After we are legally married (I'm US citizen), could my wife apply for GC right away?

tr3

Registered Users (C)
After we are legally married (I'm a US citizen), could my wife apply for GC right away?

Yes. You (and not she) have to apply for her Green card.
You need to file I-130,I-485(adjustment of status) and optionally I-131(Advance parole). You can get all that info on uscis.gov.

Disclaimer: This is not a legal advice

You should be able to apply right away. But you don't give enough information to say for sure that you go the adjustment of status process.
If your wife is in the US and she entered legally and her background is clean then you would file adjustment of status. Some forms are filed by you some by her. If she is outside of the US you can use other processes.

tr3 said:
After we are legally married (I'm a US citizen), could my wife apply for GC right away?

It depends how/when you got your GC (… I know you are a citizen, kindly read complete paragraph) . If you got your GC through spouse, then you need to wait for 5 years from your GC approval day to apply for your (new) spouse, in all other cases you can start right away.

You need to file I-130 and she needs to file I-485 (and/or I-765/130 etc).

JimGren2005 said:
Yes. You (and not she) have to apply for her Green card.
You need to file I-130,I-485(adjustment of status) and optionally I-131(Advance parole). You can get all that info on uscis.gov.

Disclaimer: This is not a legal advice

JimGren2005, you are wrong. The non USC has to file I-485, I-131 and I-765. The USC only files the I-130. In a sense both have to apply together for her Green Card.

Go Bucks

usnycus said:
It depends how/when you got your GC (… I know you are a citizen, kindly read complete paragraph) . If you got your GC through spouse, then you need to wait for 5 years from your GC approval day to apply for your (new) spouse, in all other cases you can start right away.

USNYCUS did you consider the possibility, that he is a US citizen who was born in the USA and never had a GC. :)

Go Bucks

bucks.rule said:
USNYCUS did you consider the possibility, that he is a US citizen who was born in the USA and never had a GC. :)

Go Bucks

".......... in all other cases, you can start right away."

Yes I did consider ....