Airport Transit Visa - Paris

Madman72

Registered Users (C)
Hallo Folks,

I am planning on applying for an Airport Transit Visa (ATA) at France Consulate in Newyork. I am making a trip to India through Air-India. I have a valid I-551 PP stamping but dont have actual Green Card. Upon sending e-mails to the France consulate at different location, I got reply saying that I need to get one.

My question: Anyone here applied ATA in Newyork consulate, please let me know information about what are all the documents that I need to carry and few tips.

Chubber_singh,
Hope you have reached home (india) safely.

Thanks in advance.

~Mad

Madman72 are you sure we need transit visa for france?
My wife went to india with stamping?
we recieved the GC after she left to india?
she will be back in feb?
can you post the email sent by france to you?

E-Mail from NY French Consulate...

Hallo, This is regarding clarification needed if I need to apply for a Airport Transit Visa. Following are the details of my information.

Country of Citizenship: India

Currently Residing: New Jersey, USA

Visa Status in USA: I-551 passport stamping completed on Dec 3rd 2004 and

Valid for ONE YEAR. Travel: Traveling a Round trip through AIR-INDIA airlines from Newjersey,USA to Chennai, India between Jan 11th 2005 and returning back to USA on Feb 1st 2005 through Paris airport. I will be in the international airport for less than 3 hours.

Question: Do I need to apply for AIRPORT TRANSIT VISA?

YES
http://www.consulfrance-newyork.org/us/visas/airporttransit.htm

I called up Boston, Atlanta and Houston office. All of them advised me to apply for ATA.

But the worse part is, When I spoke to Boston Consulate last week they told me I dont require ATA.

Damn....

~Mad

pv1976 said:
Just apply the transit visa. Its not very costly. Why take risks.

Yeah I know... Though it costs $47 to apply for ATA thru Paris. Wish I fly theu Germany where they charge only $13.

Anyway, I dont want to take a chance unless "chubber_singh" reached home safely and reply back to this posting.

Hee hee :D

~Mad

Madman72 it's good to have transit visa.
But i am worried about my wife as she went to india witout transit visa?
If there is no way i have to mail the GC to her?

tiger2025 said:
Madman72 it's good to have transit visa.
But i am worried about my wife as she went to india witout transit visa?
If there is no way i have to mail the GC to her?

You mean, you have the actual Green card (of ur wife) with you. I would suggest you send the Green Card thru FEDEX/DHL in a insured/secured way. Having Physical Green Card get rid of transit visa problem.

Only concern, you need to worry about is that, the package shouldnt get lost.

~Mad

tiger2025 said:
yes she got GC after she went to india.
I can send by fedex but worried about getting lost?

I can handle the Delivery Job if you can get me the Airport Transit Visa. Deal?? :D :D

~Mad

Just to keep this post alive and to get feedback from some experienced persons here.

I just called Air-India, they said we will be staying inside the flight in Paris for refueling. Hmmmm...

~Mad

Madman72 said:
Just to keep this post alive and to get feedback from some experienced persons here.

I just called Air-India, they said we will be staying inside the flight in Paris for refueling. Hmmmm...

~Mad

First ask the flier - Air India. If the flier says you don't need visa - try to have in writing.
And if they say you need Visa that means you need to have one otherwise the flier will not let you board the flight. That is what should happen.

Also if you are able to board the flight (by chance) and you need to have Visa and you don't have one, the flier gets penalised for not informing you. And you would have to sit in immigration port in Germany or any country to prove that you didn't have any malign interest for not taking the Visa. By malign interest I mean you didn't have intention to migrate to that country without visa or take asylm.

Now how do I know this. Because I have experience. In 2001 I was going to Japan via Canada. I was on H1-B that time. I didn't know I had to take Canadian transit visa nor did the flier told me when I booked the ticket. I reached canada on the auspicious day. And when I saw myself being led to immigartion line, I got worried. After that I had to sit there for 2 hours to prove that I was in transit and had no idea that I have to take canadian visa. It was not difficult but not good. At the port they gave me 2 day transit visa. And I could continue my journey. While I was there I saw couple being led for interrogation. I hope you don't want to know there story.

One thing I would like to warn you - You need Visa and you don't have one based on situation immigration authority will decide whatever they want to do with you. You may be behind bar? Possible - I think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Madman72

Yesterday called my wife.she had no problem at paris.They just looked at passport and any valid documents for travel.They did not ask for tranist visa?
She said you will stay in plan.Security(not immigration people) people will come and check.She is not worried while coming back because I551 is a valid travel and work document.

Thanks
tiger2025

tiger2025 said:
Madman72

Yesterday called my wife.she had no problem at paris.They just looked at passport and any valid documents for travel.They did not ask for tranist visa?
She said you will stay in plan.Security(not immigration people) people will come and check.She is not worried while coming back because I551 is a valid travel and work document.

Thanks
tiger2025

Thank you very much for this information. I will also follow the same.

Quickly, Does Air-India asks your wife anything before we board the flight? Sorry i always comeup with all kinda questions... :D

Thanks again.

~Mad

Air-India did not ask anything while boarding just checked the passport.
In india also she had no problem they just checked the passport and PIO card and passport of my son.

I think we are good while going to india,but not sure for return journey

IN Paris by Air India we are not even allowed to go out of the plane. right? We need this Transit Visa even if we sit inside the plane??

tiger2025 said:
yes she got GC after she went to india.
I can send by fedex but worried about getting lost?

Why to take risk sending plastic card by FedEx.

Tell your wife to go to French consulate in India and apply for a visa.