signing our names and ssn's. I told her that I didn't have a ssn and she told me that I had to get an alien id card in order to get a marriage liscence. I can't really find out that much information on the internet.

I'm in South Carolina, are all states like this?

Hi:

I am of course not familiar with South Carolina law, but this sounds like erroneous information to me (if she is implying that you need a resident alien card - I551). Did she perhaps mean a foreign ID, such as a passport?

What she said is that I needed either a Social Security # or an alien id. I asked her where I go to get one and she didn't seem too sure herself. The other lady who was in there told me to go to the congressman, but his office to closed until the 22nd.

I'm going to go there tomorrow to the court house tomorrow and see if a passport is enough.

ok thanks... :)

that puts me at ease, when i go tomorrow i'm going to talk to someone else. when this lady forst took my information, she didn't even realized tat I was Canadian when it's on my driver's liscence.

Last edited by a moderator:
McPheever said:
ok thanks... :)

that puts me at ease, when i go tomorrow i'm going to talk to someone else. when this lady forst took my information, she didn't even realized tat I was Canadian when it's on my driver's liscence.

McPh,

The lady was wrong in giving you this erroneous information. :confused: A valid license is all that you need for marriage license. How do I know she was wrong? She told you to contact your congressman, I have never knew a congressman to be issuing a ssd. Leave the congressman alone, the lady is a nut... :(

You can't get a marriage license without an ID, that's for sure. I wonder how many people who come to the US on tourist visas and get married without a need for a social security card, and till they get their paperwork done, wouldn't be issued a SSC. :eek: The lady wanted to give you a run-around. If possible, go to NC and get married there. No one is going to give you bull...

Good luck :)

Al Southner said:
McPh,

The lady was wrong in giving you this erroneous information. :confused: A valid license is all that you need for marriage license. How do I know she was wrong? She told you to contact your congressman, I have never knew a congressman to be issuing a ssd. Leave the congressman alone, the lady is a nut... :(

You can't get a marriage license without an ID, that's for sure. I wonder how many people who come to the US on tourist visas and get married without a need for a social security card, and till they get their paperwork done, wouldn't be issued a SSC. :eek: The lady wanted to give you a run-around. If possible, go to NC and get married there. No one is going to give you bull...

Good luck :)

Where are you from??? I was just looking up marriage requirements for NC and SC and they do both specifically say that you need a valid DL and a SSN. But Georgia says all you need to 2 ID's and SSN isn't specificied. So I guess if we have to we'll just have to go to Georgia!

You don't need SS number to get a marriage license. They only need a photo Id either your canadian driver license or a passport should be fine. The lady either didn't know about the rules or she acted like a racist cuz what she meant by Alien ID is Green Card. If they don't issue a license to you get married in some other city and you can even file complain against them.

The lady is wrong!!! :eek: I am in North Carolina. Also you can file online and they have your information in the system when you go to get marriage license. You don't need SSN, take your passport and any pic id that you have. I didn't have a SSN I used my passport. You will need to prepare an affidavit stating that you don't have SSN, get it notarized. This is what I had to do.

The lady is wrong!!! :eek: I am in North Carolina. Also you can file online and they have your information in the system when you go to get marriage license. You don't need SSN, take your passport and any pic id that you have. I didn't have a SSN I used my passport. You will need to prepare an affidavit stating that you don't have SSN, get it notarized. This is what I had to do.

Which County are you in South Carolina? State of SC has removed the requirement of SS number since 1992. I just went through the state of SC website and searched for marriage and it returned lots of articles and one of them was this bill passed by them in 1992.

Skau: I'm in the county of Sumter. Thanks for looking it up too ;) That lady had me so stressed out today lol. When I go in tomorrow I'll tell them about the bill.

NeShawn: Can I write the affdavit myself or do I have to take it to a lawyer??? I appreciate the info I'm going to go get this done in the morning.

I searched a little more, the bill I was talking about was never inacted as law but in some other counties you can use your passport also. Good luck.

Get off your butt...

McPheever said:
Where are you from??? I was just looking up marriage requirements for NC and SC and they do both specifically say that you need a valid DL and a SSN. But Georgia says all you need to 2 ID's and SSN isn't specificied. So I guess if we have to we'll just have to go to Georgia!

Mc, :(

Don't be a jerk... :mad: I know what I am taking about, before you take the website information as gospel, did you check when last was the website updated?

You don't need a SS # to be married or issued a marriage license in this country. You just need to bring your pig head to a local district court. :eek: How many people get married in Vegas without SS # but their picture ID.

NeShawn is in NC, and he just finished his AOS process, so maybe you can get off your butt and do what he suggest... :eek:

Al,

No I wasn't being a jerk at ALL! :) But I can see how you thought that. I was really asking where you were from in the south??? Sorry if it came across that way!

skau said:
I searched a little more, the bill I was talking about was never inacted as law but in some other counties you can use your passport also. Good luck.

Thanks! I'll have to call around if I can't do it here in Sumter, thanks 4 the info.