Airport Transit for Frankfurt

chakmur

Registered Users (C)
My H1B stamping on my passport is long gone and I planning to travel to India thru Frankfurt (Lufthansa)using my AP.I believe, Ciitizens of India require a Airport Transit visa if they do not possess a valid visa( I guess, they need a valid stamping on the passport). Has anybody faced this situation and how was the experience to get a visa. Any help in this regard would be more than appreciated. Also , do we have to apply in person?...

Recheck..

My wife had a trip to India on AP (her H4 expired long ago). She did n't seem to have any problems during Frankfurt transit. I don't think you require to have a valid visa stamp on the passport.
But, since you got a doubt in your mind, check with other sources as well..

My Travel Agent actually told me........

I guess SCHENGEN countries have started this new phenomenon. My travel agent informed me of this requirement and my friend had to get a similar thing done for Paris(France) about 2 weeks back( He was not issued aboarding pass in Atlanta without the Visa!!!!!!!). When did your wife travel. The German consular office web site clearly states that you need to have a valid visa to waive this requirement. I guess valid visa means valid stamping. I am going to check with German consular office tomorrow morning. They actaully work only from 9:00AM to 12:00PM. That will clear off a lot of doubts. But if it needs to be acquired, it is going to be a real in PIA for a lot of people from now on......

For the benefit of others here is the web site URL...

http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/info/consular_services/visa.html

Not very recent...
She went in Nov and came back to US on 27th Jan. Its been few weeks already.. Rules might have changed. According to her no one has verified anything in Frankfurt.

Sajyra

My wife also travelled during Nov. If AP is available, you need not get Transit Visa. You can call the consulate nearest to you 9there is one in NY) and find out the latest.

Please inform..

Chakmur,

Your posting is really very informative, I am also in the same boat.

After seeing this thread I sent an E-mail to the German Consular at atlanta@germany-info.org asking this question.

I'm not sure whether I may get any reply or not, If you come to know anything about this Please Reply to me.

Thanks,

:confused:

R U GETTING OUT OF AIRPORT

ARE U GOING TO GET OUT OF THE AIRPORT...

U need a Visa only if U are going to get out of the airport..
If your flight is in a few hours it doesnt matter...
My wife travelled sometime back (3 wks) and she had no probs...

Think of transit visa only if you need to leave the airport terminal.

Regd France...Many time U need to change terminals to catch connecting flights...
This has always been a problem at France...but not in Frankfurt..

Here is the transcript of the German Consular office web site...

Airport Transit in Germany

Visa needed?

Entry clearance requirements are dependent on the citizenship and the resident status of the applicant. Due to its location at the heart of Europe, Germany is an important transit country. The vast majority of travellers do not need a visa when airtransitting through Germany. However, citizens of some countries do need an airport transit visa.
Please note that an airport transit visa only allows a short stay in the international transit area, neither leaving the airport's international transit area nor overnight stays are possible.

The transcript clearly states that it is just for connecting flights...BTW, if your connecting flight requires a overnight stay , Airport transit visa is not enough.. you need to apply for a regular visa....

You need to have a Transit visa even if the connecting flights gates are right opposite to each other.....BTW, my friends flight through Paris was also like that.. No airport change.. No Terminal change.. Just a gate change........

This is a new requirement .. so travellers beware......

Little deviation

Sorry about this folks. A little deviation from the original subject

Look at the article metioned in TheStreet.com:

"This week, Delta Air Lines (DAL:NYSE - news - commentary - research - analysis) became the latest to add a fee, charging customers $25 if their bag is over 50 pounds and $80 for bags over 70 pounds. Delta refuses to check any bags over 100 pounds."

Given this kind of new rules from Airlines, any of you should consider a different airline. Avoid delta airlines for any international travel specially for India. Forget about Delta miles and other amenities for frequent fliers. Choice is penalties vs. miles. If I have to choose, I would choose a different airline which would let me take my good old 70lb bags for no extra charge.

about delta rule of weight restriction on baggage

is only applicable to domestic (within US) flights, not international flights at least not to the flights to India.

Verified....

I called today morning to the German consulate in Atlanta and confirmed. You don't need transit visa if you have AP with you.