Airport notification question

osm

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

My wife is going to Pakistan on vacation. She has a advance parole document.

Does any body know if she is required to notify any agency at the airport. I know for male Pakistanis that used to be a requirement.

If she is required to notify any body, what is the procedure.

thanks,

osm

My wife just came back from India with out any problems when going or coming back. She wasn't asked to notify anything when leaving, but she has to go to a second level verification as is done for every AP traveller.
May be good if you talk to Attorney ..just incase

There are no restrictions while travelling on AP. Just carry a copy of the 485 receipt. And a number of copies of the AP itself. Your wife will be asked to go for secondary inspection, but then everyone travelling on AP has to do the same.

I guess you are asking about NSEERS related reporting. the answer is no, ladies and kids are exempt. I am from a special registration country and I had to close registration before leaving but my wife and kid did not have to do anything except surrendering I-94s. Also, as others mentioned, every AP holder has to go through secodary inspection but are exempt from fingerprinting and photo taking at the port of entry while returning to US.
-NS

Related question ....

When you return to the US on AP, which line do you need to stand in ?
- The usual non-imigrants line (or)
- The Citizens and GC Holders line ??

Thanks !

Did anyone travel on AP (VISA stamping on the passport has expired) via Paris????? I checked with air-india and they say you need transit VISA for Paris.

North Star,

You are correct. I was talking about NSEERS. So as you said, she doesn't need to notify before leaving. I did send an email to my attorney this morning. The response I got from the para-legal was that she does not need to notify any body. I am not sure if the para-legal asked the attorney or just responded to my question on her own. Seems like she is correct thoguh..

Anyways, do you know if males are required to notify under NSEERS. Also, do you know if that applied to people waiting for adjustment of status.

Rapide1,

My wife is going through England, and she had to get a Curb side transit visa. The plane is going to stop in Manchester for two hours but she still need to get this visa. I called British Counsalate in LA and they confirmed it. Best thing to do is check with the French Embessay.

osm

140_takes_4ever said:
:) If you are a GC holder/citizen you stand in the GC holder/citizen line if you are not then you DON'T! :)

depends on the airport... in Chicago for instance, there are 2 lines... one for GC holders and permanent residents and the other for visa holders. Since I had no visa and the other line looked shorter, I used the other line with no problems.

osm said:
North Star,

You are correct. I was talking about NSEERS. So as you said, she doesn't need to notify before leaving. I did send an email to my attorney this morning. The response I got from the para-legal was that she does not need to notify any body. I am not sure if the para-legal asked the attorney or just responded to my question on her own. Seems like she is correct thoguh..

Anyways, do you know if males are required to notify under NSEERS. Also, do you know if that applied to people waiting for adjustment of status.

Rapide1,

My wife is going through England, and she had to get a Curb side transit visa. The plane is going to stop in Manchester for two hours but she still need to get this visa. I called British Counsalate in LA and they confirmed it. Best thing to do is check with the French Embessay.

osm
osm,
It depends. If the male had to go to local BCIS/USCIS office for special registration, then he has to close it at the airport. Even though NSEERS have stopped requiring you to renew registration every year, the registration is open until:
- The male get his 485 approval and closes registration during passport stamping.
- Goes out of country, in which case he has to close registration at the airport.

Certain people who entered US on AP just before the NSEERS was announced was exempt from registration. If the male is one of those, no need to notify anyone.

Bottom line is: if you have registered ever, you have to close it.

To close registration at the airport: go to airlines counter, take boarding card and tell them that you need to keep your I-94 for closing registration. Then take I-94, passport and boarding pass to INS room. They will close registration and stamp your passport and I-94. Go back to airlines counter and give them the I-94. During reentry, if you use AP then you are exempt from any fingerprinting.

gopher97 said:
depends on the airport... in Chicago for instance, there are 2 lines... one for GC holders and permanent residents and the other for visa holders. Since I had no visa and the other line looked shorter, I used the other line with no problems.

:) It is like saying, "I was drunk and drove my car home, which means drunken driving is legal!" :)

140_takes_4ever said:
:) It is like saying, "I was drunk and drove my car home, which means drunken driving is legal!" :)

So u would have stood in the 'visa holders' line with no visa? It is like saying, "I was hitchhiking on the interstate, which means hitchhiking is legal!" :)

gopher,

Unfortunately your analogy dint make sense to me, either I am missing something here or it was inapropriate for the situation. :( The actual point is legal demarkation between citizen's and green card holders on one side with visa holders on the other. I would imagine that using an AP has a lot more similarities with visa holders as compared to GC/citizens.

Not to argue with success (the fact that you actually did it), but it is very presumptious to assume that it would work every time.

I agree with 140_takes_4ever.
True that I did not have a visa but I had a visa substitute. It was more true that I did not have a citizenship or a green card.
But the port of entry lines are a little confusing at the least. Which line do you think all the visa waiver guys should use?

140_takes_4ever said:
gopher,

Unfortunately your analogy dint make sense to me, either I am missing something here or it was inapropriate for the situation. :( The actual point is legal demarkation between citizen's and green card holders on one side with visa holders on the other. I would imagine that using an AP has a lot more similarities with visa holders as compared to GC/citizens.

Not to argue with success (the fact that you actually did it), but it is very presumptious to assume that it would work every time.

I thought my analogy made at least as much sense as urs. The first thing I told the immigration officer was that I was not sure if I am in the right line and she said that I was. I would have been a total idiot to stand in the longer 'visa holders' line without a visa only to be told that I was in the wrong line.

May be we can start a campaign to request special lines for AP holders?
:) :) :)

Anyway, in the big scheme of things, who cares which line u stand in as long as they let u back in the country?

Peace out bro!

North_Star said:
I agree with 140_takes_4ever.
True that I did not have a visa but I had a visa substitute. It was more true that I did not have a citizenship or a green card.
But the port of entry lines are a little confusing at the least. Which line do you think all the visa waiver guys should use?

The sign that mentioned 'visa holders' also said 'visitors' which would include visa waiver guys. I agree that the lines are confusing, like I said earlier, it really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things.

gopher97 said:
I thought my analogy made at least as much sense as urs.
Actually I thought my analogy made perfect sense, it was to show that if you do something wrong (illegal) and don't get caught, does not imply that the illegal act was legal in nature. But FYI, in San Francisco/LA, it clearly mentions, citizens/permanant residents Vs. Non citizens/visa holders/others, leaving no ambiguity as to which line to stand in. A little surprised that the immigration officer din't complain, but I would put that down to your good luck (looks and charm). Going by that logic, I have always stood in the visa line and in my past 4 entries on AP, at different airports, and no one has ever told me I was in the wrong line. Accademically speaking I would still advise people to stand in the visa line.

But offcourse as you mentioned, it doesn't matter as long as your are allowed into the country. :)

*sigh* and the waiting continues for the green card.

140_takes_4ever said:
I would put that down to your good luck (looks and charm)

dude, if I had all that, I would have been in the sack with a pretty immigration officer with a US passport in my hands.

140_takes_4ever said:
*sigh* and the waiting continues for the green card.

At least we killed 1 more day in the wait by debating about which line to stand in! On to the next debate... why are panties plural and bra singular?
:confused: :confused: :confused: