Air Inida Flight at Newark, NJ

gc_menia

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

For those of New Jersian who don't like to to drive at JFK Airport to drop/pick up their loved one who fly through Air India.

Air India is going to start service( Newark-london-Mumbai) from 12th Dec.

Thanks

Great News.

Hi

I knew about Air India starting flights from Newark. I can't wait to see it started.

After flying few different Airlines, I don't find any major diff. between those foreign airlines and Air India. I will be more thatn happy to travel by Air India (I hate to go to JFK).

How do other members feel about travelling by Air India????

-Sujaksh

Hope its good..

I have never travelled from Air India before but just bought the ticket from Newark to Madras for jan..Good deal $1000/-.

I am really looking forward to it..thinking there will be indian movies, desi khaana and stuff..Hopefully it will be as much fun as I am expecting..

Thanks.

Oct1202 is right

Newark India has a transit at Paris and not London.

It starts late around midnight 11:50 PM or 12:10 AM and it should be very convenient for those travelling to Bombay but might miss connecting flights for others taking transit flights.

Anyways one new flight which helps avoiding traffic on Belt Pkwy

Re: Hope its good..

Originally posted by GC- SaaGaa
I have never travelled from Air India before but just bought the ticket from Newark to Madras for jan..Good deal $1000/-.

I am really looking forward to it..thinking there will be indian movies, desi khaana and stuff..Hopefully it will be as much fun as I am expecting..

Thanks.

You are one among many who are "over" excited about the movies and food on flights....

I believe you have a good home theater system at home and watched all new films .. also ate desi food on Oak Tree.. probably far better than the tasteless junk food that will be supplied on flights .. on the name of nutrition

Everybody says, there is no major difference from Air India, I agree. Only difference I felt was Toilets, They are disgusting, Sometimes they are not even cleaned in London.
Try Eva or Singapore, Personal opinion :they were the best, and sometimes even Eva have good rates.

Hello Guys,

This post is just to let you know about AI's new service from Newark,NJ. Ofcourse this is just for New Jersian's and may be some New-Yorkers and some surrounding states who can benefits from it.

It is not for criticizing Air India's food and toilets.

come on guys, it is our deshi airlines. No matter how good or bad service is but it is helpful for lots of people and some of them are our parents who have difficulty to understand english.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the best part is if your parents are 65 or older then the tickets are at half-price

sujay

what is Eva?

personally i think air india is really good if you can control your
bowels:)
they have some good food, and even stewardesses are smiling
nowadays!

Eva is taiwanese airlines.
About controlling the bowels, stop writing trash.
I had my personal experience with my mother,and child,no place to change diapers even.
Inspite of all this, I have travelled in Air India most of the times because east or west India is the best.and I felt why give business to other airlines when our air india was losing money. Because of our patriotism, it has recorded profit after many years of losses.
I was not blaming air india with toilets, It is in London where they should clean it . Also you should notice the gates where usually it stops in London. Our Mumbai airports are better.

With the risk of being called unpatriotic, this is my opinion ...

Only once I have flown AI (Mumbai-NY) during my 9yrs in US. When compared to that flight, the only other AI flight (domestic) that I have undertaken seemed far far better! That domestic flight was way back in Jan. 93 and was excellent to the point where AirHostesses (flight attendants to be politically correct) were smiling and were willing to happily assist me with mundane things like a missing pair of headphones! I think it is safe to say "forget it" now.

But, this BOM-JFK flight was a disaster from the start. To start with, the flight was delayed by 5 hours! The whole plane (747-400) rattled like crazy on take off! The seats were unbelievably crammed, even by economy class standards!!!

And to top that, the tail was shaking like crazy, as if it was about to come off! This isn't a gentle toss here and there but a constant up-down and side-to-side rattle that without holding on to the seats' head-rests it was impossible to walk to the lavatory and back.

The flight attendant couldn't smile if their life depended on it (probably she was a trainee).

The food was ok, nothing to complain there.

But, someone's comfort was that AI is better for our parents as some of them have difficulty understanding english. What I observed during my IAD-BOM Delta flight was that the Frankfurt-BOM leg was serviced by an all-Desi cabin crew; 20s flight attendants, smiling & helpful.

And what I have heard about AI is, when it is good, it is good! But, when it is bad, it is unbearable! This is from many friends and relatives who have flown AI, missed the connections quite a few times and have had a horrible time during the journey.

When I travelling to India from US and have such a long journey, I am more concerned about how clean the toilets are. I don't want to be sick because of that. I have to goto India in Jan and I was thinking to take this Newark flight but not any more...
I have travelled only by LuftHansa and AirFrance so far, what are other good airlines which could be not too expansive also.

Dear Sweetie,

Health Concern:

No one is forcing you to fly through AI. By any chance you use AI in future accidently or minstakenly, Use mask while using AI toilets.
U won't be sick by using AI's hot food or toilets. make sure you use boiled water while ur trip to india to not to get sickness.

Safty Concern:

For your information, Air France's concord hit on ground before 2 or 3 yrs back and killed lots of people. AI never had such accident

"Namaskar, Air India ke aaj ke udane me hum aap ka hardik swagat karete hai".

Ok guys, this is my take on not trashing Air India because it is our desi airlines. I beleive Air India(or any other service in India) can get away with dirty toilets and late flights because, we desis dont speak out against them. When we dont like something, we should either speak out or vote with our wallets, rather than meekly complying to substandard services. AI is never going to improve as long as they know that Indians are going to fly AI just because they feel "patriotic". In fact, I would say it's unpatriotic not to complain, because complaining gives AI an opportunity to improve itself.

Having said that, I agree that AI is good for parents who cant speak and understand english

A little OT, what do you guys think about transit airports? Which do you think is the best? I like Heathrow the best. I didnt like Paris at all.. the signs were confusing. The sign for the women's restroom was hidden by another sign. So, almost all women would miss it and walk into the men's restroom. It was fun watching women look for restrooms and by mistake land inside the men's restroom, and then pedal back and finally give up. And people smoke in the airport even though there are No smoking signs everywhere. I was talking to a guy, and he said the signs in french say "Please put your ciggerrets(sic) out", so people put them out after they have finished smoking.. I thought that was funny

Jayesh, who has nothing better to do at transit airports"

Has Air India started making seat assignments in advance ? This is one thing that prevents me from flying with them, I would like to make my seat assignments at the time of booking and not at the time of check in . Last year they were making seat assignments only at the time of booking only if you were a party of six of more. I don't know what prevents them from making seat assignments at the time of booking when all other Airlines (that I have travelled with - Lufthansa, Air France, KLM, British Airlines) lets you do that ?

Whats the fare on this Flight till BOMBAY.. does this flight go everyday or just some days in a week. Please let me know.