Age difference between spouse & myself...

wannabe_texan

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have my GC interview next Friday. My spouse is USC and we're very much in love. But there's a 20+ year age difference between us. I realize that this might cause some red flag in the examiner's mind - anybody have any advice for us? We're preparing all the docs as requested in the interview notice, but I thought we might get some extra questions because of it...

Thanks!

20+ age difference will definately raise a flag, but as said before, if you have a real, bonafide marriage and you can prove that you weren't married to evade immigration laws, then you have nothing to worry about. Just relax, be calm, explain yourself well and you'll be fine. :)

Thanks!

Yes, we're definitely for real :) I love him so much, I can't bear the thought of not being with him... I'm just so jittery (like everyone else here), what will they ask, do I have enough evidence etc etc... Congratulations to you guys who were approved recently - that's fantastic!!

Hello my husband is 14 years older than me i had my interview and still am not approved i wish you luck.You may be lucky if your marriage is not interracial it all depends on your interviewing officer and his/her mood on that day .

Thanks fedup for sharing your experience... sorry to hear about it... did you get any particularly tough questions on the age issue at the interview? I know on paper, my husband & I's age difference seems a lot, but I know that people who've met us 'new' as a couple, don't notice it. So I'm hoping that the fact that he has all his hair, and that I look mature for my age :D , will somehow influence... No, we're not an interracial couple (both white, blonde haired, blue eyed types) but as I said we have a much bigger age gap than you. Gosh, I'm nervous :eek:

I just wanted to update this thread for posterity in case others search on Age difference in the future. We had our interview yesterday (Sept 8), and the officer was exceptionally nice, and asked absolutely nothing about our large age difference. Our joint evidence was quite strong though, we bought a house together and we've been remodeling it for the last 3 months. I think some of it comes down to how you look as a couple, and your overall bearing and attitude together in the interview. Our interview lasted about 15mins, after waiting for about 30mins over our appointment time. And she said 'your card will be mailed to you in about 2 weeks', she did not stamp my passport. I had voluminous amounts of joint evidence prepared and a second file of all copies, but she just asked for the big stuff, like the house, joint bank account, home insurance and that's it.

I haven't done our timeline, but our ND was something like 05/26/2006, had an RFE for detailed bank statements (my husband is retired, so little 'income' but plenty of assets), FP appointment was scheduled for June, but we didn't get the notice until the day after, so I rescheduled it, which came back with a date of a week after our Interview date, so I went as a walk in a couple of days before the interview. Approved 09/08/06, now waiting for GC in the mail.

NeShawn said:
Can somebody tell me if I can have a joint acount without a social security Number since my spouse is USC

I tried to add my mother to my bank account with Chase. My mom has an ITIN (Interim Tax ID Number) but the bank required proof of US residence, such as a drivers' license. Since she resides in Pakistan the bank refused my request.

If you have a tax ID number and some proof of residence your bank may allow your spouse to add you to his account, so check with your bank.

come again pls

Thanks for your response since I don't have ITIN how can I get one ?Please let me know now

ejazharoon said:
Use form W-7 on the IRS website:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

It is advisable that you consult with your bank to see what their requirements are. It may be prudent to check with a tax accountant due to possible tax remifications of filing a W-7.

Do you happen to know how long it takes to get a ITIN after applying. Our interview date is on oct 17.. and I dont have EAD yet

Unfortunately IRS changed the rule in 2004. Since then you can only attach W-7(s) for your dependent(s) to get his/her/their ITIN(s) when you file your tax return.

NeShawn said:
Can somebody tell me if I can have a joint acount without a social security Number since my spouse is USC

There is loophole to everything. My spouse just applied for SSN last week but she has been added to my account already!! This is what we did. My spouse has a cousin that works for Washington Mutual and she opened a joint account for us. Please don't ask me how she was able to do it because I do not know! After my wife got her Debit Card, we went to my bank (Citibank) and asked them to add her to my account. We told them that if other banks were able to open an account without a SSN, they should be able to do it as well and if they do not do that, I would just move my money from their bank to another bank. They obliged. I know that joint account is very important and so I wanted to make sure that she gets added to my account before the interview. So the moral of the story is that you can add a person without a SSN to your account.

hello again can I use the USCIS A# on my receipt to apply for bank acount?
secondly, what is the difference between Alien number and the USCIS A# printed on the receipt? please I need explanation

Last edited by a moderator:
hello again can I use the USCIS A# on my receipt to apply for bank acount?
secondly, what is the difference between Alien number and the USCIS A# printed on the receipt? please I need explanation

NeShawn,

Your A# and alien number are the same thing. I don't think you can use it for a bank account. Your best bet is to get an ITIN number I think.

You might get a faster response to your questions, if you post a new thread on the forum, rather than posting to this one.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your application!